Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: An illustrated holiday anecdote  (Read 24415 times)

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An illustrated holiday anecdote
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:40:13 am »

Inspired by the discovery of magma teleporting piston technology, the dwarves of Calmedrack had a holiday plan.  Like most dwarven plans, it took years to come to fruition.  As it happened, this particular plan was finally ready to go into action in the springtime, so the dwarves decided to invite the elfs to see the event first hand and even participate in the festivities.

The elfs were directed to a clear glass depot on top of a 63x23x15 urist block of cast obsidian.  If they were worried at all by the numerous cages around them, they didn't show it.  Probably they were distracted by their distaste for the depot's construction material.  (When will they learn that trees are meant to be used?)

Meanwhile, the dwarves gathered on the observation deck to watch what would come next.

The lower level of the observation deck is a platter of cast obsidian atop a narrow, 15 urist high tower (also of cast obsidian), with clear glass windows providing a panoramic view of the Calmedrack.  The way up is a spiral stair, intertwined with a lava channel to form a cozy dwarven double helix of warmth and cheer.  This stair continues two urist up from the lower level of the observation deck, now in clear glass.  The upper level of the observation deck is floored in clear glass, decorated with olivine, cobaltite, and gold.  The top of the lava channel is left open for the enjoyment of those on the upper level.  The ceiling is clear glass, rimmed with silver, with a dome of gold and clear glass in the center.

With everyone who was able gathered in the observation tower, it was time for the fun to begin.  The first lever was thrown, blocking egress from the great obsidian plateau and raising the ceremonial gold drawbridges providing access to the observation tower.

The elfs looked confused for a moment, and then the second switch was thrown.  Their eyes went wide as nine dozen cages of goblins and trolls sprang open around them.

The elfs ran around in a panic, but the gobbos showed little interest in actually attacking them.  Fortunately, there were three cages left in reserve on the far right.  The third lever was thrown, releasing a hydra and two cyclopses into the mix.  They were considerably more active participants in the festivities.

With the great obsidian block properly anointed, it was time for the fourth and final lever.  Somewhere far below, supports crumbled, and the great block was sent crashing into the ground, ejecting a carefully crafted lava plume 15 urist high, spelling out a holiday greeting in letters big enough to see from - well, not big enough to see from space, but pretty darn big all the same.  The words were legible for but a moment, but they were burned indelibly in the memories of all who saw them.

What happened after that was a chaos of fallen bodies and lava spilling over the land.  The dwarves were cut off from the main fortress.  The bridges melted.  Masterworks were lost in the fiery flood.  But the dwarves had food and booze, so the good times continued to roll.  For a little while, anyway.

Cheers, everyone.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: An illustrated holiday anecdote
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:53:22 am »

:o DWARFIEST CHRISTMAS EVER.  That is seriously so amazing i want to cry tears of joy at its beauty and shame at never creating anything to even remotely rival that.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:56:02 am »

Brilliant!
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Wolfhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:25:50 am »

I salute you, as you have won the Dwarfmas.

Spectacular job.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:29:12 am »

lol, when I opened this I was gonna say to move it to the stories board.

Having seen what you did...

Nice work mate, and thanks for sharing :)  Happy Dwarfmas to you too
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:26 am »

The cloud. The rest is perfectly wonder elf carnage and all, but that cloud of smoke and lava mist is perfect. I weep at your feet in awe and reverence, and give prayers and sacrifice to Armok in hopes of ever achieving similar.

Happy Dwarfmas indeed.  8)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:32:27 am »

Cheers mate.

I am awestruck.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:21:17 am »

Pure awesome present. Laughed out loud while in a public library. Many stares and shushes at my direction.

So a Merry U-mas and a Happy 'Ew year!

Spoiler: What did I just say? (click to show/hide)

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 07:23:48 am »

that is awesome

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:20 am »

Dwarf children will be told storys of how Trouserman lives in the lower cavens, with he's workforce of dwarves, toiling away so that all the good little boys and girls can have a merry dwarfmass, and the elves can get burnt into coal.

Merry dwarfmass to you, oh mighty builder of win.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:23 am »

You, sir, just won the internet. You can fetch your copy on top of Big Ben.
マグマキッド

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 04:38:08 pm »

Great work! Wish I knew how to do stuff like this.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:39:51 pm »

I look at it with schemtisism at first not knowing what was going to happen.
And then I looked at with this face o.O A face of awe and wonder XD
Merry dwarfmas
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Halna LeGavilk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »

Very, very awesome. Kudos to you. Sooo.... please explain how?

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 05:52:45 pm »

Bravo! Mind if I use that "Merry Dwarfmas" pic as background on my desktop?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4