Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 536653 times)

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3690 on: January 25, 2019, 04:36:06 am »

Well that was a slightly unorthodox start of the Bey Lah whodunit quest.    Before I started the quest a swarm of hostile goatfolk had followed me into Bey Lah,  first resulting in a battle between  the goatfolk and the hindren villagers in which the hindren barely won at the cost of several causalities and then a civil-war among the hindren due to a friendly-fire incident that caused Liihart to attack and kill Warden Neelahind.    Angohind and Meyehind were also killed during battle. 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »

I just noticed that if you successfully accuse the guard (Kesehind?) of the theft, they will end all conversations with "live and drink piss." Good times.

Also, it looks like Tinkers should probably still start in Joppa for the guaranteed tinkering store, but what other starting locations do people go with. The reputation bonuses seem important, but I don't think I care about most of the factions you get bonuses for (fish for madpoles might be good, and...I think that's it).

Also, I found Stopsvallin for the first time in years. I'm playing an agile character, so shields don't see much use, but +1 ego is good.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 29, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

I just noticed that if you successfully accuse the guard (Kesehind?) of the theft, they will end all conversations with "live and drink piss." Good times.

Also, it looks like Tinkers should probably still start in Joppa for the guaranteed tinkering store, but what other starting locations do people go with. The reputation bonuses seem important, but I don't think I care about most of the factions you get bonuses for (fish for madpoles might be good, and...I think that's it).

Also, I found Stopsvallin for the first time in years. I'm playing an agile character, so shields don't see much use, but +1 ego is good.

Joppa is my preferred due to argyve, ubernostrum, low difficulty environs, proximity to desert.

I learn shield on all characters since you can learn it at the stilt by water ritual. Stopsvalinn has no dv penalty anyways and is pretty much the best shield.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 25, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »

Picked this up again, and what turned from a quest to explore Qud became a culinary adventure.

Has anyone found any useful effects? I know that sun-dried bananas give temporary psychometry; so bullet-based-builds are no longer stuck behind a luck-wall.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 26, 2019, 08:28:10 am »

Picked this up again, and what turned from a quest to explore Qud became a culinary adventure.

Has anyone found any useful effects? I know that sun-dried bananas give temporary psychometry; so bullet-based-builds are no longer stuck behind a luck-wall.

1) Luck or patience. Unless you are running some insane all-in on chain pistols challenge run or something, you should never run out of bullets. Then again, I'll use a (masterwork or slender) bow until I find/craft a pistol I like, so around the time I start doing Grit Gate->Six Day Stilt->Joppa runs to build up data disks.
2) Outside of Joppa's thirst at half rate food (stolen off the oven) early game and anything made with neutron flux? Nothing super interesting. I like the "fowl concoction."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:29 pm »

Ok, I'm back on Qud.

I've got an 4-armed axe mutant because it's been years since I've made it to Bethesda Susa. I took high enough intelligence for tinkering 1, so which mods are best for axes? Is counterweighted good?

I know I want reinforced for armor (and anything that counts as armor, including bracelets and faces).

I am also using wooden arrows and bullets to make change (meaning I get 5-10 or so every time I trade), even though I don't have the agility to use them often.

Edit: Build is 4-arms mutation, sleep gas, freeze hands, two heads, fur, mental mirror, and narcolepsy. 18 base for everything except will and ego, with the level 9 stat point into dex, so good dual wielding comes online at level 12. Marauder for axe skills and +2 strength. Save points until you get tinkering off Grit Gate, except the first level on dual wielding (which you could wait to pick up in Bey Lah if you don't mind the stupid exploding flowers). Two heads with dismembered faces (and also knollwood skulls) means you've got a good level of mental mirror without investment. Crabs and knollworms have been 1- or 2-shot so far.

I could have gone with the shell, but tinkering means I can have reinforced shardmail (I'm level 12 and just saw one for ~3,000 in Grit Gate). It's less good, but also 4 fewer points. Dropping fur and two heads is 3 points, and loss of some utility (2 points of ego early when it matters, 6 later). Also, bad dv early when it matters isn't great. I'll probably have to make wooly ape furs etc. to deal with Bethesda Susa, but that's what having extra slots from being a mutant is for (1 less pair of gloves, 2 extra shields, one extra hat, and one extra face).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:22:20 pm by Iduno »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: November 18, 2019, 11:44:23 am »

There's a lot on the wiki (see here for detailed effects.)  Several things of note:

Banana chips can be used to get Psychometry, which lets you learn tinker recipes permanently.

If you want to play a cooking-focused character, Spinnerets is extremely useful, since it lets you get unlimited Phase Silk.  There's two ways to take advantage of it:

1.  Don't take Phasing.  Instead, use a Shade Oil Injector or something similar to phase for the first time and produce some phase silk.  Then, use Carbide Chef to turn this into a recipe that reliably grants you the phasing mutation, which you can now get for free via cooking - just use it and harvest the phase webs you produce for more phase silk, so you have an unlimited supply.

2.  Do take phasing.  Produce phase silk and use it to produce cooking effects that trigger when you phase, or which make your phasing last longer, or which phase you automatically.  In this case, max out your Willpower - you can stay phased permanently, or can trigger free effects very frequently, eg. rapid healing when combined with Starapple Preserves.

