Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Helped (!?) Me on Exams...  (Read 22234 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Helped (!?) Me on Exams...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

New sig.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:03 am »

aw, damn, got beat to it. oh well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:47:51 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 03:04:53 am »

If you hang around long enough, I might come out with a equaly good one liner...

Might take a while though.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 09:43:09 am »

Naturally uni level geology is quite dwarfy, dwarfy subjects be covered in Dwarf Fortress

Naturally elfy subjects like basket weaving would not be taught in dwarf fortress

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »

It helped me a bit later in a Greek History exam when I knew that bronze was an alloy of tin and copper, or with bismuth.

I really should have known that anyways, though.

I learned that when playing RuneScape :/

...I'm ashamed to say that as well. Although I thought coal was some magic metal that made loads of different stuff when it was paired with a different metal. I'm not proud of that either.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »

I have arranged corpses to form calculus homework answers.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »

Oh shoot, those ogres should've been capitalised.

Beautiful.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 04:46:46 pm »

Yay! aid for my new school!

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »

I know exactly what you mean. Thanks to Dwarf Fortress, I was able to tutor my mother to help her get an advanced geology certification. XD

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »

Thanks to dwarf fortress, I lost 400 pounds in just 3 hours, became the strongest man in Belgium, grew a 74 inch pygmy chicken and made love to 157 beautiful women!

Thanks Dwarf Fortress!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »

Thanks to dwarf fortress, I'm no longer a loser! I used to cry myself to sleep, eat greesy fast food, and was physically repulsive to women, that is to say the laws of feild theory explained why women were flung from there feet in the opposit direction when I walked past. Now I'm a kick ass awesome guy with a mustash. Thank you dwarf fortress.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 05:15:43 pm »

Thanks to dwarf fortress, I'm no longer a loser! I used to cry myself to sleep, eat greesy fast food, and was physically repulsive to women, that is to say the laws of feild theory explained why women were flung from there feet in the opposit direction when I walked past. Now I'm a kick ass awesome guy with a mustash. Thank you dwarf fortress.

Awww. Even after all of the things that I got from playing DF, I'm still experiencing all that stuff.

I'm gonna go and hang myself. Thanks Dwarf Fortress...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

I have arranged corpses to form calculus homework answers.

Willow from scepter ratman to ratman of weapon rack of ratman shell scepter saltpeter shell, dog saltpeter, stockpile cabinet ratman shell axe magma just deep enough to not evaporate?

Edit: This has been bothering me, so I must come back:

You should really grow a full beard.  In my mind, dwarves have full beards, humans have mutton chops, and elves have greasy little goatees.  Goblins just can't grow any facial hair other than maybe a couple of hairy moles.  (This is the real reason dwarf-goblin tensions run high.)  Mustaches are for, I dunno, lion men and 1970s cops?  Just sayin'...

On topic: I no longer have exams, but DF has been a mixed blessing in competitive word games.  "Chert?  I challenge that!"  <flip flip>  "Noooo!  Damn you, crappy dictionary!"  At least I know I was right, even if my family does not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:43:34 pm by Trouserman »

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 04:30:42 am »

I work in a small, local, TV station.
Today I was faced with a newfangled comm matrix with tons of buttons and endless configuration properties for both audio and video. Sadly it's the kind without any LCD display whatsoever and no computer interface.
It's the kind that "speaks" to you with blinking buttons in various states.

The guy who set it up no longer works here, we had no manual and weren't able to find one on the internets.
So the whole tech department is staring at an impossible piece of alien equipment that needs reconfiguration.

And I start pushing buttons, mumbling "talk to me baby, talk to me". And I push buttons faster and faster as I somehow manage to understand that its basic working principles are similar to.... Dwarf fortress Lever setup, linkage and triggering...

Everyone was looking at me all puzzled. I reconfigged that bastard, and now they all think I'm some kind of crazy autistic Technopath.

Thank you Dwarf Fortress! ;D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 04:48:26 am »

You should really grow a full beard.

Sorry to say, but I can't. It's shameful! My beard growing capacity hasn't grown since I was 15, so its goatee or nothing.

I chose nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3