Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 309617 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)
« Reply #600 on: January 04, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »

Just a couple of things.

Could we have the untranslated names for civilizations as well as the English?
For example, I used LegendsViewer to find an Elf site near my abandoned dwarf fortress. The elf civilization is 'The Cat of Plans'.
But Dwarf Fortress only shows the untranslated names when selecting civilizations, so I have to look up cat and plan in language_ELF.txt to find the one I want is lini nemathe

The second thing may be a little trickier (I hope not ;) )

The problem is when I move the cursor from over the site, to the pop up menu the pop up menu disappears before I can get to it. I'm using Windows 7, btw. If you could move the pop up menu a little closer to the site so it overlaps slightly I think that should work.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:06:14 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:40 pm »

I haven't spent any time lately trying to fix things with LegendsViewer. I've been thinking about rewriting a lot of it and part of that would involve utilizing DFHack to get more information out of the game that isn't included in the XML export currently, like the untranslated names. So I've been spending some time investigating what I can all do with DFHack and have figured out some cool things. DFHack has the capability to export data with Google's Protocol Buffers, which allows for a way to export data and then generate the code needed to load that data. It does it in a way that would hopefully be much easier, faster, and take up less space than the current XML. Once completed it would allow LegendsViewer to access a lot more data from DF as well as make it really easy for anyone else who want to make applications to read legends data. So that has been taking up most of my free time.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »

I haven't spent any time lately trying to fix things with LegendsViewer. I've been thinking about rewriting a lot of it and part of that would involve utilizing DFHack to get more information out of the game that isn't included in the XML export currently, like the untranslated names. So I've been spending some time investigating what I can all do with DFHack and have figured out some cool things. DFHack has the capability to export data with Google's Protocol Buffers, which allows for a way to export data and then generate the code needed to load that data. It does it in a way that would hopefully be much easier, faster, and take up less space than the current XML. Once completed it would allow LegendsViewer to access a lot more data from DF as well as make it really easy for anyone else who want to make applications to read legends data. So that has been taking up most of my free time.

Sounds excellent. But does that mean future versions won't work at all on games that aren't using DFHack? Or will Legends Viewer still be a stand-alone utility?

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 25, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »

Right, it would now require DFHack to export the data. I'm still planning to export the data to files so that DF doesn't have to be running concurrently to view that data though.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:41 am »

Amazing idea! I'd been wondering if LV would be getting an upgrade anytime soon.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:53 pm »

No matter what I do, LV doesn't seem to want to load civilizations.  I can look at individuals, and the main 'summary' page loads, but any attempt to view a civilization overview or a zoomed map will bring back an empty page, and a crash when I press back.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've tried updating my files to 40.24, tried using my old 40.19, and even re-extracted older 40.xx versions and older legends viewer files.  I kinda assume its some kind of other software error, but I am at a loss. :-\
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2015, 10:23:40 pm »

Right, it would now require DFHack to export the data. I'm still planning to export the data to files so that DF doesn't have to be running concurrently to view that data though.

Mason11987 - the World Viewer dev - has been working on something similar, and I've got it into the DFHack scripts library for the next release as part of exportlegends.lua.

Basically it exports a "regionX-YYYYY-MM-DD-legends_plus.xml", which includes most of the information not in the default xml.  It would be great if using this file could become the standard for extra legends exports, to keep things as compatible as possible - and it would save you a fair bit of time, I hope  ;)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 15, 2015, 09:16:49 am »

I'm aware of the script and even put together the code needed to parse the XML it generates. When I started thinking about what I all want to fix by rewriting LegendsViewer the exported files were the first thing I wanted to tackle. The XML files are incredibly bulky and pulling data from two XML files and the history/sites text files then weaving all the data together makes things more confusing than they need to be. I tried getting around some of the bulkiness issues by compressing the exports which makes the size reasonable, but increases processing time and adds another step to that has to be considered when weaving everything together. I can fix all that by using DFHack and Protocol Buffers to create an export that is smaller, unified, faster to read/write, and doesn't require me to write code to parse it.

Once that is done I'm really wanting to see if I can make LegendsViewer cross-platform which I know a lot of people have wanted for a long time. I think doing that is going to involve moving away from C# and its niceties to C++.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 15, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »

No need to drop C#, if you keep Mono's compatibility in mind. For folks on Linux or OSX, it's just a matter or doing "mono ./whatever.exe" and Bob's your Uncle. Same binary, and it works well provided you don't use any of those libraries Mono doesn't have implemented properly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:29:06 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:20 pm »

I've done a little research and it sounds like WinForms for Mono still has minor bugs here and there, which I don't really want to risk running into and having to work around. Other GUI frameworks for Mono don't sound very promising either. Qt on the other hand is much better supported. I've never touched Qt so development will be slow, but in the long run I think it will produce a better program.

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:05 pm »

Wow,this is awesome...you just made my day.

LastGreen

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES] [SPHERE:STORMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2015, 04:26:53 am »

Edit: nvm figured it out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:02:14 am by LastGreen »

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2015, 11:20:17 am »

I don't know if this request is made already

My request is that that the Legends Viewer be able to show, in addition to notable kills, but also show other kills as well. And allow a filter based on the number of other kills.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:28 am »

edit: forget whatever was in this post.

Looked at the history more carefully and he was a vampire after he profaned a deity.
However, legends didn't list him as cursed.

There might be a bug concerning filters since checking the 'vampire' box seems to come up with nobody.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:37:42 am by athenalras »

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »

I get this error when loading the files:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length
   at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at LegendsViewer.Legends.SitesAndPopulationsParser.ReadSite()
   at LegendsViewer.Legends.SitesAndPopulationsParser.Parse()
   at LegendsViewer.Legends.World..ctor(String xmlFile, String historyFile, String sitesAndPopulationsFile, String mapFile)
   at LegendsViewer.FileLoader.load_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/blqtoggsz14acdp/legends%20viewer%20error.7z?dl=0

Doesn't matter how many world I create or how many times I try to export the files, the error always pops up.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44