Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning Labels  (Read 1515 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Warning Labels
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:58:53 am »

So, I have lined the entrance of my fortress with statues of goblins being killed by traps.  I'm sure you can guess what's at the entrance of my fortress.

Does anyone else put 'warning labels' or similar 'hints' for their traps?  Also, do you create a backdoor so an invader (or adventurer) could 'figure it out' and make it through intact without relying on supernaturally high dodge and adamantine?

I usually put a series of levers that opens the 'maintainance bridge' on both sides.  If the invaders take the roundabout path down there and pull a BJ Blazkowich dungeoncrawl to get to my next stage, I figure they deserve it.  And, it comes in handy to rescue stranded dwarves sometimes.

Of course, using the backdoor isn't entirely trap free, just enough to only injure and not kill-  in case a dwarf falls on it.  It'll slow the enemy down but a dwarf isn't likely to stun-blend to slurry.

And then if you get through all that you still have my 'theft deterrent system' consisting of a lion, elephant, warthog, black bear, and two war dogs.

And if you get through THAT, you have to walk across the Ghastly Gauntlet, a 1-tile wide corridor 2 Z-levels up and lined with weak traps.  Dodge wrong and you fall onto spikes and start all over.  Do this ten times.
Did I mention my crossbow dwarves will be shooting at you during this from the ramparts?

And if you complete that Prince of Persia-esque fuckfest, you get a nice faceful of little bearded men wrapped in leather.  Two squads of mixed leather/bone/metal armor hodgepodges.

Finish that, and my fort is yours.  For truly you deserve it.
[GOD I wish we could assault our own forts in adventure mode.]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:06:12 am by janglur »

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warning Labels
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:19:37 am »

not exactly a warning label, but I had 2 statues by my front porch. One was a god of war, and the other was a forgotten beast. I like to think that they were in an epic fight scene.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Warning Labels
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:00:16 am »

I stockpile megabeast/titan/forgotten beast/HFS corpses in my entryway.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!