Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrible?

Very!
- 145 (54.7%)
A bit.
- 57 (21.5%)
Mehish.
- 24 (9.1%)
Not really.
- 11 (4.2%)
Not at all!
- 28 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 263

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?  (Read 38594 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 03:05:28 am »

The world of DF is so horrifying the children won't even play with their toys.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2010, 03:08:07 am »

I think the starchild theory refers specifically to the few people in the imperium who seem to have a small fragment of the emperor's power. The idea is to gather (I think) 100 of them (or some other specific number) and then the cult would murder them all at the same time so that all the shards of the emperor's soul would merge together again.

Then again, I think I also read that an inquisitor found that, in at least one cult's case, they were actually worshipping Tzeench. Just as planned.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:09 am »

I think the starchild theory refers specifically to the few people in the imperium who seem to have a small fragment of the emperor's power. The idea is to gather (I think) 100 of them (or some other specific number) and then the cult would murder them all at the same time so that all the shards of the emperor's soul would merge together again.

Then again, I think I also read that an inquisitor found that, in at least one cult's case, they were actually worshipping Tzeench. Just as planned.
You're getting things mixed up. Those 100 people are the Sensei, the Emperor's biological children. The Illuminati want to kill a bunch of Sensei like the old shamans that formed the emperor in the first place, making a new Emperor. Both of these things have been retconned, to the extent that GW ever retcons things. The Starchild theory is independent of that. You're thinking of a specific temple to the Starchild which happened to also be a have of Sensei. An intersection of things, but the two things are not otherwise related.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 03:32:17 am »

Ladys and gentalmen, we have crossed a line, into a scary and unknown place. In this place, and laws of common reality fade, in favor of arbitary rules of existance. We have gone from relating the subject matter to a game, into full blown geekout mythos discussion. From here, it is only a matter of time before Ithaqua is mentioned, and from then on, there is no return.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:55 am »

Now you see how horrifying the world of DF really is. :)

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 04:17:54 am »

Well, excuse me, but I think Dorfs would be pretty horrified to find out that in this world, seven year old kids are not allowed to drink river spirits or wine on a daily basis.

And let's not forget that in this world you can't eat a fine minced cat meat and fisher berry meals without the RSPCA knocking on your door!
Or try build a magma moat around your house and see what happens.
Or walk around naked! Yea, how about that? When was the last time you went to work, and shuffled around in your cubicle, forwarding mails, taking calls, with all your private bits enjoying the AC breeze?

Or how about building some serrated disks traps around your car, maybe this time your stereo won't get nicked?

And well, the last time I tantrumed a bit and threw an old computer case off some stairs, no one said
"Oh shit, quick, hit q and select his cubicle, see what he needs! He's the only Legendary Computersmith in this fortress, we can't afford to lose him!"
They just "meh'd" and went back to work. I swear, nothing phases these guys.

Or how about the next time you don't agree with taxes you build a lever in your leader's room?

Naw man, I'd take DF over RL any day.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:33:21 am by Nospherat »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:42 am »

Ladys and gentalmen, we have crossed a line, into a scary and unknown place. In this place, and laws of common reality fade, in favor of arbitary rules of existance. We have gone from relating the subject matter to a game, into full blown geekout mythos discussion. From here, it is only a matter of time before Ithaqua is mentioned, and from then on, there is no return.

What is the Ithaqua--

*Backstabbed, then thrown off the back of a moving truck.*

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 02:01:15 am »

Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2010, 07:34:32 am »

What is the Ithaqua--

Go hang out in a terrifying glacier for a while, it might show up.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:00 am »

What is the Ithaqua--

Go hang out in a terrifying glacier for a while, it might show up.

Hmm, that would take patience! I'll just do the thing I always do: Look it up in the raws/wiki!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:56 am »

*Face palm*
It's not a DF thing, its a Lovecraft thing. Or atleast a Cthulu thing, I think even though Ithaqau was in the mythos, it wasn't Lovecraft. Maybe, it could have been him.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2010, 09:09:11 am »

*Face palm*
It's not a DF thing, its a Lovecraft thing. Or atleast a Cthulu thing, I think even though Ithaqau was in the mythos, it wasn't Lovecraft. Maybe, it could have been him.

Whoops.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

*Face palm*

If both wikipedia and my memory are correct, it was originally a native american mytho (wendigo?) that either Lovecraft or someone writing a Cthulu story used... I want to say HP used it in a short story, then someone else took it and ran with it...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

The world of DF is not horrifying, as some would lead you to believe, because Urist made a -really- nice table!  ;)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »

Ghastly and horrifying... but it's worth it for the deliciously wonky physics and the !elf skull codpieces!.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7