Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 536734 times)

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:15 am »

Is there a way to NOT sometimes attack with my offhand? I'd prefer to not go around setting fires to everything i attack, it's a bit annoying.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 03:20:28 am »

Screen-flipping instead of scrolling; interesting. Or it was interesting until I walked off the edge of the screen and screen-flipped directly onto a pit of acid.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 03:52:03 am »

Wow, those plants in the red rock that grab you really suck. It's impossible to shoot them to death for some reason as every time I fire at them I miss without any message, and getting past them is tricky if not fatal attempting.

Also, water as currency. Heh, now you can't just spend spend spend all your money with no consequences. Fooled me once. Didn't die from it though; died from some ranged enemy in the red rock cave.

Edit: Hehehe, I've got a HE grenade mk I. HEHEHEEEEEE! Oh man, purchasing that random artifact was a great idea. ;D

Edit2: HAH! I found a Freeze grenade mk I in a chest.

Edit3: And a poison gas grenade mk I. Oh my, it'll be fun using these.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:35:28 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 06:39:07 am »

This is so annoying, I'm trying to play but it freezes the second I open it up.

The initialization window thingy works fine, but the actual game doesn't even start playing :(
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:40 am »

Oh my, this sounds very much like what I want.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:23 am »

This sounds great, but I can't get it to work. It freezes every time before it even finishes loading. Anyone know what's wrong? I'm running Vista, though I tried running it in compatibility mode and it didn't make a difference...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:27:30 am »

It takes a while to load after starting it, that might be your problem.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

I'm running Vista
There's your prolem.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:40 am »

This sounds great, but I can't get it to work. It freezes every time before it even finishes loading. Anyone know what's wrong? I'm running Vista, though I tried running it in compatibility mode and it didn't make a difference...

(FYI, I wrote the Caves of Qud software; I didn't realize it would spread outside of SA so fast; I hope you guys have fun with it! It's very early still, and there's still a ton of work do to. This is literally the second day of open beta, so there's alot of issues to work through. It's fully playable though, so I encourage you to try it out and post bugs!)

Try running the console shortcut (or creating a shortcut to xrl.exe with the '-console' parameter), perhaps OpenGL is failing.

At what point during startup does it freeze, can you see anything? If it's just a black/white screen, running in console mode should work.

FYI, I've done a bit of troubleshooting in the SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3235469&pagenumber=61#pti12

Basic Troubleshooting:

I get an IOError when saving, or I get a Prognition.SAV isn't found: I'm bad a programming and I'm creating saves under program files in Vista and Windows 7. Run as administrator, or re-install outside of program files (c:\games\coq or whatever)

My screen is all black or all white and nothing happens: Post your video card in the Freehold bug reports forum, and then try the 'Caves of Qud - Console' shortcut, it will probably work till I can fix these issues.

The font is hideous: Try the OpenGL Filtered shortcut.

I resized my screen now it's even more hideous: Download the latest and hit escape once you're in-game. Select the "reset aspect ratio" option and it should automatically resize based on your width to a correct aspect ratio.

How do I run in filtered or console mode from the zip installer?: Make a shortcut to xrl.exe with the -filter or -console argument, respectively.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:44:17 am by unormal »

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 11:33:07 am »

Oh wow, this game is fun.

My first character died because the watervine farmers shot me after I tried to steal from their chest.

Second time I died because I got eaten by beakraptors or whatever they were, there were tons of them.

Does anyone know what the whole 1d4 thing is on weapons? I read the manual but I don't think it says what the 4 relates to, and is there a sneak skill?
I'm going to have alot of fun tonight  :D

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:08 am »

Never played a P&P RPG then? It's the damage for the weapon if I understand correctly.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 11:38:03 am »

1d4 means roll a four-sided dice 1 time. 2d6 would mean roll twice the six-sided dice, etc.
-edit-
And yeah, the result is weapon damage
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:52 am »

Ah thanks you very much, I haven't played a game like this before. The only thing that would come close is DF I suppose.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 11:55:29 am »

Hm, that's odd. I had tried running both Console and OpenGL mode before but neither had worked (completely froze during the loading process). This time console mode worked fine. Finally time to give this game a try! I guess I'll go post my video card info on the other page to help with development.

Also: wow, the developer is already here answering questions! Pleasure to have you around, unormal.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »

Hm, that's odd. I had tried running both Console and OpenGL mode before but neither had worked (completely froze during the loading process). This time console mode worked fine. Finally time to give this game a try! I guess I'll go post my video card info on the other page to help with development.

Also: wow, the developer is already here answering questions! Pleasure to have you around, unormal.

Yup, we noticed a bunch of people landing at weird places on our site, and realized it was already in a bunch of forums all over the internet! A little faster than we expected, but it's all good, just be aware that there are some bugs, mostly covered in the troubleshooting. Hope you guys enjoy, there's a lot more coming.

FYI, I'm a huge dwarf fortress fan. (but hey who isn't?) :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 250