Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 309837 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.05 (Remaining XML Data)
« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:13 pm »

Hello!  I'm pretty sure the hex error from Legends Viewer is the usual bug where dfhack stores non-printable data structures in historical figures, and then the export is 'toxic' to Legends Viewer.  It's most common from workflow, but other tools use it too - I've arranged for a fix to be in the next version of dfhack but that's not helping yet. 

Adding files individually sounds like a good way to test - but I think what's happening is it waits to have all four selected, then tries to load them and runs into the legends.xml problem.  One part of the legends processing script removes problematic lines, so it's probably a good pick in this case. 

Troubleshooting the processing script is trickier, because I know of more things that could go wrong!  (just saw new post)  Ok, latest version, that makes things a little easier.  Are you using r51 or later of my starter pack?  If so, there's a dfhack tool (exportlegends) bound to shift-A in legends mode which will export everything you need to run the Legends processor.  You shouldn't need to do any pre-processing!

If the XML is coming out at 0B, that sounds like a problem...  the way my processor 'cleans' the file is to copy every line that doesn't have the problem into a new file, then replace the old with the new.  So either the whole file is corrupted, even the bits that aren't exported info, (about as likely as a new file spontaneously coming into existence) or I don't understand what's happening :(.

So, given the small size of the XML, you've probably got to do it by hand. 

And, while I was writing this, ... Bingo.  Run the following as a batch file in the same folder as your legends file, and enjoy the lack of crashing viewer. 

You can either use this, or open the xml in Notepad++ (which shows non-printing characters/control characters as labelled black blobs) and do a find-and-replace to change them into spaces. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Heavygain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 07, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »

Got it with notepad ++, thanks so much!

Edit: Later on, I discovered the dfhack command "workflow unlimit-all" command which makes the files work absolutely fine pretty much work free. I figured I'd throw this up here in case anyone runs into the issues I was having in the future, just type that into dfhack after you back up your save and then abandon the fort and export, you will have completely functioning xml and map files.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:47:45 am by Heavygain »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2014, 01:25:18 pm »

Any idea how I can populate all the [UNKNOWN_HISTORICAL_FIGURE] spaces?  I seem to be missing a big chunk of names...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:12 pm »

Nothing much, unfortunately - it's the files exported from DF that are incomplete. Ensuring that history is all revealed in world gen settings will help a little, but you've probably already got that.
 Donations here.

leacasas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:24 am »

Does anyone know if this application is being maintained at all? I have been looking at the source code and I would love to fork it...

Hello All btw, I was a long time lurker until I decided to join the forum

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »

Uploaded a new version. Only fixes an issue with an error popping up when scrolling on pages.

I'm not really active with the Dwarf Fortress community anymore, haven't played in a long long time. I stopped receiving emails from this thread so I've been unaware of anything going on here. I always try to pick up the project and do something with it, but always get sidetracked. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on it either so not sure what should be done with it. I'm always open to collaborators.  Some parts of the project are still a mess, so feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to answer them.

leacasas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 12, 2014, 09:36:39 am »

Uploaded a new version. Only fixes an issue with an error popping up when scrolling on pages.

I'm not really active with the Dwarf Fortress community anymore, haven't played in a long long time. I stopped receiving emails from this thread so I've been unaware of anything going on here. I always try to pick up the project and do something with it, but always get sidetracked. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on it either so not sure what should be done with it. I'm always open to collaborators.  Some parts of the project are still a mess, so feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Hello Parker! I'm happy that you replied back. Do not worry about the quality of the code, is just that I've been using your app a lot and always thought a few things that I would like to add to it (I started to use it because it is integrated in the Masterwork bundle). I would love to contribute if you are open to it.  :D

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 12, 2014, 08:23:40 pm »

Anyone is more than welcome to contribute.

a124-kun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 16, 2014, 05:22:05 pm »

Won't launch for me. It don't even show any errors, just "loading" cursor for a while and then — nothing. Tried to turn off the antivirus, to launch with administrator's rights — no result.
Windows 7 x32. It works on my virtual machine and on my notebook (which also has got Windows 7).
How can I solve this problem?

UPD: After some experiments noticed that any program (to be clear, executable files) downloaded from DFFD won't launch on my PC. Maybe someone also had such a problem?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:12:47 pm by a124-kun »

logodaedalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 20, 2014, 07:27:29 pm »

Just wanted to give a heads up...I'm going to be creating a fork of this for a final project in a Generative Methods graduate course. The hope is to use contextual grammars to create a brief "The Story of X" based on analysis of event types / flags etc.

