Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: World Viewer 2.0 - View World information with Map + Mod Support  (Read 70429 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer 2.0 - View World information with Map + Mod Support
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 01:56:29 pm »

Ran into a 'runtime error 76' path not found

World Parsed at 12/14/2010 1:44:12 PM
HistEvent: 18748 has duplicate group_2_hfids
HistEvent: 18751 has duplicate group_2_hfids
HistEvent: 59576 has duplicate group_2_hfids
Too many events to list them
Finished at 12/14/2010 1:52:37 PM

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:10 pm »

Ran into a 'runtime error 76' path not found

World Parsed at 12/14/2010 1:44:12 PM
HistEvent: 18748 has duplicate group_2_hfids
HistEvent: 18751 has duplicate group_2_hfids
HistEvent: 59576 has duplicate group_2_hfids
Too many events to list them
Finished at 12/14/2010 1:52:37 PM

That's after the world has actually been generated, and it's copying the file to World logs folder.

Strange it would fail.

Just check this for me:

You have a World Viewer folder, which has a "World Logs" folder within it, correct?

Edit -

I just downloaded it on a computer which has never seen any world viewer file, extracted, and then tested it out and it worked fine.

Is it possible that you are just opening the archive and running it without actually extracting the files from the .zip?

Edit -

I went ahead and ran it directly from the archive, and that recreated the same error you had, but the fact that you got the logs means it wasn't exactly that.  Perhaps you just extracted ONLY the .exe?  That would create the log file directly.

Either way I'll make this not be a crash.

Edit (lol) -

New version creates the folder if it's needed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:23:28 pm by Mason11987 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »

I just extracted the exe and the .ocx into its own folder.

Fixed with version 2.0.6! thanks!

Due to my laptop screen being broken I am using a 1024 x 768 monitor. Some stuff is being cut off to right. Most noticeable is the war tab. I can see the attackers in a war but the defender column is cut off (I only know its the defender column because I can see the "d" in the word defender....everything to the right is cut off).

Perhaps you could add a scroll bar like there is on the map tab for other tabs? Also applies to things like the civ list on the legends tab of the map tab and pretty much any list that is long.

Another nice thing would be some method of navigating the map itself. Perhaps a zoom function or maybe the ability to scroll the map by right clicking and dragging (or left clicking or whatever).

Also...Aside from all my bitching I really like what you have done with this! Its great to be able to see all the little stats and things. The help button at the top is nice (for people who are unfamiliar with it)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:25:12 pm by dennislp3 »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

Getting a crash dialog "Run-time error '13': Type Mismatch" when it's 1.31% through parsing XML. I unchecked 'Log only Errors' and what I get in the log is below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

Getting a crash dialog "Run-time error '13': Type Mismatch" when it's 1.31% through parsing XML. I unchecked 'Log only Errors' and what I get in the log is below.

The regions section having problems?  That's weird.

Could you send the files to me?

http://www.sendspace.com/

7zip makes the xml file pretty small if you do .7z format.

In case you don't have that: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »

I just extracted the exe and the .ocx into its own folder.

Fixed with version 2.0.6! thanks!

Glad it worked!

Due to my laptop screen being broken I am using a 1024 x 768 monitor. Some stuff is being cut off to right. Most noticeable is the war tab. I can see the attackers in a war but the defender column is cut off (I only know its the defender column because I can see the "d" in the word defender....everything to the right is cut off).

Perhaps you could add a scroll bar like there is on the map tab for other tabs? Also applies to things like the civ list on the legends tab of the map tab and pretty much any list that is long.

Having it work for resizing is definitely up there on the list of things I'm going to work on soon.  Thanks for the reminder.

Another nice thing would be some method of navigating the map itself. Perhaps a zoom function or maybe the ability to scroll the map by right clicking and dragging (or left clicking or whatever).

Good idea, the zoom might not happen easily, but the drag to move could be possible I bet.  It'll be fun to make.  Thanks!

Also...Aside from all my bitching I really like what you have done with this! Its great to be able to see all the little stats and things. The help button at the top is nice (for people who are unfamiliar with it)

Not bitching, suggesting.  Please continue :).  I appreciate the compliments!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 06:19:06 pm »

I'll do that. In the meantime I noticed it was puking at the exact same spot, 8257 bytes into the file.