Always carry a lot of:

Jerky, for HP-based effects.  The 30%-40% HP increase in particular is valuable with anything that can trigger it, as is the one that triggers when you drop below 20% HP and the trigger-on-damage effect.

Starapple Preserves are good for the healing effect (eg. with the phasing trick above, you can heal 15-20 HP every time you phase.)

Salt is easy to get and is good to add when you want to get a solo effect from the other ingredient, as is Cider.

If you have a way to carry it, Lava can be used to get fire-related effects (eg. flaming hands.)

Convalessence can be used for cold-based effects and can be gathered in huge amounts at Bethesda Susa.

Slime Glands can be gotten basically for free by cooking slime (naturally, using it produces more slime, so you can get it again whenever you want.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: November 21, 2019, 07:21:05 pm »

Watervine farmers (the background) gives access to farmers' markets (access is a farmer's coin). Where are these markets? What do they contain?

Also, as a 2-headed axe-wielder, where do I get good (+2 ego or higher) faces?

Is there a way to reveal the map if you start in a random town? I think the mayor is stuck in a wall.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: November 21, 2019, 11:15:35 pm »

For players wanting an easy start, create a character and use the 'Salt Desert' option for the starting villages. These desert villages are always populated by neutral Isschari raiders, who sometimes carry desert rifles. If you venture into the outskirts of town, you can find a lone raider w/ a rifle and murder the poor bastard and take his rifle. With a couple hundred bullets from the trader, you can have a fairly high dps weapon to save your sorry ass.

Anyone know some good starting strats like this one?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: November 21, 2019, 11:34:24 pm »

For players wanting an easy start, create a character and use the 'Salt Desert' option for the starting villages. These desert villages are always populated by neutral Isschari raiders, who sometimes carry desert rifles. If you venture into the outskirts of town, you can find a lone raider w/ a rifle and murder the poor bastard and take his rifle. With a couple hundred bullets from the trader, you can have a fairly high dps weapon to save your sorry ass.

I don't know if it works well anymore, but I used to take flaming/freezing hands+wings and just murder everything landbound. You can get a lot of resources early on this way
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: November 22, 2019, 09:05:43 am »

I don't know if it works well anymore, but I used to take flaming/freezing hands+wings and just murder everything landbound. You can get a lot of resources early on this way

Or find the apprentice and fix the mechanical wings. That'll save a few mutation points for fun things.

About the hidden path:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That should get you enough equipment and xp that you can safely quick travel to the hills to kill snapjaws for a few levels. By the time you're done there, you've got a few rumors to trade in water rituals, iron/steel equipment with maybe one carbide, and good enough stats. Then I usually visit the bears to start ignoring their quest (and break the walls between their doors, but more importantly learn tinkering), the stilt, then bey lah. If you solve the theft so that Keh is banished, you can learn dual wield here. It stacks with 4-armed, making it useful.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: November 28, 2019, 06:22:42 pm »

There is a new beta, and new story content now, and a new village of wonderful agender creatures to meet.

Watervine farmers (the background) gives access to farmers' markets (access is a farmer's coin). Where are these markets? What do they contain?

Also, as a 2-headed axe-wielder, where do I get good (+2 ego or higher) faces?

Is there a way to reveal the map if you start in a random town? I think the mayor is stuck in a wall.

Slumberlings are the easiest. Rimewyks, snailmothers, cragmenschen, and mercurials all have 2 ego faces I think.

Coins/tokens do nothing atm.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: September 06, 2020, 05:38:21 pm »

I encourage any fans of Qud to listen to the newest DF Talk podcast:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177174.0

The back-and-forth between Tarn and Brian is wonderful view of the development side of these games.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to the above-mentioned mutations rebalance. My fav char, the Owl Tinker (wings, beak, nightvision, increased hearing, increased hearing, psychometry) was already affected by the rebalance, as beak now costs a point to take, but you can also wear masks and other face items. So I've reforged the character as a scholar (more appropriate to the Owl trope, frankly) and dropped the increased hearing.

Sometimes I think psychometry is downright broken, but without it, acquiring even basic recipes for chemcells can be expensive and time-consuming.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:41:54 pm by Salmeuk »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: September 06, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »

Eh... I've seen solid argument psychometry is outright detrimental, heh. It is broken, but more in the sense of largely being a waste of points :P

You kinda' touch on it yourself, there. It does save (sometimes a lot of, to be fair) time and effort/money, but... that's all it does. Literally all it does, save you time. Anything it offers can ultimately be acquired by reverse engineering or buying stuff from merchants/finding crap on the ground, so you're basically spending fairly precious/limited starting mutation points just to do that, instead of doing, well. Anything that actually does something.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a fair amount myself (and also fairly often just cheerfully cheat myself in more mutation points on character creation, heh), but that's mostly 'cause I'm pretty lazy -- I don't think the argument's wrong, per se. You're spending those exceedingly limited non-random mutations on something that doesn't actually get you much but a relatively short leg up on stuff like chem cells or lead slugs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:10 pm »

I don't know, the ability to just look at and then build grenades out in the field can be pretty crucial to survival early on. And lead slugs can definitely be a limited resource early on if you don't get lucky.

So I'd say that it feels about right to me. Useful and can help you considerably early game but hardly overpowered most runs. It *can* be OP, but mostly with luck. And luck is the most OP thing in Caves of Qud anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 250