Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Outer Colony  (Read 23401 times)

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
Re: Outer Colony
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:48 pm »

Hey guys, thanks for the questions and posts - this is just a quick update here.

Torvus is correct that we took the existing beta release offline, since the isometric rendering overhaul is going to change the way that the game plays and feels. We're going to re-release the beta with the exact same gameplay features once the graphics overhaul is done, but we've still got a lot of sprite production left before that will happen.

Development is progressing on our end, although it's obviously at a lesser pace than in past years, since full-time+ consulting soaks up most of time. I'm constantly engaged in various programming tasks related to the rendering overhaul, but most of it isn't things that players would care much about. This weekend I adjusted how byte-matrix compression works to try to squeeze more performance out of the engine, and I finished updating the project to work with Java 11, since we don't want to fall behind the Java-release curve. That was actually quite a bit of work, since the jokers at Oracle decided to decouple JavaFX from the core JDK, but I managed to get the game running on the new JDK about an hour ago.

Sprite production is finally starting to progress at a good clip. I think we've got a fantastic pixel artist that's joined our team, and he's cranking out isometric assets that look sharp to me right on the schedule we've set up. We've got thousands and thousands of sprites to make, but it's only a matter of time.

I appreciate everyone's patience, and I'll post additional updates as soon as we have something cool to show. It'll probably be a while longer until we cross that threshold, but again, I'm really grateful to you guys for all the testing you've done and support you've shown for the project.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2018, 04:25:23 pm »

Wonderful.

I eagerly wait for something to toy with.
The Letter.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2018, 08:59:29 pm »

also keeping an eye on things

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2018, 10:43:04 am »

Thanks for the status update.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2019, 01:59:39 pm »

Hi !

Spring is a good time for some news, isn't it ?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:43 am »

been a little light but things are still going

Torvus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2019, 09:28:50 pm »

Hi !

Spring is a good time for some news, isn't it ?

Hello! Sam could of course give a better update, but I can tell you that things are moving along. I have no background in coding, so some of what Sam says goes over my head, but basically, the systems are in place now to facilitate the isometric graphics and he's just been plugging them in as he gets them. A pixel artist has been found and has been producing the assets. To speed things up, Sam is looking to bring on another pixel artist. I believe Sam himself is currently implementing fixes and suggestions that he put on hold before beginning the graphics overhaul.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:30 am »

I figure I'll keep an eye on this. Seems like a pretty interesting project.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]