That corresponds to the white space just after the second <site> tag in this snippet:

Code: [Select]
<site>
  <id>41</id>
  <type>shrine</type>
  <name>drinksnarl the untamed birds</name>
  <coords>2,10</coords>
</site>
<site>
  <id>42</id>
  <type>lair</type>
  <name>droolcalls</name>
  <coords>10,3</coords>
</site>

edit: Here's the zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dtub8r
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:53:12 pm by Scarpa »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »

I'll do that. In the meantime I noticed it was puking at the exact same spot, 8257 bytes into the file.

That corresponds to the white space just after the second <site> tag in this snippet:

Code: [Select]
<site>
  <id>41</id>
  <type>shrine</type>
  <name>drinksnarl the untamed birds</name>
  <coords>2,10</coords>
</site>
<site>
  <id>42</id>
  <type>lair</type>
  <name>droolcalls</name>
  <coords>10,3</coords>
</site>

edit: Here's the zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dtub8r

Fixed! I've tested exceedingly large world, but not extremely small.  How bout that huh?

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »

Fixed! I've tested exceedingly large world, but not extremely small.  How bout that huh?

Happy to be of service. :)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

Very glad to see this up and running! Right now, I understand it's still developing, but I'd like to make some suggestions towards where I think the program should head.  Basically, the whole point of the World Viewer should be to make it easier to find the STORY of the world, not just the facts. And stories come from two things-- following a history chronologically, and picking out the IMPORTANT details within that timeline. You need to be able to filter out unimportant stuff, and correlate different histories together, especially where they interact (such as with war, and later on with trade and other diplomacy).

But first of all, a simple usability request.  This is a little much, don't you think?

The lines should be a toggle, and there should be a different way of visually distinguishing the civilizations. Perhaps the insides of the circles could be tinted the civilization color (also as a toggle)? In fact, I don't know if there might be a way to load the data for civilization claimed territory? Then that could be overlaid as a tint over the whole map, dithering where multiple civs claim the same land.

Moving on to actual features, I think the map is one of this program's greatest features, and it would be fantastic if there was at least a small window for the map on each screen, so that as you click on events, it can show where those events are located. Clicking on a war, for instance, should bring up each battle location, colored for casualties on each side, and perhaps numbered or dated so you can see the order of events.

Next, there needs to be some sorting options for some of the lists. Key sorting options for civilizations, for instance, would be population size, species, founding year, and age (not necessarily the same thing as founding year, as civilizations CAN die out).  For wars, you could sort by number of battles, starting date, ending date, total casualties, greatest impact (that is, casualties as a percentage of its total civ population at the time, bringing genocidal wars to the top), and that sort of thing.

In order to quickly spot interesting things, graphs might even be a good idea. Population graphs if nothing else, but you could also have a timeline graph showing casualties per year, coloring them either by civ, entity, or war.  In fact, layering a point graph of casualties next to a population graph could be VERY interesting.

And speaking of coloration, it might be helpful to be able to sort the colors themselves. What I mean is that in the map I'm looking at, I can distinguish 8 color groups, for instance-- reds, yellows, greens, cyans, blues, purples, pinks, and reds. These groups have at least four shades within themselves and those shades can be distinguished, and yet they are also clearly grouped and similar.  By taking advantage of these groups, we could set it so that all human civilizations are shades of blue, all dwarves shades of red, goblins shades of green, kobolds shades of purple, and so forth. One day, when better diplomacy goes in, it might be useful to group the colors by nation alliances-- so it'd be nice if the code was set up with color groups in mind to make that possible down the line.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

Very glad to see this up and running! Right now, I understand it's still developing, but I'd like to make some suggestions towards where I think the program should head.  Basically, the whole point of the World Viewer should be to make it easier to find the STORY of the world, not just the facts. And stories come from two things-- following a history chronologically, and picking out the IMPORTANT details within that timeline. You need to be able to filter out unimportant stuff, and correlate different histories together, especially where they interact (such as with war, and later on with trade and other diplomacy).

I definitely agree, but finding what is important is kind of difficult because people have different ideas on that.  But of course, I'm willing to hear suggestions like the ones you have here.  Filtering out things is on it's way.  But first I'm planning to get to a point where everything is there, then work on how to hide some of the things.

But first of all, a simple usability request.  This is a little much, don't you think?

The lines should be a toggle, and there should be a different way of visually distinguishing the civilizations. Perhaps the insides of the circles could be tinted the civilization color (also as a toggle)? In fact, I don't know if there might be a way to load the data for civilization claimed territory? Then that could be overlaid as a tint over the whole map, dithering where multiple civs claim the same land.

