Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Helped (!?) Me on Exams...  (Read 22247 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Helped (!?) Me on Exams...
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »

I have yet to take a class about the different ways to kill elves. I've counted at least 6.
If only Toady made a game that would let me learn physics and trig...
Get on it!! :P

Because after 6, you're laughing too hard to continue counting.

I work in a small, local, TV station.
Today I was faced with a newfangled comm matrix with tons of buttons and endless configuration properties for both audio and video. Sadly it's the kind without any LCD display whatsoever and no computer interface.
It's the kind that "speaks" to you with blinking buttons in various states.

The guy who set it up no longer works here, we had no manual and weren't able to find one on the internets.
So the whole tech department is staring at an impossible piece of alien equipment that needs reconfiguration.

And I start pushing buttons, mumbling "talk to me baby, talk to me". And I push buttons faster and faster as I somehow manage to understand that its basic working principles are similar to.... Dwarf fortress Lever setup, linkage and triggering...

Everyone was looking at me all puzzled. I reconfigged that bastard, and now they all think I'm some kind of crazy autistic Technopath.

Thank you Dwarf Fortress! ;D

Wait, really? You mean you just randomly fiddled with it?

Good thing you didn't flood the parking lot with magma.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

Thanks to dwarf fortress, I'm no longer a loser! I used to cry myself to sleep, eat greesy fast food, and was physically repulsive to women, that is to say the laws of feild theory explained why women were flung from there feet in the opposit direction when I walked past. Now I'm a kick ass awesome guy with a mustash. Thank you dwarf fortress.
You forgot your leopardskin patterned leotard.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 06:25:15 pm »

Oh well that one goes without saying. The girls just love a animal print item of clothing, especialy one that tight.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »

Thanks to Dwarf Fortress, i have a better understanding of which ores make what metals.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:57 am »

Goblins being a reliable sorce of iron!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 01:25:04 am »

Dwarf Fortress doesn't help too much with graduate-level accounting coursework, but it has taught me a thing or two about geology, biomes, and various animals.  Plus it's a good way to relax if I don't feel like doing anything much.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 01:28:11 am »

Today I was faced with a newfangled comm matrix with tons of buttons and endless configuration properties for both audio and video. Sadly it's the kind without any LCD display whatsoever and no computer interface.

The guy who set it up no longer works here, we had no manual and weren't able to find one on the internets.
So the whole tech department is staring at an impossible piece of alien equipment that needs reconfiguration.

And I start pushing buttons, mumbling "talk to me baby, talk to me". And I push buttons faster and faster as I somehow manage to understand that its basic working principles are similar to.... Dwarf fortress Lever setup, linkage and triggering...

Everyone was looking at me all puzzled. I reconfigged that bastard, and now they all think I'm some kind of crazy autistic Technopath.

You don't have to worry about flooding the parking lot with magma when NO SANE PERSON WOULD BUILD A SWITCH TO FLOOD THE PARKING LOT WITH MAGMA.

Although I suppose the device he described doesn't sound sane... so yeah, probably a good thing that didn't happen.

Zodel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 04:46:20 am »

"Snipped"

You don't have to worry about flooding the parking lot with magma when NO SANE PERSON WOULD BUILD A SWITCH TO FLOOD THE PARKING LOT WITH MAGMA.

Although I suppose the device he described doesn't sound sane... so yeah, probably a good thing that didn't happen.

So we should look around Bay12 forums for a Dwarf Fortress player who once made a device in a small tv station, figure out which series of switches / buttons / whatnot floods the carpark with magma, then tell the hippies there will be a protest against the deforestation of [insert location here] ?

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:02 am »

Hmmm...
Well, there's no volcano in this biome and digging to HFS looks like too much work.
It seems I embarked on top of a human town. However, if my memory serves me right, there was an aquifer in the first layer of caverns subway.
With a few pumps I may be able to flood the world!

Yay!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:23:46 am by Nospherat »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:51 am »

In Real Life its remarkably difficult to control lava in such a way that you could have a lever that would flood [insert location here] with magma.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:16 am »

In Real Life its remarkably difficult to control lava in such a way that you could have a lever that would flood [insert location here] with magma.
then we're just paying too much attention to physics.

WE'RE DWARVES GODDAMMIT!
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »

This is so much win.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 01:03:06 am »

Thats why you flood everything with lava and hide in a magma proof bunker.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 04:01:21 am »

Did you go on to explain the importance of flux stones?  :P
I realy like that Toady took the time to use real world geology. I'm sure once day, if he gets around to upping the world gen algorithems, then it will mimic the formation of mineral veins and batholiths and such.

I like that word. Batholith. It's so dwarfy.

I hear this and think of an adamantine spire with magma pumped near the top, and a pool at the very top for hot dwarven bathes.

....I need to build this now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 04:06:39 am »

Well it isn't exactly that, but close enough.
Pages: 1 2 [3]