Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No flooding workarounds?  (Read 1257 times)

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No flooding workarounds?
« on: October 20, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

Has anyone found a way to work around the bug where, if the magma river floods when you break into it, the cave river (sometimes?) permanently stops flooding? Not including reclaiming, as I don't particularly want to have to work up a bunch of novice dwarves again. This is the version where there is no announcement and no flooding.

I had a very nice game going on a glacier map featuring huge mined areas around either side of the river for tower cap farming so I could finally get some wood, but unfortunately the bug has hit me.

Incidentally, glacier maps (which must be fairly rare, as I've played a lot of freezing/no tree/no vegetation maps and have always gotten tundra) have the interesting feature that any disconnected channel made outside of the mountain fills with water when completed. Nice touch. If the cave river worked, I'd keep playing to see what happens when you lava flood a glacier.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No flooding workarounds?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:58:00 am »

Why don't you use floodgates to farm? It isn't that hard, just make sure you have 2 and an insolated chamber. It's how I do it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »

wow, ill have to try one of those maps.  glaciers are pretty appearant on the world map, when you view it in color.  you could just check your tan-map against the color one to verify your starting spot is really on a glacier.

ive always been too scared to play a map without trees, though.  no beds, no bins, no barrels?  likely unreachable for most trade?  need some brave dwarves for that.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »

It's a rough start. I am on a freezing/terrifying map, but only 1 person died to a werewolf. I just have them all sleep on the floor and have all the food cooked making it not need a barrel.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

Bring extra booze with your points. that gets you wagons. wagons are beds. hit the river, get towercaps.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 01:40:00 am »

The barren maps are slow to start.  It takes 4 years before you actually get a good source of wood (I don't think you can dig the tree rooms and flood them in the first year on top of all the other rooms).  I usually spend two years before the river on those digging the tree rooms then head straight for the magma.  The first four years are tough and all but one piece of wood is spent on beds for the nobles.

In general, they're not really too tough.  I started one fortress a while back where I pretended 5 of my dwarves were criminals and the two guards who were to leave them in the middle of nowhere took pity on them and decided to use the few supplies to start a small colony.  I even brought one cage per dwarf.

I keep going on tangents =[

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by psychologicalshock:
I have all the food cooked making it not need a barrel.

Prepared food will rot if not on a stockpile/in a barrel.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 05:22:00 am »

"Glacier" type maps are my favorites. Without wood, you're forced to use workarounds to supply your beds, barrels, and bins (even though you can only make barrels out of metal). It makes the game slightly tougher in that the glaciers usually have more aggressive enemies like ice wolves, frost men, and polar bears, and you also need to deal with the negative thoughts that come from your dwarves not having a bed to sleep in for most of your fortress's duration.

Another interesting bonus that I noted in another thread (it caused a bug  :( ) is that if you fire off a catapult, it breaks a hole in the ice, making that area a permanent river. Personally, I find this a very nice touch, and have taken it upon myself to make the opposing side of the map a complete river using this method.

Also, you can't build roads on a glacier map. You need to build bridges  ;).

Sobaalissimo

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:24:00 am »

You don't need wood for bins or barrels. You can make metal barrels and glass bins.
Just hit for teh magma river as fast as you can.
If you build a big enough meeting hall your dorfs won't mind sleeping on the floor.
And then, after few years you can build towercap beds.

But wait, wasn't that topic originally about flooding?!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 09:20:00 am »

Making metal barrels is incredibly inneficient (3 bars for 1 measly barrel), and you can't make bins out of anything but wood.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

You can make glass "boxes" which are actually chests, not bins.

Beds and bins are only made from wood (be it surface trees or tower caps).

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »

I'd really like an alternative to wooden bins though. And beds to be honest, but I'll live. Glass bins would be handy, or metal.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »

You'd think dwarfs would be crafty enough to make an alternative like sleeping bags.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »

You can make bins out of adamantine.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 01:02:00 am »