Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upcoming Update - Traveling Entertainment  (Read 2760 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upcoming Update - Traveling Entertainment
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:07 pm »

I'm super excited for the new adventurer features that are being added!

I'm going to be Dwarfi Minaj

Leaked lyrics from a song: "My anaconda don't want none unless you got plump hun."

;)

Jokes aside,
Who else is excited?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Update - Traveling Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:09 pm »

I've already got a gimmick set up. I made a creature awhile ago, a skeleton that revives the dead as peaceful, intelligent revenants. I'll use it to track down and revive the greatest generated musicians in the world, recruit them into my band, and go on an eternal tour.

If we ever get boats and sea travel, I'll expand upon this and raise a crew of undead pirate rockstars.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Update - Traveling Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:45 pm »

Who else is excited?

I'm not terribly excited. No doubt randomly breaking into song during [in]auspicious moments will net me a chortle or two during Adventure Mode, but it doesn't seem to be the most exciting addition right now. The thing that Adventure Mode lacks, I feel, is motivation. Last update added the ability to go on an epic quest to find the true name of a powerful demon so as to banish or enslave it. And, albeit in significantly more incomplete form, the ability to free an oppressed populace from their overlords or be the overlord in the first place. These things both provide engaging motivations for things to do and neat new tools for doing new stuff. The music addition mostly only does the latter. You can compose songs, make troupes and travel around singing at taverns now, and this is great, but I don't see why I SHOULD do this, other then as a gimmick.

Mind you, once the economy and a few more relevant systems are in and you could sing in taverns for coin, then I'll be significantly more excited. Traveling around collecting or making stories so as to sing new songs and make money or obtain renown or influence is quite a bit better then doing the same except without any sense of non-self-imposed porpoise. For example, having your troupe gain recognition as masters of their craft so as to be asked to perform before the king so you can get your revenge for the war he started against your people would be awesome. But only part of the systems to make that a goal are in right now. I'd rather have music and poetry and stuff here now and then get the rest later instead of having a multiple year wait before having all of it at once, but I don't see adventure mode music and poetry as terribly exciting at the moment.

I AM totally excited for Fortress Mode with this new addition. Being visited by traveling troupes and performers will add depth and make it feel more like a living world. I'd be a lot more invested in a bronze colossus if I'd earlier heard a bard sing about the heroic story of the elf who sliced its left arm off before getting their skull bashed in then otherwise. Like with engravings and statues and such, poetry and music are a way of conveying history to the player.

I've already got a gimmick set up. I made a creature awhile ago, a skeleton that revives the dead as peaceful, intelligent revenants. I'll use it to track down and revive the greatest generated musicians in the world, recruit them into my band, and go on an eternal tour.

If we ever get boats and sea travel, I'll expand upon this and raise a crew of undead pirate rockstars.

All above grumblings aside, this sounds utterly awesome.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling