Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 309991 times)

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.05 (Remaining XML Data)
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »

I wanted to duplicate my older post here, cause it had some ideas/bugs that I noticed:

-First, I seem to have an issue with Legends Viewer in a non-US default encoding (Japanese), where the special characters come up as gibberish. Even AppLocale doesn't fix the problem, so maybe it's an issue with the encoding of the world data files, I don't know.

-When I run the program, I get a dozen or two "can't find historical figure" errors, all ones with special characters in their names. I imagine this may be due to the issue above.

I also had some suggestions:

-Can the historical figures' entries also include their native language names? The game uses both interchangeably so it can make finding figures difficult sometimes. It seems LV already does this for sites.

-It'd be nice if LV could save loaded alternate maps, instead of purging them after navigating away. Or even better, auto-load all the alternate maps on start, and let us freely switch among them.

-Is it possible to show the locations of regions (like deserts, oceans, etc.) on the map or do the game files not have that information? Somehow DF knows where they are.

Thanks to Parker147 for fixing one of my previous bugs.

For your problem I'd have to see the exports to see what is happening exactly. For you suggestions, the exports don't have the alternate names or the region boundaries, so unfortunately I can't do anything about that. The alternate maps is doable, but I'll need to rework some things.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2014, 06:54:17 am »

For your problem I'd have to see the exports to see what is happening exactly. For you suggestions, the exports don't have the alternate names or the region boundaries, so unfortunately I can't do anything about that. The alternate maps is doable, but I'll need to rework some things.

Here you are:
https://mega.co.nz/#!5pwjkLhb!JfWVe68tu8_Xm-1iQ-xXU5CkRYzm18iMRg58ucnoIEw

If you don't see anything wrong, I can send a screenshot of what it looks like on my end. In that case though it'd probably be my computer's locale's fault.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 23, 2014, 06:51:14 am »

Here you are:
https://mega.co.nz/#!5pwjkLhb!JfWVe68tu8_Xm-1iQ-xXU5CkRYzm18iMRg58ucnoIEw

If you don't see anything wrong, I can send a screenshot of what it looks like on my end. In that case though it'd probably be my computer's locale's fault.

Works fine for me. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to recreate the issue you are having to debug it.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:26 am »

Try setting your computer's default non-unicode program encoding to Japanese, and the locale (calendar, money, etc.) to Japanese and see if it messes anything up. I'm guessing that since it's not unicode, it sees those special accented characters and reads them with the wrong codeset (Japanese, maybe Shift JIS) instead of ANSI or whatever it should be. Thus for me they appear as Japanese characters.
That happens to me in a lot of other things too... Unicode really is a great thing.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:16 pm »

There's a mod that uses a bunch of nonstandard characters in its language files. The character operate fine in DF but runs into trouble with Legends Viewer.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6519

This is a XML dump from that mod.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

Hello,

First thank you very much for Legends Viewer, it makes the game world and history so much better that i can't even think to create a world without then giving a look to its legend through that program anymore, completly must have to me.

Now something i always observed with Legends Viewer, but as it has no real importance in regards to the functionalities that works perfectly, i never thought of mentionning it, but after all maybe it's something simple that eluded me for so many time , so why not ask now

When i read the legends texts, there's always those red "x" icons where i'm believe something else should be

My guess is that it's looking for picture that it does not find, but in the same time in the Legend Viewer folder i don't see any icons or picture file, so i have no idea where those pictures then should be

The readme mention
If images aren't showing up in pages or navigating pages doesn't work try updating Internet Explorer to a newer version. IE7 and up should work
I don't use IE, i use Firefox so i'm not sure if it's linked to this, but checking what version of IE is on my system, i notice that it's IE7 , so i guess this problem isn't related to what's in the readme.

Legend Viewer can display the map, so it's not apparently a problem of being unable to read images :

Any idea in how i could fix that ?

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »

Try setting your computer's default non-unicode program encoding to Japanese, and the locale (calendar, money, etc.) to Japanese and see if it messes anything up. I'm guessing that since it's not unicode, it sees those special accented characters and reads them with the wrong codeset (Japanese, maybe Shift JIS) instead of ANSI or whatever it should be. Thus for me they appear as Japanese characters.
That happens to me in a lot of other things too... Unicode really is a great thing.

Yep, just have to tell it to read the files with the right code page.

There's a mod that uses a bunch of nonstandard characters in its language files. The character operate fine in DF but runs into trouble with Legends Viewer.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6519

This is a XML dump from that mod.

I'll have to look into this more, something is wrong with the XML encoding.

Hello,

First thank you very much for Legends Viewer, it makes the game world and history so much better that i can't even think to create a world without then giving a look to its legend through that program anymore, completly must have to me.

