Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WOW! Ghosts!!!  (Read 1444 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
WOW! Ghosts!!!
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

So, what happened is, I started on a "cold" map with an aquifer nearby and a river.  Turns out my banking on the brook melting in the summer was not wise.  It stayed solid.  So, I built a farm near the aquifer.  Then I figured I would get a windmill to power the pump to pump water into the farm from said aquifer. 

I suppose in hindsight, it would have been wiser to just dig to the same zlevel as the aquifer, head for it, then put up  floodgate right before I get to the wet stone, link the gate to a lever, then flood my farm, close the gate, wait for it to dry, and farm.

But...

I wanted a windmill.  Well, its now the middle of the second winter and 2 waves of immigrants have mostly died. 

I look up and wow -- ghosts!  two of them.  Hanging out in the main meeting area!  I have never had ghosts before.  But then, by this point someone goes nuts and kills everyone.  So far the crazies have only killed 80% of teh dwarves. 

Niiiice.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: WOW! Ghosts!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:53:19 pm »

I reckon' if the other 20% survive you'll need to call Ghostbusters soon.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:13 pm »

Umm, for the first case, I've sometimes just used a pump operator dwarf when I only need to muddy a place, there's no reason beyond dwarfiness to build a permanent power supply(although that is perhaps reason enough).

Also, I hope you survive to see more ghosts!

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »

Yea, I really should have just used a pump operator.  Not sure where things got out of hand... Dwarves aren't the best managers.  I mean, even with Ritalin there isn't much hope for these guys.