Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats Your Ideal Embark Point?  (Read 2328 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Whats Your Ideal Embark Point?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 01:49:46 pm »

As of right now, I'm seeking at least a cliffside (an actual cliffside; you know, hig land mass, and a sheer non-ram cutoff for a grand portion of the other side), preferably crescent-shaped. Plenty of already exposed materials, decent Z-level difference. Manufacturing such a site is acceptable, provided minimal effort required for desired shape. Woodlands (especially dense) is preferred.

My intention for such a site is to construct a suspended city over the cliffside. I already made blueprints ages ago, but have yet to actually work on it. Would help to actually have real cliffs NOT separated by a river though. Just a significant Z-drop level (min. 10Z).

Spoiler: Blueprints/Plans (click to show/hide)

I already found a similar site, split by a river with a waterfall, I just need to remove the neighboring mountainside that is mostly cutoff from the mainland, but still requires a bridge to cross to reach it. Unfortunately, it looks like a bit of effort is required to shave it all down. Hopefully, I can find a workaround, or at least get some miner immigrants. to help whittle things down. I gotta get rid of the foliage as well to maximize the potential of the site. Not much a fan of the exposed minerals however as an end result. I was looking more forward to having grasslands dominate the floors like shown in the plans.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

Volcano inside mountains, with river and small serene forest = no elves(mountains block them), easy ‼science‼ testing zone :D

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 08:49:57 pm »

I always try to build around interesting bits of landscape.  If the landscape I pick doesn't appeal to me, I'll choose a different site.  I've even gone so far as to go prospecting with an adventurer before embarking.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 11:51:25 pm »

Relatively flat surface, a slade fortress, at least one adamantine tube, a section of cave with limitless water with a river or fresh water lake above ground, a flux layer, and a magma pipe that goes from the magma sea to the third or second cave level.

Sand is easy enough to force on every site by deleting entries other then white and black sand, and then deleting the aquifer tag from one of the two.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 12:26:21 am »

Flat space, backed into as sheer a cliff wall as possible, leading to a tall mountain. Hopefully it's in a deep forest with a flowing stream adjacent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:32:16 am »

I like lakes. And forests. Often both =D
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:25:14 am »

I create medium-sized world. Then search for metamorphic layer. Then around it search for sedimentary layer. I choose my embark location to have both sedimentary and metamorphic and don't care for difficulties like extreme climate, savagery, horryfying surroundings, aquifers or salt water. Actually i love these challenges.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

I try to get a semi-flat river with Flux and iron.

Yeah, I'm boring.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 11:18:26 am »

Two or more rivers joining (and lots of cliffs/watefalls that come along with this).
Flux/Sedimentary layer.

I would love rivers forming "trident" where i can have fort split by two by "central" river.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 05:37:17 pm »

Desert with a stream.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 01:08:56 am »

I'd like a flat river that merges with another body of water. I don't want there to be an aquifer, nor do I want the underground caves (but I leave them on so the Dwarves aren't nerfed too badly). I'd prefer marble, since it's pretty, and the magma sea is welcomed too. Interesting biomes are cool, but grass/trees are a must -- I want it green. Freezing depends on the body of water -- freezing lakes are nice, freezing rivers less so since they're more easily dammed than lakes.

I pretty much build above ground forts exclusively, so I'll just dig out the marble and set a half dozen mason workshops to repeat blocks and go from there.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 [2]