Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 540941 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3720 on: November 06, 2020, 11:13:53 am »

I just found a generated town whose special food is "air rubbed hot meat pancake" and I think I'm going to be sick.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3721 on: November 06, 2020, 12:26:14 pm »

so they sell burgers? plain burger patties. No bun, no cheese, nothing. Just a meat patty.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: November 06, 2020, 01:15:27 pm »

That, and whatever "air rubbed" means.

Trash Divining just gave me this masterpiece:
"Somebody ate a bunch of fruit belonging to the Issachari Tribe."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: November 06, 2020, 01:27:14 pm »

Air rubbed's probably like those air fryers they have running around these days. Rubbed with seasoning, cooked with post apocalyptic air fryer. Sounds fine to me, those things cook alright.

Bigger question would be what makes the rub, Qud ingredients get weird. Or the meat, for that matter. Occurs to me there should be a small chance on trying to eat something the food starts screaming and tries to escape.

E: Yeah... yeah. I'mma just go make a feature request on that one. Here's hoping :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:33:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3724 on: November 06, 2020, 01:55:22 pm »

Air rubbed's probably like those air fryers they have running around these days. Rubbed with seasoning, cooked with post apocalyptic air fryer. Sounds fine to me, those things cook alright.

Bigger question would be what makes the rub, Qud ingredients get weird. Or the meat, for that matter. Occurs to me there should be a small chance on trying to eat something the food starts screaming and tries to escape.

E: Yeah... yeah. I'mma just go make a feature request on that one. Here's hoping :P
You eat the air-rubbed meat pancake.

Your reputation with the Pancake faction drops to -55

The air-rubbed meat pancake(x35) becomes hostile.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 06, 2020, 06:34:53 pm »

SO I found one of these in Joppa:

A truly HOT SEAT.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 15, 2020, 04:35:14 am »

Got back into this a while back, physical mutations are REALLY good now since they removed all the negatives for them (excluding taking up a slot for some, but that's an acceptable tradeoff). The mod scene isn't as active as others, but there's still plenty of great additions; so I'm trying a bunch.

This time I rolled a True Kin with carbide fists. I originally planned to try heavy weapons, but I found a pair of sawn-off shotguns and it's hilarious (shotguns are modded to use pistol skill instead of rifle). Charge in to daze, flurry to stun, and then unload both scoped sawn-offs at point blank to obliterate most targets.

Just finished Golgotha, and am currently combing areas to hunt Pootis Templar. It's rather ironic that hunting them is more profitable for a true kin since you can butcher cybernetics off of their bodies. Lucked out with a bunch of encounters resulting in a not-insignificant pile of nectar and more importantly, crysteel hand bones. No luck with !cold gear though, so I'm collecting coldshrooms and 420 injectors for the inevitable trip through Todd Howard's cryosleep chamber.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 15, 2020, 02:29:06 pm »

No luck with !cold gear though, so I'm collecting coldshrooms and 420 injectors for the inevitable trip through Todd Howard's cryosleep chamber.

You should be able to buy some in Kyakukya. Tinkering wooly onto everything helps, too.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: November 30, 2020, 07:45:11 am »

I just bought this on Steam and it seems pretty interesting. I especially like the futuristic setting.

Without knowing anything, I just made a esper apostle with 24 ego, 19 something strength, with light manipulation, force wall, force bubble, and the evil twin defect. Some questions:

1.I equiped a musket but when I tried to fire it the game tells me "you have no projectile weapon". Its in the main hand and loaded and all.
2. Where do you spend mutation ,skill, and attribute points?
3.How do I get good at melee?
4.How do I get food?
5.What exactly, like, am I suppoesed to do? I guess I can grind out a few levels in the nearby marshes, but then what?
6.Several of the key bindings have 0em(something). What exactly does this mean?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:46:42 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 30, 2020, 10:14:11 am »

The graphics are a lot prettier on Steam than the old free version.  Might be worth buying.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: November 30, 2020, 11:55:47 am »

I just bought this on Steam and it seems pretty interesting. I especially like the futuristic setting.