Only a couple times have I gotten things like that, you have quite the complicated world there.  Of course, your point stands and not drawing the lines was supposed to be an option, but was overlooked.  Thanks for reminding me and getting it back on the list, that will be in the next update since it's simple to do.  Edit - Added in 2.0.8

Claimed territory doesn't appear to be in the xml/history/site files.  If you could think of a way to show civs on the map, with only knowing the location of their sites, then I'd love to hear it, the lines were the best way I could imagine displaying that information, but in some cases it looks terrible.

Moving on to actual features, I think the map is one of this program's greatest features, and it would be fantastic if there was at least a small window for the map on each screen, so that as you click on events, it can show where those events are located. Clicking on a war, for instance, should bring up each battle location, colored for casualties on each side, and perhaps numbered or dated so you can see the order of events.

In the "linking items" feature, listed to come soon in the OP, I'm planning to have an option to click on coordinates as they appear in various tabs, and have the map centered on that location.  Is that what you were thinking?

The minimap idea is interesting, and definitely within the realm of possibility

Next, there needs to be some sorting options for some of the lists. Key sorting options for civilizations, for instance, would be population size, species, founding year, and age (not necessarily the same thing as founding year, as civilizations CAN die out).  For wars, you could sort by number of battles, starting date, ending date, total casualties, greatest impact (that is, casualties as a percentage of its total civ population at the time, bringing genocidal wars to the top), and that sort of thing.

Sorting was in my previous version and it's definitely planned here.  Again, looking to list everything before I mess with it.

In terms of your specific sorting instructions, all are doable except for the greatest impact.  I don't see any feasible way of telling the civ population at the time.  At best I MAY be able to say how many Hist figs were alive at that time in the civ, but even that is fairly unlikely because hist figs aren't listed by civ in the xml, I'd have to tie them in by an event.  But of course that's just one sorting option, the rest would be great and I'd love to hear more.

In order to quickly spot interesting things, graphs might even be a good idea. Population graphs if nothing else, but you could also have a timeline graph showing casualties per year, coloring them either by civ, entity, or war.  In fact, layering a point graph of casualties next to a population graph could be VERY interesting.

This is a fantastic idea.  I LOVE graphs.

And speaking of coloration, it might be helpful to be able to sort the colors themselves. What I mean is that in the map I'm looking at, I can distinguish 8 color groups, for instance-- reds, yellows, greens, cyans, blues, purples, pinks, and reds. These groups have at least four shades within themselves and those shades can be distinguished, and yet they are also clearly grouped and similar.  By taking advantage of these groups, we could set it so that all human civilizations are shades of blue, all dwarves shades of red, goblins shades of green, kobolds shades of purple, and so forth. One day, when better diplomacy goes in, it might be useful to group the colors by nation alliances-- so it'd be nice if the code was set up with color groups in mind to make that possible down the line.

This is a great idea.  I had a big problem trying to figure out how to draw up to 300 civs on a map (but normally like 40) and have them be reasonably distinguishable, and it turns out there aren't that many colors.  I decided to make 8 colors, with a variable amount of shades, using HSL coloring.  But the groups are just by number, grouping by race is a great solution.  Providing options on how to color them will be going in as well.

Thanks for the useful advice and suggestions.  I appreciate it!

Edit - Uploaded 2.0.8
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:02:49 pm by Mason11987 »

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

I keep getting 'runtime error 9' with all of my worlds large or small.  On the small one, I checked the log and it said,"No Artifacts in this world, skipping section". Dunno if that means anything to you.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:48 am »

I keep getting 'runtime error 9' with all of my worlds large or small.  On the small one, I checked the log and it said,"No Artifacts in this world, skipping section". Dunno if that means anything to you.

I've had 1.6GB xml files work, and 1KB ones work, so it must be something not related to size.  Could you send the smallest set (xml,hist,sites, and map) that fails to me (smaller is faster to check, and the failures are probably related).  Is it vanilla or modded?

Edit - This is probably fixed in 2.0.9
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:03:29 am by Mason11987 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:02 am »

Uploaded 2.0.9

minimap for zoomed out view, and drag drop now implemented

Civs are now colored on the map by race :)

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:52:16 am »

Just uploaded a run-time error '9' fileset...  I tried generating smaller worlds, but they worked.

Roth Sumun
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8