Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 309901 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.04
« Reply #390 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »

I mentioned this to you in the other thread, Knutor, but you have to select both the "Legends XML / Archive" plus a "Map Image" before hitting load or it will crash on you.  (I prefer to use the trading map for this.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:55:57 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »

Try the beta version I posted above. It is a little better at selecting files. When you select the XML File it will attempt to find the other files automatically in that same directory as the XML. If it doesn't find the files it will color the box red, indicating that you will need to manually select each of those files. Once given all the files it will start loading, indicated by the big text right below the file selectors. It looks like I forgot to disable these buttons while the world is being loaded so do not click on them while it is loading.

I've loaded XML files that were GBs in size so that isn't the issue and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to load, usually less than a minute in my experience. The files can be placed anywhere too. Give the beta version a shot and if it is still giving you issues, post the errors as they will at least provide some clue as to what is going on.

I mentioned this to you in the other thread, Knutor, but you have to select both the "Legends XML / Archive" plus a "Map Image" before hitting load or it will crash on you.  (I prefer to use the trading map for this.)
Yeah in the beta I removed the load button. Now it will force you to select all the files and indicates what it needs better and will automatically start loading when it gets everything it needs.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6531

That should be the region with the lost artifact event.
It was genned in 34.11.

Edit: Just abandoned a copy of my current fort. It brought these up:

Code: [Select]
Unknown Death Cause: scuttled
Unknown Death Cause: scared to death

Other than that it was fine, but not a whole lot has happened in my fort beside rather generic siege, spiral, siege, spiral.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:26:22 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »

Updated problem
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.msg3384757#msg3384757

Does it matter that I opened the xml I'm using in Notepad++?  Will that corrupt it, I guess I'm asking? 
Also, DF says this XML is (incomplete). 

Will it still work, even with these oddities?

Works here, by using more specific trade map. Openned fresh files out of the DF folder.  XML flag, (incomplete) has no bearing on outcome.  Take care, Knutor
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:43:47 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:01 am »

It was genned in 34.11.

Other than that it was fine, but not a whole lot has happened in my fort beside rather generic siege, spiral, siege, spiral.

Thanks for the artifact lost save. If you could find those deaths in the in-game legends and copy down what they saw word for word I can take care of them without needing to look at a save.

Updated problem
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.msg3384757#msg3384757

Does it matter that I opened the xml I'm using in Notepad++?  Will that corrupt it, I guess I'm asking? 
Also, DF says this XML is (incomplete). 

Will it still work, even with these oddities?

Simply opening it up wouldn't mess with anything and the Incomplete just means that data is missing so in my viewer you will see "UNKNOWN" here and there which is just data not in the XML. It looks like you got it working though. From that error it looks like it could have just been a bad export from Dwarf Fortress and it seems you re-exported everything so that is my guess. Sorry that it was a hassle to get working. Do you have an suggestions that might have made it easier to use? Its easy for me to use because I made the thing, and easy for me to overlook something that might make it difficult for someone else to use.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:21 am »

Just tried 1.13.05b and found out that the stuff that is rendered on top of the map is badly offset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the exported trade map, so you can see how offset the rendered trade routes are:

This is where it places my fortress, the second image is from 1.13.04:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:18:59 am by uggi »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 19, 2012, 10:03:05 am »

It was genned in 34.11.

Thanks for the artifact lost save. If you could find those deaths in the in-game legends and copy down what they saw word for word I can take care of them without needing to look at a save.

Let's see:
In the early winter of 254, 'Almond' was scared to death by 'Melon' Glenink the Barricaded Faction of Flame in Inkblot the Colorless Blotches.
In the late summer of 253, the wagon was scuttled in Inkblot the Colorless Blotches.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

Do you have an suggestions that might have made it easier to use? Its easy for me to use because I made the thing, and easy for me to overlook something that might make it difficult for someone else to use.

One thing comes to my mind, immediately.  I'd add another catagory right there inbetween the Getting the data from Dwarf Fortress: and the Using Legends Viewer: in the README. 

It would be an elaborated step 7.  I'd call this new catagory. Configuring Viewer with your Data:  Keep others, just have three catagories in README, instead of 2.

i. Retrieving your Data from Dwarf Fortress:
ii. Configuring Viewer for your Data: (step 7 from i.)
iii. Operating Legends Viewer with your Data:

Good app for understanding and uncovering histories and locations.  I will have suggestions after I play more with it.  I like it.  I would never have found the skill levels on a mature dragon and dragonslayer, without it.  Thanks, and take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »

Also in 1.13.05b: historical figures listing shows only the first ~500 creatures now.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:58 pm »

A key to the various map types. 
Pie chart of the civies. 
I'd love to be able to find out if kobolds civs counted as civ sites or as caves, in Adv Worldgen parameters.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2012, 06:21:53 am »

Just tried 1.13.05b and found out that the stuff that is rendered on top of the map is badly offset:

Here's the exported trade map, so you can see how offset the rendered trade routes are:

This is where it places my fortress, the second image is from 1.13.04:
Looks like the map is being auto-sized down when it shouldn't be. Could I see your save? It will make it easier to fix the issue and there is also some data in it I would like to take a look at.

Also in 1.13.05b: historical figures listing shows only the first ~500 creatures now.
Displaying too many historical figures in the list was causing the search to be too slow when typing in names. I didn't see much of a reason to be displaying them all. You can use the advanced search if you are looking for something more specific.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2012, 07:06:34 am »

Looks like the map is being auto-sized down when it shouldn't be. Could I see your save? It will make it easier to fix the issue and there is also some data in it I would like to take a look at.

Sure, here you go: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6538

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 25, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »

Nice product, Parker :D It's definitely a lot more usable than the horribly clunky DF legends mode. If I may, I have a few suggestions:

Could tabbed browsing be implemented? I do realize that this program can eat up a lot of RAM, but it would be really helpful when you're trying to track down relationships between historical figures.

And one more: in the overview section's charts and graphs, could you make it so that whenever you mouse over a line on, for example, the wars graph, the point you mouse over tells you what wars were going on at that time?

Again, thanks for the product :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:03 pm »

Could tabbed browsing be implemented? I do realize that this program can eat up a lot of RAM, but it would be really helpful when you're trying to track down relationships between historical figures.

FYI, this is already implemented.  Just hold down CTRL when clicking on a link and it opens in a separate tab.  (Make sure you don't use SHIFT instead, or it will try to open it in a browser and fail.)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 25, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »

FYI, this is already implemented.  Just hold down CTRL when clicking on a link and it opens in a separate tab.  (Make sure you don't use SHIFT instead, or it will try to open it in a browser and fail.)

Oh, okay. Thanks :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44