Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Fantasy Map Maker (Photoshop Action Script)  (Read 106881 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Map Maker (Photoshop Action Script)
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 07:51:49 am »

give me the textures you used, and the approximate methods, and I'll make a program that does this.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:52 am »

Heh, if you have Photoshop and run the script... all the layers are left in a massive pile. There's quite a bit there but you can see all the layer styles and blending modes, meaning anyone interested can have a good look. Textures should be finalized tomorrow some (Australian) time :)
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »

Something I just realized: With these prettier maps, you can get a better idea of the land makeup for embarking, better than the abstracted form you have to be really zoomed in in-game to see, and that's especially relevant post-embark.

I think this has more use than just a prettier map. Provided the water levels are correct, this can make shoreline and island embarks easier to execute, seeing as the land makeup is easier to see/determine. I mean, not all islands exclusively take up a region tile. Many mostly take up 2-4. Japa's visualizer can make finding such islands easier since it has regional splitting as a visual option (Not sure how that can be added to these maps; worth finding a way anyhow).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:14:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 01:26:41 am »

This is just way too awesome...

Only thing that spoils maps are rives thou, they make it very aparent that they are a laid out at square pattern...

Mystara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »

I love this idea. It's actually quite awesome.

This is an older plugin that allows you to run PhotoShop action scripts in GIMP.

It's call GIMP# (GIMP Sharp). However the current script isn't fully compatible with the plugin.

Links:

GIMP 2.6
http://www.gimp.org/

GIMP#
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-sharp/

I provide this information just in case someone out there knows how to write (or re-write) the script so that it actually does work with GIMP. I know it's still probably a huge undertaking, but I also know that providing as many resources or as much information as possible may help.

Thanks for your time, and should a new version be released that works with GIMP, then I am sure I will not be the first to say thank you for your work as well.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 03:00:45 pm »

By Crom, these maps are gorgeous. Amazing work. I hope somebody makes this doable with GIMP.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »

I've been thinking about making a program that duplicates this, just so I could use the maps with Legends Viewer. The main thing is just trying to figure out the techniques that were used. I've can see the general idea on how to do it, just not positive on how to make it blend together and look nice. I'll take a stab at it this weekend though. I don't have a lot of experience with image manipulation techniques, but can probably get my hands on photoshop so I can see what this script does and try my best to duplicate it. Probably at least try to get a gimp script then if I manage that and can find a capable image processing library I'll translate it into a program. It should be a little simpler too since we have gotten a few other maps to export like the biome map which weren't available when this script was made.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 01:14:22 am »

Map Maker cancels create amazing map: Interrupted by error message!
Error message strikes jrmy in the emotions, and the severed part sails off in an arc!

These maps are very pretty though, my gosh.

edit: realised I had added the wrong pictures to the wrong layers. huh. embarrassing? anyway, the map was produced without the rivers. kind of strange haha. still, this is pretty neat!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:29:09 am by jrmy »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 04:33:05 am »

Oh, please, let this magic happen in gimp!

Mystara - did you try it with that plugin?

Mystara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

I did, the plugin crashes because some of the script commands are not supported.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:35 pm »

Here is my attempt at remaking this for GIMP: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4359

A bit more time consuming than I thought it would be, but I have it automated enough I'm not even going to try and make a program that does this by itself like I thought I would. This way is best anyways so that the map is still editable with its layers for those that want to mess with it. I didn't get the little civ site markings and roads on there like the original, but I'll look into it later. Couple other things I might add later like having an evil biome layer.

Edit: Comparison
Spoiler: Original (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mine (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:32:03 pm by Parker147 »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

Wow, great progress!

I took liberty of mentioning it on wiki list of utilities and tools.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:44 pm »

Thanks for the gimp script Parker. It doesn't fully work for me (says that it can't find "clipboard", could be an language issue?, I am using gimp 2.6 under XP) but after I deleted a few lines of code, i got an easy editable result  8)

Made some experiments with it in blender:

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »

That's pretty cool. I gotta try that out sometime. Asking for everyone, how did you do that?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 08:19:56 am »

quite a sort of necroing, but giving this a try...think of the possibilities outside df.
You grab the random map generator of df and the visualizer with the legends...you can create infinite fantasy worlds even for other things like dungeon and dragons and the like!.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6