Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Empty Barrels, 33e  (Read 948 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Empty Barrels, 33e
« on: December 12, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

All this is on light, Outside, Above Ground.  If that's relevant.  

Trying to brew at the still.  Dwarf says no empty barrels if there are empty barrels but they are on a stockpile.  Basically, I have to move empty barrels from food to furniture stockpile, then un-designate furniture stockpile, because nothing else works:  if the barrel is on empty ground otherwhise or on a stockpile, the no empty barrel error message is thrown.

Assuming the behavior continues(several rounds already), I'm sure I'll have a save if it's needed.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Barrels, 33e
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

Hrm.  I have now been able to get them to take barrels from empty ground on occasion regardless, though I can't reproduce when this does and does not work(I've eliminated targeting for hauling as a suspect).  Still won't take it from a stockpile even if the barrel is empty though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

Your barrels are probably already tasked for storage instead of brewing, but not yet hauled to their designation. You will need lots and lots of barrels once your farming operation is up and functioning. Especially once you start making dwarven syrup (I believe a barrel can only hold 15 syrup).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Or a big stockpile.
They're probably tasked for something, as martin said. I suggest making a separate stockpile for drinks and severely limiting the max amount of barrels in the normal food stockpile so you'll always have some ready for drink-making.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

I checked that already.  They were not tasked for anything.  They even showed that behavior immediately after having been hauled(for example, they were hauled empty from the food to the furniture stockpile, and I still got the job cancellation:  no empty barrels message).

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

Are the barrels you are trying to use numbered on a food stockpile?  Did you reserve any barrels?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

One time it was numbered on a food stockpile:  the other time I'm not sure.  After that I changed to just having them piled up in the still for now, since I only have a few and it's a very small fort with only seven dwarves at the moment.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

I'd still like a "reserve barrel for brewing" designation sometime this millennia, it would make the empty barrel not being empty situation so much simpler to handle.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

Barrels can also be tasked for storage in another way: If some dwarf is storing an item in a barrel, both the item and the barrel are tasked. Check the [j]ob list to see if there are "store item in barrel" jobs.
If you loo[k] over a barrel, you cannot tell if it is tasked or not.

Another way to test if this is the case is to turn off food hauling for all your dwarves and see if you can brew.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Thanks, but that isn't the issue either.  ALL stockpiles other than the one were disabled for using barrels, so there was nothing that could possibly be wanting to be stored in one.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

I think I have a similar problem.

My still throws the "Needs empty barrel."-Message and I have a food stockpile (only for "Food"->"Drink (Plant)"->All) next to the still with an empty barrel (+Birchen barrel <94>+). No jobs which could interfere.

Where is the problem in my thoughts or the dwarfs?

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

Make a furniture stockpile?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

I don't know why a furniture stockpile because the barrel stands right for a brewer barrel. But the furniture stockpile doesn't help too.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

is this general barrel handling a bug or a feature?

it seems like my dwarfs had to build so much barrels that there are no other things to put in. then they can be used for brewing.

Atm I had to pause from my actual game because the brook is frozen and no alcohol will be made because they filling the barrels with all other things while they are thirsty.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Stockpiles try to keep one empty bin or barrel on them all the time (the number is the number of the stockpile).  The brewer won't use that spare barrel.  Try reducing the number of barrels allowed in that stockpile ('q' the stockpile, then use e or r or E or R, I never remember which does what).
Pages: [1] 2