Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrible?

Very!
- 145 (54.7%)
A bit.
- 57 (21.5%)
Mehish.
- 24 (9.1%)
Not really.
- 11 (4.2%)
Not at all!
- 28 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 263

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?  (Read 38627 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:12:49 pm »

Do you think the world of Dwarf Fortress in general is insanely horrifying and would probably be the worst place to live?

I think so!

Let me explain my views. This also includes spoilers, so yeah.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:08 pm »

One word:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »

Of course the world is horrible.  That's all part of the Fun.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

Dwarves getting stuffed into tiny dorm rooms with nothing but a bed and a box.  Dwarves getting drafted into the military based on what profession they picked for themselves in life.  :D

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:44 pm »

VERY! I completly agree with Urist Imiknorris. The stuff those guys get up to puts the entire HFS to shame.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »

No less horrifying than the grim, dark future of Warhammer 40k...  And a lot more amusing!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

Its more a kind of slapstick horrible, where you laugh as your passing aquaintance is beaten to death by a monster the size of a house using a sock as its weapon of choice...
This is a blank sig.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

Messed up is a better word.

Messed up but awsome.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 04:40:10 pm »

I'd say that on the setting alignment chart it's grimdark. The world is bad - hell but no heaven, boogiemen out at night, megabeasts that can tear through entire civilizations, horrors trapped underground. and demons leading armies on campaigns of pointless destruction.People are assholes - crazy nobles, apathetic peasants, and in general no altruism at all. The adventurers due tip it a bit away, as they so far are basically benevolent people with no ulterior motives, but that's really just because the game's not done yet. As more features are added, there will end up being plenty of things for people to do that are not altruistic. And of course, adventurers who actually attempt to make the world less dangerous tend to be killed gruesomely.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

I'd say that on the setting alignment chart it's grimdark. The world is bad - hell but no heaven, boogiemen out at night, megabeasts that can tear through entire civilizations, horrors trapped underground. and demons leading armies on campaigns of pointless destruction.People are assholes - crazy nobles, apathetic peasants, and in general no altruism at all. The adventurers due tip it a bit away, as they so far are basically benevolent people with no ulterior motives, but that's really just because the game's not done yet. As more features are added, there will end up being plenty of things for people to do that are not altruistic. And of course, adventurers who actually attempt to make the world less dangerous tend to be killed gruesomely.

Well, here are the pros.

You can actually rest as a peasant in adventure mode, knowing you tried making the world a better place. Amazing people can rise out of the insanity, who attempt to actually try and save their fortress. Sometimes, you come across a beautiful fortress, filled with happy citizens, who live never knowing the horrors of the depths.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 04:48:50 pm »

Well, here are the pros.

You can actually rest as a peasant in adventure mode, knowing you tried making the world a better place. Amazing people can rise out of the insanity, who attempt to actually try and save their fortress. Sometimes, you come across a beautiful fortress, filled with happy citizens, who live never knowing the horrors of the depths.
True, but that's a rare ideal - and it equates more to "everything is okay" than to "everything is great". It's better than some settings, perhaps, but it's still far from noblebright.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

Well, here are the pros.

True, but that's a rare ideal - and it equates more to "everything is okay" than to "everything is great". It's better than some settings, perhaps, but it's still far from noblebright.

Yeah, it's not noblebright, but what the hell can you do in a world where giant cave spiders exist?

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »

I'd say that it's pretty horrible, but if it wasn't so dysfunctional, it wouldn't be as interesting.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »

Yeah, it's not noblebright, but what the hell can you do in a world where giant cave spiders exist?

Stick a cute little pink ribbon on one of them! Then ride it! Over the rainbow! Harmony, harmony, oh love! Hold on, to the night, there will be, no sha-

Boogeyman punches Encased in the left leg from behind with its right hand, bruising the muscle, shattering the bone!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »

Stick a cute little pink ribbon on one of them! Then ride it! Over the rainbow! Harmony, harmony, oh love! Hold on, to the night, there will be, no sha-

Boogeyman punches Encased in the left leg from behind with its right hand, bruising the muscle, shattering the bone!

How to sum up the utter horror of dwarf fortress.

Maybe I should make a story about a dwarf about to commit suicide because of the state of the world, and his friend struggling to come up with a reason to live.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7