Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 50187 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 3
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:33 am »

Trailer was released. Trailer set in London (?). Trailer is rather cool. Trailer shows possible return of the thermal clips (:()

Trailer Link

Also, I decided to reinstall ME2 and play through it again without getting anyone murdered at the end.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »

After the annoyance that was ME1 (50% inventory management, 40% running around doing pointless quests, 10% fun and interesting plot-related stuff), I haven't considered ME2 worth getting. Without having played ME2, there's no point getting ME3, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:03:19 pm »

Oh hell yeah.

thermal clips

Aw fuck no.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »

Yeah, thermal clips are annoying.

Although the trailer was damned cool. And yes, that was in London. That was the point of showing big ben.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »

OH HEY WE NEED ORIGINAL SOMETHING! I KNOW! WHY DONT WE PUT REAPERS ON LEGS MAKE THEM INTO TRIPODS AND RIP FROM WORLD OF WARS????? DURRRRRRRR!?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »

Only problem with the thermal clips was that they made fuck all sense fluffwise. Just like removing them again would. "Oh hey every gun ever was "upgraded" to this new "no longer infinite" ammo system because... um... downgrade! Oh wait never mind they were all changed back after a trial run of less than a year!" ::)

Speaking of things that made fuck all sense from any perspective: Quarians! "We have no immune systems because spaceships! Oh wait just kidding we have such hyperactive immune systems we're allergic to each other, and air! Because spaceships!" >:(

Speaking of Quarians, anyone else get reminded of anteaters by their masks, especially the males'?

After the annoyance that was ME1 (50% inventory management, 40% running around doing pointless quests, 10% fun and interesting plot-related stuff), I haven't considered ME2 worth getting. Without having played ME2, there's no point getting ME3, of course.
Note that ME2 told the inventory management bullshit (with its retarded interface designed for lolconsoles) to fuck off, and eliminated 99% of the superfluous wandering around looking for where you're going, and is still just as long. Combat was also vastly improved from the "go biotic, kill everything with magic blackholes!" theme of the first (although, admittedly, the endgame, even on insanity, was essentially like that no matter what you played, although engineer required a little more thought than just random biotic spam...).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »

Note that ME2 told the inventory management bullshit (with its retarded interface designed for lolconsoles) to fuck off, and eliminated 99% of the superfluous wandering around looking for where you're going, and is still just as long. Combat was also vastly improved from the "go biotic, kill everything with magic blackholes!" theme of the first (although, admittedly, the endgame, even on insanity, was essentially like that no matter what you played, although engineer required a little more thought than just random biotic spam...).

If you decide not to play ME2 anyway, you're arguably not missing anything in terms of plot, unless the writers decide to throw the significance of the first game out entirely. Nearly all of ME2 ended up feeling like a massive plot stopgap/filler.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

Okay, some things didn't make sense, and ME2 might have been fillerish, but I have full confidence in Bioware to handle this with skill. I probably enjoyed ME1 and ME2 more than any other game I have played, and I'm sure they'll blow us away with the third, and tie this whole thing up. Incredibly cinematic, dramatic and all the rest of it.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »

ME2 was a good game, and y'know that Bioware didn't do it purely for the console ports but because a lot of people had a huge issue with the first games inventory system. So, they listened to the extreme and removed it complety :P

Anyway, the second Mass effect is well worth buying, good characters good story and its fun playing Shepard again.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:30 am »

I would just like to point out that in ME1, sniper rifles seemed to have a thermal clip ejected after firing. At the time I just assumed that they went for the cool style points of having a bolt-action railgun.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

I just completed the Liara quest in ME2.  It was pretty sweet.

I'm anticipating ME3.  Tali may or may not have anything to do with it.

I haven't watched anything for ME3, and have no idea what's coming.  I like it this way

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:19:13 am »

I loved both games, although I seem to be unique in not minding the inventory system of the first.  It was a bit annoying and time consuming to use, but those are typically UI problems.  The APC tank thing (forgot the name) grew on me after I ran a guy over and set his body flying across the map  :P.

I didn't have much of a problem with the thermal clips of the second, except for how they were kind of shoe-horned in there; however, mineral scanning got old fast.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:07:13 am »

I get the feeling I'll still be preparing the cleaner ME1 over the other two.

And I liked the inventory in the first... or rather, I didn't hate it like everyone else did.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 09:19:14 am »

I get the feeling I'll still be preparing the cleaner ME1 over the other two.

And I liked the inventory in the first... or rather, I didn't hate it like everyone else did.

Same. I thought it was nice to have all those options.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43:48 am »

Inventory was a bit crazy in ME1...  But I disliked how they removed it entirely in ME2.  Removed a good chunk of the RPG feel.  I kind of like finding some uber bit of armor or a fancy weapon somewhere, and then having to agonize over who gets to equip it.  ME2 just got ride of the inventory completely.  Weapons for everyone!  The armor customization was kind of fun...  But you could only do it for Shepard.

Hated thermal clips in ME2.  Just plain hated them.  Didn't make sense to me.  Why would you go from infinite ammo to a clip that limited your ability to fire your weapon?  Seems like you should have been able to re-use the thermal clips after they'd cooled down, instead of just chucking them and hoping you found more later.  Or maybe you should have been able to keep firing, but much slower, when you ran out of thermal clips.

I'm eager to see ME3.  Very curious to see how importing a save from ME1/ME2 affects the gameplay.  Really curious to see what happens with the Reapers after all this...  They've been built up into some kind of seriously unstoppable evil, I can't wait to see how they're defeated.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52