Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you deal with the gems?

Leave them where they are. They're not worth the trouble.
- 52 (43.7%)
Mine them out, who cares if the shape is shifted.
- 15 (12.6%)
Mine them out and then mine out a similar structure on the other side to achieve symmetry.
- 7 (5.9%)
Mine them out and build walls so the smoothed walls are symmetrical again.. ignore the hole on the other side.
- 45 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Symmetry-breaking Jewelry in the walls [POLL]  (Read 3678 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Symmetry-breaking Jewelry in the walls [POLL]
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 04:44:12 pm »

Unless it's a high-value gem. Meh.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »

Smooth and engrave for super high value rooms! Just because it's in the wall doesn't mean you can't utilise it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:31 pm »

If I come across any gems or metal while I'm mining, it bothers me to just leave them there. I'll mine them out now and put up some walls or something later.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:00 pm »

Either smooth, so my engraver can become legendary and make some cool stuff on the walls, or, if I'm in a fell mood, I will gid out the jem cluster and build around it, to match the labrith or random hall and turns that is the rest of the fortress.

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 12:24:27 am »

Seeing as I haven't yet had the urge to construct symmetrical fortresses yet, I just mine out the clusters, smooth and engrave the floors, and occasionally turn them into impromptu statue gardens.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 12:55:39 am »

I mine them out if they're not in a bedroom.
Any way, I sometimes like the way the uneven rooms turn out, they look more "natural underground".

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:35 am »

I leave them be, even if they are in the middle of the room! Then I engrave them (once engravers are trained legends). Talk about a conversation piece. Who needs a fountain when you have masterfully engraved gem pillars in your dining room?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:40:28 am »

Cool. I didn't actually expect there to be so many others who just wall it up and pretend like nothing happened :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 02:02:13 am »

I just leave them. With the amount of rock I dig out, I end up finding more gems than I could possibly need.
くコ:彡

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 04:46:55 am »

As others have said, if it is faint yellow diamond or something like that, I'll mine it out, but if not I'll leave it be.  I never start up a gem industry in my forts, mostly because it takes way too much micromanagement for too little benefit (I usually end up with so many random artifacts that trying to add value by putting gems on random items would be like pouring a bottle of water out into the ocean).  Once the economy comes back I might give it a try, but for now my forts pretty much forgo encrusting things with gems. 

If I do mine it out, how I deal with it depends on the room it was in.  If it was the dining room, I'll usually expand the room to keep it symmetrical, as I always engrave every tile of dining rooms.  I don't ever adjust bedroom designs, so that's a moot point (not even for faint yellow diamonds or cotton candy, though I rarely build bedrooms that deep).  If it is my workshops or a hallway, I don't really care since I never smooth those areas out anyway.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:36 am »

I've gone as far as using reveal when planning out the design, and altering it or moving it if it happens to intersect with some valuable gems or platinum.  I find it very hard not to mine them out and replace it with a wall, which makes a mess, which makes me dislike playing that fort.  In addition, an engraved gem or precious metal floor is almost as good as a wall in terms of room value, and you get the gem or metal bar as well.

I think I'll actually prefer it when the stone and ore frequencies are bumped back down to 40d levels, then it was only a problem if you happened to clip the corner of that one microcline cluster, rather than every room being a blasted rainbow of different stones.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 06:03:41 am »

heh, mine and wall it up.

I harvest everything, all gems and ores get cut unless really in a vital wall.  I dont usually muck about with my dining room, and ores in bedroom walls are ignored unless plat/alu.  All gems get mined out though and sent to my gemworkers.

Unlike the guy above me I do a lot of encrusting.  In particular on maps with sand since you can train a legendary gem setter just sticking green glass on everything before you even begin cutting the crappier gems.  Combined with a legendary mason/blacksmith it becomes a lot of fun and room value for your dwarves, though the micromanagement aspect does involve sticking the gem workshops miles away from any furniture/finished good stockpiles on any level (so as to control what they encrust).
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 [2]