Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions on elf conflict  (Read 943 times)

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions on elf conflict
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:26:08 am »

How many trees do I really need to chop to irritate these guys? I only have one legendary woodcutter, but he's really been going to town on those trees... I've been clear cutting huge swaths of forest, almost killed all of the first generation of trees on my embark. I'm not precisely -trying- to start a war with the elves at this juncture, since my smithing industry isn't really up to snuff yet, (man it takes an enormous amount of metal to outfit an army!) but I'm definitely planning on it for the future. Do I actually have to start trying to trade them 'forbidden' goods, or attack the caravan?
Also, what should I be looking at in terms of a good military for elf slaughtering? I usually insist on outfitting all of my dwarves with steel armor/weaponry, so I imagine that will suffice, but what about general skill levels? Will I need to install a danger room in order to insure that my dwarves are up to snuff?

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on elf conflict
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:22:36 am »

Well as I learnt the other day, the Elves no longer send diplomats, it was taken out a few versions ago but I think you can edit the raws only a little bit to get them to come back.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:32:46 am »

Wrong.

They will send someone to you if they are annoyed by stuff that you do still in the current version to talk about their 'trees'.

Almost remember there reaction to what you do may also depend on what the currently feel about you, and how far away they are from you location.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:01:57 am »

Oh. Well that sucks. I knew they would attack you if they took their goods or killed them enough times but I was told they didn't react to chopping down trees.

Right. Well my clear cutting is now over.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:11:08 am »

The problem is that in the current version there is no Diplomat defined in the entity raw file for elves.  Without a Diplomat, they can't send anyone to ask you to agree to stop cutting down trees.  In the previous versions the game would create a diplomat anyway, but the latest release requires the Diplomat position to be defined specifically in the entity raw, which it isn't.  It is fairly easy to add the Diplomat back to the elf raws, at which point they will start sending a diplomat to you to make tree-cutting agreements again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:16 am »

The problem is that in the current version there is no Diplomat defined in the entity raw file for elves.  Without a Diplomat, they can't send anyone to ask you to agree to stop cutting down trees.  In the previous versions the game would create a diplomat anyway, but the latest release requires the Diplomat position to be defined specifically in the entity raw, which it isn't.  It is fairly easy to add the Diplomat back to the elf raws, at which point they will start sending a diplomat to you to make tree-cutting agreements again.

And that is what happens when you begin a reply with the word "Wrong"

You get proven wrong. =D

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*