Now something i always observed with Legends Viewer, but as it has no real importance in regards to the functionalities that works perfectly, i never thought of mentionning it, but after all maybe it's something simple that eluded me for so many time , so why not ask now

When i read the legends texts, there's always those red "x" icons where i'm believe something else should be

LegendsViewer uses IE for all the browser pages unfortunately, would still try to upgrade IE, I might have been wrong about the versions.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2014, 05:52:11 am »

Too bad it's so IE-dependent, but at least even if those icons picture are missing, the functionalities are working so in the end it's not too much of a problem fortunately

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 01, 2014, 06:33:47 pm »

Will there be an official build of 1.13.11 soon, now that this is fixed?  I'm just waiting on that for a new starter pack, so updating DFFD would be great :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 01, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »

Will there be an official build of 1.13.11 soon, now that this is fixed?  I'm just waiting on that for a new starter pack, so updating DFFD would be great :D

Done.

logodaedalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:55 pm »

Finding the interesting stories of the Dwarf Fortress world is another thing I've wanted to do but never done. My sort of heuristic idea to do this would be to create a graph of historical figures, entities, sites etc and try to find cycles in the graph in hopes of finding some interesting things. I feel like cycles would be able to find clusters of interrelated historical figures and events. Then also along with just putting more weight on rulers, werebeasts, etc. The only other way I've thought about doing it would be having sort of premade "storylines" that Legends Viewer would search for, such as just looking for vampires that do some predefined interesting things. Will be interesting to see what awesome things you can do!

Yeah, there are lots of directions this could go! Alas, as with many things my original plans have been somewhat truncated due to time, but I finished my first basic story output today. It's based on what I call a "story scaffold" of:

1. Historical figure decides to learn how to become immortal
2. Historical figure desecrates a site
3. Deity curses historical figure

An example:

The Tale of the WereBeast Kothvir Larkrelease
Kothvir's terrible obsession began in the year 400. He resolved that he would not succumb to old age, but instead would discover the secret of immortality no matter the cost. Nothing is known of what happened in the following year, but after 1 year, Kothvir found what he sought. All other avenues had been exhausted. The only remaining option was apostasy. The temple at Fruitthroats was where, with reckless abandon, Kothvir pulled down the altar and destroyed the offerings.
But Kothvir's actions had not gone unnoticed. The Sunfish god Aco, arbiter of coasts, whose lustrous form is worshiped by The Nation of Scribing, had witnessed the wanton destruction of his most holy place, and thus angered, cursed Kothvir to the horrible form of werebeast upon the light of every full moon. But Aco's fury was Kothvir's gain, for he had seized immortality, though monstrous, for his own.

Does anyone have any other lists of events they think would make a good class of stories? I'm thinking I might investigate werebeasts or vampires going on killing sprees, since story scaffolds can nest / go in sequence for each character. For example, the event sequence I used for the above showed up under a character's event log in Legends Viewer as:

In 400, midautumn, Kothvir became obsessed with his own mortality and sought to extend his life by any means.
In 401, midwinter, Kothvir profaned (17) in Fruitthroats.
In 401, midwinter, the fish sunfish ocean deity Aco Shipbeach (DEITY_CURSE_WEREBEAST_7) on Kothvir.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:10:30 pm by logodaedalus »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:07 pm »

Awesome! 

I'd look into battles and wars - there's some pretty interesting stuff, and it's pretty repetitive in places with the simple structure.  The stories of various sites are also impressive, and long enough to get a decent volume of content out.  They're also a good framework for other stories, as many lines have an "in $site" tacked on. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2014, 05:42:08 am »

I agree about the battles thing -- Legends Viewer doesn't distinguish between events of different scales, so there's no real difference between a battle where a few people are killed and a battle that kills thousands, aside from the latter's page being longer and (inevitably) having more things link to it. It'd be cool if at the very least LV could distinguish relativistically which battles/wars/civs/people/beasts were the most large/epic/deadly/significant or whatever. Of course since this varies depending on the size of the map, length of the history, and randomness, it'd need to be relative.

So many things can be added to Legends Viewer! I feel like generating a world and exporting it to LV could become just as entertaining as playing the world in DF is. Wish I knew any C++ and had free time to help, myself.

Eneverforgets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2014, 06:27:23 am »

I'm trying to use Legends Viewer with a 4.5 GB XML file, and it appears to be too big.  It basically errors out with something about "out of memory".  Any way around this?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »

I'm trying to use Legends Viewer with a 4.5 GB XML file, and it appears to be too big.  It basically errors out with something about "out of memory".  Any way around this?

Operation system? System specs?
I'd say you need a 64 bit operation system the very least. And lots of memory. Maybe you can get away with a huge swap file. And when I say huge, I mean HUUUUUUUUUGE!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44