Without knowing anything, I just made a esper apostle with 24 ego, 19 something strength, with light manipulation, force wall, force bubble, and the evil twin defect. Some questions:

1.I equiped a musket but when I tried to fire it the game tells me "you have no projectile weapon". Its in the main hand and loaded and all.
2. Where do you spend mutation ,skill, and attribute points?
4.How do I get food?
5.What exactly, like, am I suppoesed to do? I guess I can grind out a few levels in the nearby marshes, but then what?

Hello Ion, I hope you enjoy the game. It's one I come back to every few months (like DF) and become obsessed with, learning new strategies or making new characters.

1. The musket must be equipped in your ranged weapon slot, typically key 'r' from the equip menu. Try to use the auto-equip feature on items as it will only place them in a working slot.
2. Press 'z' and it will take you to the char info screen, and I believe you are guided further from there.
3. Melee is dependent on a bunch of different factors, but often it comes down to weapon choice and character build. Weapons have separate penetration and damage. High damage is good, but if you have low STR your penetration is actually capped and so the more armored enemies you see later on are tough or impossible to kill. AGI determines hit-chance, and STA is equally if not more important because HP is just that important in this game. One-shots are common, even against basic enemies who spawn w/ advanced artifacts
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
4. Food is kind of like, an optional skill tree, where if you ignore it there are no ill effects (for the most part), but if you pursue it, it opens up a bunch of interesting gameplay mechanics involving stat bonuses and acquiring secret recipes, and the rare materials to grant you those bonuses. The game will in fact auto-cook for you when you are traveling on the overland map (you have discovered this, right? press < like you are walking upstairs in other roguelikes). If you are not traveling, however, you first need to make a camp using the 'a'bilities screen. Then, walk up to the camp and press 'space' to use it, and you should have an option to whip up some ingredients. This will bring you to satiated, and sometimes even grant you free, useful bonuses like +hp. Water is the 'food' in this game, and you use it at a fast rate as you travel overland. Always carry 20+ and in the early game always have a plan on where and how to get more water. You can find sources of freshwater just exploring! It's also the currency, but I'm sure you have discovered that like many others after spending all your water to buy a musket and dying of thirst after only a few minutes.
5. Start in Joppa like the game recommends. Talk to everyone, and you should have three quests:
a. Go to Redrock and explore the depths, then talk to the Mayor
b. Explore the world and find a trinket for the Tinker
c. Visit the six-day-stilt in the far north after talking to the Mechanimist Pilgrim

Finish the Tinker questline, and you will be granted further instructions on how to proceed. The first two quests give good rewards.

As a beginning player, my advice is to make sure you have a decent weapon (steel melee or desert rifle)  and at least 3 points of armor protection before doing redrock or visiting the rust wells for the Tinker. However, I won't say much more. A HUGE part of this game is just exploring and learning the world through the game's lore.

6. I am unsure what you mean by this question

Some advice, to save your hands: Learn to use the auto-explore function, default key is '0' on the numpad. You can adjust the speed of the A.I. in the options, but it will clear all the fog of war on the local map and open any containers, while avoiding dangerous terrain and stopping when an enemy is spotted. It can still get you killed, but you learn to never use it in certain situations against certain enemy types. Or better yet, only use it when you know the map is safe.

Ruins should be assumed to be HIGHLY DANGEROUS to new characters, but in that same vein, the treasure inside is totally worth it. If you aren't particularly invested in a char, always choose yes when you find a ruin on the overland map, and poke your head around and get your ass destroyed by a glowmoth or a chaingun turret or whatever. A few rounds of that, and you'll start to learn how distinctly unfair the ruins are to low-level characters, but also how to avoid blind corners and to never blindly run into a doorway. Maybe you'll find an electrobow or, like one of my first every characters, an eigenrifle!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:37 am »

One tactic that I found out that has saved my character a bunch of times is mind control.

