Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrible?

Very!
- 145 (54.7%)
A bit.
- 57 (21.5%)
Mehish.
- 24 (9.1%)
Not really.
- 11 (4.2%)
Not at all!
- 28 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 263

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?  (Read 38622 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:44 pm »

Best not question humans, there too freeking insane to make any sence. Orks are the most reasonable of all of them. They want to fight? They fight. They need a tank? They put one together. They need better weapons? They look in the pile.'

Logical and reasonable. Most likely why elder oftern work with Orks, rather then with humans.

Did you just mix up your terms? Orks are the exact opposite of sane and logical! Or reasonable! I mean, sure, humans are screwed up, but there is sane ones! I haven't heard of a sane Ork!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 06:24:34 pm »

Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:30 pm »

They have a practical means of getting what they want. They want to fight, so they run in with guns and axes, makes sence to me.

A human obays a bajillion year old guy in a big seat, on life support who never says anything.
An ork obays a bigger ork, because the bigger ork can beat him up.

They make perfect sence.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »

The emperor is so mindbogginly powerful that even chaos gods have some fear of him. His title as the god emperor of humanity is pretty fitting. The adeptus mechanicus is rumoured to worship the most powerful of the c'tan, the void dragon, which is kept on stasis in mars, the very first forgeworld and their base.

Anyway, back on topic, yea the world of DF is pretty grimdark. Almost Berserk tier grimdark, except with no rape and maybe a slight bit more violence.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:33 pm »

The emperor is so mindbogginly powerful that even chaos gods have some fear of him. His title as the god emperor of humanity is pretty fitting. The adeptus mechanicus is rumoured to worship the most powerful of the c'tan, the void dragon, which is kept on stasis in mars, the very first forgeworld and their base.

Sounds like somebody has a man crush.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:48 pm »

Almost Berserk tier grimdark, except with no rape

Isn't there a mod that adds lower body stabbing weapons?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

Atleast two that I recall, one also included the ever so popular succubus.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51:08 pm »

You know the difference is that in warhammer 40k we're always at the battlefield and we see horrors of war there, but the worlds that aren't at the frontier are quite fine. People there live, work, fall in love just like modern people do, the trick is we never visit them.

In the DF we can visit almost every place and what do we see there?
Skinless abominations with external ribs raiding villages where people sleep on floors in crude huts. The human fortresses which are identical to villages except their inhabitants are fully militarized. You make single step in the woods and are instantly swarmed by wolves, you step into desert and wish you've gone to the woods.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 07:23:33 pm »

Ok, so throw Warhammer Fantasy Battles in the mix... All very emo-goth-matrixy nihilistic doom set in a Benny Hill episode.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

what Di said.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:47 pm »

The Eldar created a god of Chaos through sheer debauchery!  I don't think anyone should take any advice from them!

There is something awesome about making gods...

Here is the thing about 40k that doesn't make any sense.

Why doesn't humanity have any gods? I mean, the Emperor kinda counts, but what about that weird techy god that the Adeptus Mechanicus worships? Where the hell is that thing?

If you're talking about 'The Machine Spirit', that's actually an A.I. from the dark age of technology.

From what I understood, Humans are the source of the chaotic nature of the Immaterium. It's the reason why the emperor wanted to unite the earth and get rid of superstitious believes; So that the Chaos Gods would never gain any power. Some people think that, when the emperor dies, he will be reborn as a 'good' Chaos God, bringing light into the darkness of the immaterium or something along those lines :P

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »

I wonder what would happen if dwarves and The Imperium Of Man swapped places for a year.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »

Things would get done for a change, and there would be a lot more booze, and the Emperor's room would be turned into a mgame flood trap.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:14 pm »

Things would get done for a change, and there would be a lot more booze, and the Emperor's room would be turned into a mgame flood trap.

Meanwhile...

Space Marine N-302342342342342349: Hey, I think we killed the last of the kobolds. It seems like everything is dead.

Imperial Guardsmen: Oh wait, that Kobold is still sobbing. I'll just shoot it.

Space Marine: Well, I can call that a job well done.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 01:57:28 am »

The Eldar created a god of Chaos through sheer debauchery!  I don't think anyone should take any advice from them!

There is something awesome about making gods...

Here is the thing about 40k that doesn't make any sense.

Why doesn't humanity have any gods? I mean, the Emperor kinda counts, but what about that weird techy god that the Adeptus Mechanicus worships? Where the hell is that thing?

If you're talking about 'The Machine Spirit', that's actually an A.I. from the dark age of technology.
He's talking about the Omnissiah. The Omnissiah is the Void Dragon, though the AdMech say that they are merely "worshiping the Emperor in his guise as the Omnissiah". The void dragon was put up there by the Emperor way back when he was called Saint George.

From what I understood, Humans are the source of the chaotic nature of the Immaterium.
Nope. The immaterium got fucked up way back when the C'Tan and the Old Ones were fighting. They Old Ones were using it to try and kill the C'Tan. All the humans did was cause the births of Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, and assorted demons.
It's the reason why the emperor wanted to unite the earth and get rid of superstitious believes; So that the Chaos Gods would never gain any power. Some people think that, when the emperor dies, he will be reborn as a 'good' Chaos God, bringing light into the darkness of the immaterium or something along those lines :P
You're thinking of the Starchild theory there. They don't think he would be a chaos god, just a normal god, like Gork, Mork, and the assorted Eldar gods.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:20:23 am by Cruxador »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7