Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 541421 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2010, 04:21:16 pm »

Loving this game a lot, though I'm going slow this time and just reaching level 5 shortly :3

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »

God damn, albino Apes are tough. Seriously, don't even think of fighting them in melee unless you are a god of the early game, because that ape just wouldn't give in to domination or melee attacks. Well, time to start another adventurer.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2010, 04:23:19 pm »

... i played it some time ago ... and bought a license today ...
i never played non-mutant ... the benefits just don't seem big enough.
also: what does the :gonk: in debug do?
It's a joke

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 04:36:18 pm »

Things are going really well. Level 7, almost 8 and saving up for another mutation. I actually savescummed once though. How was I supposed to know that that corpse was actually in the same square as superheated steam due to of my fireball?

Anyway, I finished the quest but forgot what city the dude pointed at me to go next. Anyone know what it was?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 04:42:04 pm »

Anyway, I finished the quest but forgot what city the dude pointed at me to go next. Anyone know what it was?
Which guy? The argyve guy? I'm pretty sure he wants you to go to The Grit Gate to the north east, past the rusted archway.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »

... past the rusted archway. Buggery.

That would explain what happened to th'best of my runs, so far. I thought the grit gate was somewhere in the rusted archway. Went all the way to the bottom of the thing, too, before running into a flaming snout on the way back up. Fire, fire, everywhere.

Latest run's doing well, so far. Frozen hands + multiple legs = win. Kite, freeze, murddaaaarrrr.

EDIT: Robots seem to be particularly susceptible to freezing, oddly enough. 250-300 xp per kill isn't a thing to scoff at, at level 4.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:59:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »

You can review your quests (all nicely broken down into steps) by pressing q.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »

Wow, I just died to a glow pad when I wasn't paying attention. That's a darn shame since that guy was an excellent choice for a melee character. I blame you guys for distracting me with your posts long enough that I forgot the situation I was in.

Ohh, got a good roll; Precognition Spinnrets Heightened Speed and Flaming Hands with 12st 18 agil 19 tough 19 intel 20 will and 14 ego. This should do quite nicely for a ranged character.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:02:16 pm by Tarran »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

I've lost like two guys to those freaking glowpads, man. They're harder to kill then crocs and love to crit for some ungodly reason. Trivial threat my arse.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »

I hate Jilted lovers. I just died to one. You can't attack them with ranged attacks, making life hell for ranged characters, and it is very difficult to get past them in hallways.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

Freezing hands hits them just fine :P

Most other ranged mutations I've tried seem to, too. For th'non-mutants, I can see how it'd be more trouble, I guess. The jilts seem to be pretty easy to kill in melee, though... I've occasionally had them knock off 15-20 hp, but it's pretty rare. Usually they just die to the first swing, even for critters that haven't been exactly melee spec'd. Heavier armor seems to help, somewhat.

Grenades, maybe?
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2010, 05:13:39 pm »

Freezing hands hits them just fine :P

Most other ranged mutations I've tried seem to, too.
...You mean I could've used flaming hands on them? Crap.

Grenades, maybe?
They aren't worth the grenades.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:42 pm »

Yes. You could have burnt them from the face of existence (or at least whatever wall they were stuck to).

In other news, Freezing hands + slumberling = hilarity. Most of the time, the thing lapses back into hibernation before it thaws out. That's some hardcore sloth, right there.
Ask not!
Ask!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »

I rolled an amazing character. I called him a light esper. The had the light power that was basically the same as having a torch and a laser pistol. He had psychokinesis -and- created entangling vines, so imagine the fun.... Freaking warrior managed to kill him, despise burning and shooting him madly.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 05:32:13 pm »

Huh, I found a caravan. Neat, never knew there were caravans. And a guard died for some reason. Free weapons for me! Unfortunately, the caravan only sells nuggets, which are worthless to me. Plus, he doesn't have any drams.

Also, domination is the best early game life saver ever. There's no arguing that controlling the enemy that was about to kill you is the best weapon and life saver in the entire game.

Aaaannnd I died to a brute. I really should've not tried fighting him and instead just dominated him and make him leave.

Edit: Started a new guy. Did good. Found a ruin and raided it. Dominated a creature then tried to kill a hermit but failed. Tried meleeing the wounded hermit but despite his wounds and his "average" difficulty he still managed to beat the crap out of me.

What was the most dissapointing part was the fact that after I died I found out that one of the artifacts I raided was a freaking CHAINGUN(which has the exact same damage rolls as DoomRL's chaingun, strangely).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:05:07 pm by Tarran »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 250