Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 536581 times)

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »

http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/content.php

It's a post-apocalyptic roguelike inspired by worlds like those of Dune, Gamma World, and Gene Wolfe's works. It is an open-world roguelike, heavily inspired by ADOM and Omega, providing a world map that combines static and procedurally generated locations with hand-written quests-lines. The world is deeply simulated; each monster is as "real" as the player -- they wield equipment, suffer all the same effects, and interact with the world in the same way as the player. Everything in the world -- creatures, items, walls, etc -- has a physical presence and can be destroyed, frozen, set on fire, etc. The whole world is contiguous, so if you want (and have the patience) you can go down a few levels and dig your way across the entire world. Though this physical simulation means that the game is fairly resource intensive for a roguelike.

We've tried to update the roguelike interface to be as modern as possible, providing user interfaces for conversation, trade, quests, and skills that should feel pretty modern, even though they are provided via a terminal interface. We provide the plethora of commands a roguelike player expects, but also provide a single "smart use" command (bound to 'Space' by default), that chooses the most "reasonable" thing to do in the square. So, for common interactions you can simply walk up to a door and hit 'Space' to open it, walk up to an NPC and hit 'Space' to talk to them, or walk up to a chest and hit 'Space' to loot it. Though if you want to run over to a pool of acid, fill up your canteen with it, and hurl it at a nearby enemy, all of the manual commands are available as well, and may be freely remapped.

We set out with a pretty ambitious feature set in mind, and while all of the content is not yet nearly complete, all of the core features are in place:

An expansive world map
Conversations
Detailed descriptions for everything in the world
Lots of items
A modern quest system
Lots of skills
Build your own items
Trade with any NPC

The game is built in .NET 2.0, so you'll need to install the .NET framework in order to run it; and it'll be Windows-only (sorry Mac/Linux guys, but it'd have taken me many times longer to do a project of this scope in c++).  The first main plot line beginning with Argyve is not yet complete to the end, but it goes quite far (as far as I know there's only been a single 'win' of the game in it's current form, and not for lack of trying), and it will be clear when you've reached the end. There's much left to add to the game, and all the feedback we get from this Beta will go into finish and polishing the final release.

Finally, when you run the game you'll notice you can purchase a registration key, though the unregistered version of the game is fully functional. Register if you'd like to help support us with this project and others like it.

We've spent a lot of time just making a game we ourselves would like to play, and we really hope you guys have fun with it!

Game has crazy ambition, solid ASCII work, and will probably be open for Tile doings down the line.   Bay12 folk should find it to be pretty cool, as it is hewing in that direction.   8)

*Not a dev on this, just know something that'll be big when I see it barring no concerted lightning strikes and the like derailing such a project, etc *

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 01:11:12 pm »

Why ASCII instead of graphics?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:16:10 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

:l

Of course! The Indifferent face! that totally answers my question in every concievable way!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »

Sounds cool, but "Open Beta" makes it sound like you'll have to buy the release. :/

Of course! The Indifferent face! that totally answers my question in every concievable way!
Not everyone wants to take the time to make tiles, and if he's using curses I don't think he will even be able to make tile support.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:48:09 pm »

Did you even read the description of the game? It's a huge simulation, and the guy wants to go as fast as possible. Hell, he doesn't even want to make Mac/Linux releases for lack of a better medium to program it in:
The game is built in .NET 2.0, so you'll need to install the .NET framework in order to run it; and it'll be Windows-only (sorry Mac/Linux guys, but it'd have taken me many times longer to do a project of this scope in c++)
Plus, I like ASCII tiles. :l

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:00:00 pm »

Wow, this seems really good, seems like what DF adventure mode is right now minus the dismemberment. Whoops, looks like you can lose limbs, but probably not at the same scale of DF
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:09:01 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

Sounds cool, but "Open Beta" makes it sound like you'll have to buy the release. :/

Don't think so.

Finally, when you run the game you'll notice you can purchase a registration key, though the unregistered version of the game is fully functional. Register if you'd like to help support us with this project and others like it.

Pretty much looks to be a donation-if-you-feel like it with a more formalized way of keeping track and such.

IIRC, you can lose a good number of limbs and such as there are some crazy things to play as in particular if you go down the Mutant route...

Another reason for ASCII at the onset was an attempt to challenge how nice and expressive the whole ANSI/ASCII thing could perhaps be with some extra thought put into it---IIRC of course as I believe it was state by a dev on the main board.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:54:22 pm by getter77 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

Art skill and coding skill doesn't necessarily coincide, and badly done sprites are worse than ASCII.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »

Not yet, I can't stop playing Darksiders.  I'll get to it later.
Shoes...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 06:12:58 pm »

I've played it, but was distracted by Cortex Command, getting back to it now though and it seems fun, even though you get lost every few spaces you move on the world map.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »

ASCII aside, has anyone actually tried this yet?

I don't know why everyone was so stuck on that point.

I said that indifference face explained everything. Obviously the creator was ambivilous.

Also what does "Modern Quest System" Mean?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 11:06:23 pm »

It is actually somewhat painful to look at -- and I say this as someone who plays DF and pretty much every roguelike where it's an option in ASCII -- but as a game qua game? I'm hooked.

My last dude died to a Snapjaw Firesnarler, who had set about half that cavern level on fire, including the walls. I burnt to death, because not only is shale apparently flammable, so is Jack. Jack was quick, had a beak and burrowing claws, spat electricity everywhere, and had multiple legs. He murdered over a score of hyenabolds (aka Snapjaws) through zappage and bludgeoning of the claws and staff. He slew a number of crocodiles, glowing fish, and what are apparently voracious mutant lilypads. He died to fire.

My next character, also named Jack, has spinnerets, multiple legs, and an exoskeleton. He (or she, I guess. Gender doesn't seem to be defined.) also can regenerate lost limbs. Through a quirk of mutation, Jack has gained the detriment Evil Twin. Somewhere out there, a parallel version of Jack travels through time and space to destroy him.

I have not yet moved more than 2 map squares from the starting town. Despite this, I am impressed.

EDIT: For those looking to get started, travel south two areas and kill some glowfish. Bring the glowfish back to the trader (Press ?, then check the 10 things) to sell for water. Use the water to buy needful things, then go kill more glowfish. Beware the lilypad things, because they apparently hit pretty hard, or something. Also watch out for crocs and more dangerous things as you expand your hunting area.

Starapples sell pretty well, if you've got harvestry. They're the red yen signs =p
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:13:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:52 am »

The biggest bug that I've found is that you can't see enemies at night but it seems they can see you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:21:05 am »

Torches. You'll probably start with them. If not, get one from trader. Wear it in an empty hand. You can light and extinguish them as needed.

You'll also occasionally take swipes at whatever you're attacking with said torch. S'nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 250