First off, thanks so much Parker147 for creating this amazing wrapper for the PCG in DF, and even more thanks for putting it up in a repo!

Are there types of historical figures or types of stories that seem like good candidates to people? I'm tempted to start with vampires because of the raising suspicion of agelessness in villages etc. Seems like good fodder. Either that, or zeroing in on figures who seem to be involved in many key battles.

I don't have the disposition to play Dwarf Fortress myself (even though I find it fascinating) so most of this is a statistical analysis of the data export. If anyone has insight things that would point to interesting stories, I'd appreciate it! Otherwise, I'll post a link to my fork here when I get it tidied up.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 20, 2014, 11:24:39 pm »

Are there types of historical figures or types of stories that seem like good candidates to people? I'm tempted to start with vampires because of the raising suspicion of agelessness in villages etc. Seems like good fodder. Either that, or zeroing in on figures who seem to be involved in many key battles.
I'd look for creatures with unusually high numbers of kills - they've usually lived long enough that there's some pretty interesting stuff linked to them.  Rulers of various groups are also pretty good. 

Just wanted to give a heads up...I'm going to be creating a fork of this for a final project in a Generative Methods graduate course. The hope is to use contextual grammars to create a brief "The Story of X" based on analysis of event types / flags etc.
Is this more of a standalone thing, or are you talking about an interpreter that takes a page of the obviously-procedural text that is currently displayed and replaces it with something more natural?  Either is awesome, but I've been hoping for the later for years...
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 21, 2014, 05:08:57 am »

Is this more of a standalone thing, or are you talking about an interpreter that takes a page of the obviously-procedural text that is currently displayed and replaces it with something more natural?  Either is awesome, but I've been hoping for the later for years...

As great as Legends Viewer is, it is still ripe for adding new features. I could think of a bunch of stuff off the top of my head (I think I mentioned a few a page or two ago). Adding something that makes a prose-like story out of historical events is certainly one.

Of course as XML exports aren't yet complete on DF's end, there'll be some issues and it'll be imperfect until Toady can clean that up.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 21, 2014, 06:56:13 am »

First off, thanks so much Parker147 for creating this amazing wrapper for the PCG in DF, and even more thanks for putting it up in a repo!

I don't have the disposition to play Dwarf Fortress myself (even though I find it fascinating) so most of this is a statistical analysis of the data export. If anyone has insight things that would point to interesting stories, I'd appreciate it! Otherwise, I'll post a link to my fork here when I get it tidied up.

Finding the interesting stories of the Dwarf Fortress world is another thing I've wanted to do but never done. My sort of heuristic idea to do this would be to create a graph of historical figures, entities, sites etc and try to find cycles in the graph in hopes of finding some interesting things. I feel like cycles would be able to find clusters of interrelated historical figures and events. Then also along with just putting more weight on rulers, werebeasts, etc. The only other way I've thought about doing it would be having sort of premade "storylines" that Legends Viewer would search for, such as just looking for vampires that do some predefined interesting things. Will be interesting to see what awesome things you can do!

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2014, 07:19:38 am »

I wanted to duplicate my older post here, cause it had some ideas/bugs that I noticed:

-First, I seem to have an issue with Legends Viewer in a non-US default encoding (Japanese), where the special characters come up as gibberish. Even AppLocale doesn't fix the problem, so maybe it's an issue with the encoding of the world data files, I don't know.

-When I run the program, I get a dozen or two "can't find historical figure" errors, all ones with special characters in their names. I imagine this may be due to the issue above.

I also had some suggestions:

-Can the historical figures' entries also include their native language names? The game uses both interchangeably so it can make finding figures difficult sometimes. It seems LV already does this for sites.

-It'd be nice if LV could save loaded alternate maps, instead of purging them after navigating away. Or even better, auto-load all the alternate maps on start, and let us freely switch among them.

-Is it possible to show the locations of regions (like deserts, oceans, etc.) on the map or do the game files not have that information? Somehow DF knows where they are.

Thanks to Parker147 for fixing one of my previous bugs.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2014, 07:45:01 am »

Will be interesting to see what awesome things you can do!

We can all agree on this!

It'd be nice if LV could save loaded alternate maps, instead of purging them after navigating away. Or even better, auto-load all the alternate maps on start, and let us freely switch among them.

This would be really cool, particularly since all the map-maker scripts output compatible maps - you could go for the tile map, biome+elevation, and a satellite map.  Awesome combo!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44