Creature too strong for me to take on? Mind control it and have it wander into fights with other creatures in the level (also helps with scouting!). Once the controlled creature is about to die, just end the mind control.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: November 30, 2020, 03:32:53 pm »

4.How do I get food?

3) I usually play with pretty good strength and agility, so I don't know for sure which of those stats affects accuracy. Taking the first level of the appropriate weapon tree usually gives you a bonus to hit.

4) Snapjaws are guaranteed to drop corpses, but their corpses are heavy. A lot of other enemies are guaranteed or likely to, and sometimes they drop from enemies fighting each other (glowcrows or dragonflies, sometimes glowpads or glowfish). Carry around a 5-weight corpse for emergencies. I don't believe hunger increases on the map view, so you should only be getting hungry near other creatures.

5) The hills east of the marshes are also full of snapjaws who will drop decent equipment. Joppa has some decent quests for early-ish game (level ~6), if you talk to the tinkerer and the named farmer. You'll also want to get the quest from the guy who tells you to go to the Six Day Stilt, because he gets killed semi-often. That's a long trip, and you'll want to be prepared before you go there (it's mostly a lot of shops, so bring a pile of copper nuggets or however you carry your money). You might also manage to find a dromad caravan wherever you go, and they have a pretty good inventory that restocks. Their guards don't restock, but sometimes carry fullerite equipment, so talk to them all (including the saltbacks).

Eventually, you'll start going into the underground, or following the plot. Once you find the bear people, I like to wander around the nearby ruins, and try a few floors underground to get better equipment and xp. They have a quest with a special reward for completing it and returning by level 18, and another reward for doing it by level 12. Trying it by level 18 isn't unreasonable.

6) Oem Tilde. This thing: ~

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 01, 2020, 05:07:15 am »

Thanks! You guys are really helpful, and I'm really enjoying the game.

I guess I have to say goodbye to that character, though. I just learned the hard way that disintegration and evil twin does not bode well.

So, uh, I have a few new questions, if you guys don't mind.

1.How do you guys chose melee weapons?
2.I'm assuming the flaming and freezing hands that everybody is talking about is acutally flaming and freezing ray?
3.How important exactly is ego?
4.What are the possible materials for melee weapons and how do I determine if they are better or worse?
5.I'm having some problems earning money.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:48:19 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 01, 2020, 07:05:21 am »

1. Whichever you feel like putting skills into, really. I prefer axe or mace, but short or long blade are both plenty good. I'll just pick one early and stick with that, there's not so much of a pick which one as there is a build around one deal, if that makes sense.

2. Yeah. Mutation overhaul that went through recently changed it up a bit, so they got renamed.

3. Either extremely, not very, or actively detrimental, depending on what you're doing :P

If you have mental mutations you're using heavily (or are doing a lot of trading/character interaction stuff, to a significantly lesser degree), then it can be supremely important, being one of the strongest influences on your damage output and general effectiveness.

If you don't have mental mutations, it's still sorta' helpful for trade et al purposes, but is absolutely your primary dump stat and something you basically ignore and let rise passively.

If you have a bunch of mental mutations, ego might just get you brutally murdered. There's a mechanic (glimmer) that starts sending increasingly nasty critters at you if your combined mental mutation level is high enough. Ego functions as an outright multiplier for that (at a rate of ego increase * number of mental mutations), so if you have a bunch of mental mutations pumping your ego can bring down hammers you are woefully unprepared for.

... basically, it depends. If you're new I'd recommend going willpower heavy if you're running an esper or something, until you get used to things. Ego heavy can burn very bright, but it has a nasty habit of also getting you killed.

4. It's a straight progression up to zetachrome, iirc. You'll know which is better 'cause the better one has bigger numbers :P

5. Find books, sell books, mostly. Probably don't bother with weapons below (folded) carbide (or at least stick with daggers, short swords... the lighter stuff), ignore most armor unless you got a ton of free carry capacity. Get a sample of things and see what sells well. Most things light or weightless are primary trade fodder.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250