Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250]

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 536615 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3735 on: December 01, 2020, 04:28:35 pm »

For weapons I'd note that Axe and Mace are best with high strength. Short blades are agi based (mostly), and Long Blades can be used well with either.

All are good with the right builds. I often pick just based on which one I can get a carbide version of earliest.

For money, remember that items are more or less permanent on the game world. If you really want to, you can pick a place like the rust wells or red rock and fully loot them. I mostly don't bother, but I've done it before when going on a really early/heavy tinkerer and wanted to stock up on recipes from Argyve.

My usual rule of thumb is: Lighter and metal or painted/engraved/jeweled is best. Armor is usually a bad weight to price ratio. Better materials makes things more worthwhile. An iron mace is worth carrying, a bronze mace is not. A bronze dagger, however, is fine. Blades are generally better than maces and axes. Smaller the blade, the better the profit margin. Bows and staffs aren't great unless they have mods of some sort.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: December 01, 2020, 05:25:13 pm »

1.How do you guys chose melee weapons?
2.I'm assuming the flaming and freezing hands that everybody is talking about is acutally flaming and freezing ray?
3.How important exactly is ego?
4.What are the possible materials for melee weapons and how do I determine if they are better or worse?
5.I'm having some problems earning money.

3) Only if you're using mental powers or buying/selling. Keeping a knollwood skull for merchants when you have odd ego helps.
4) Bronze, iron, steel, carbide, folded carbide, fullerite, crysteel, flawless chrysteel, zetachrome. I chose axes because they're first alphabetically. Each better material adds some damage (~1) and 1 maximum armor penetration.
5) That happens. if you have an odd ego, add a knollwood skull. Ammunition has no weight (also some willowy or slender items), which is good for carrying. Copper nuggets are always worth 10, buying or selling. Daggers are best to keep (1 weight, good value). Longswords are usually good as well. Worn burnoose, staffs, and bows are okay to keep early game. Axes and maces don't sell for much, but if you have carrying capacity, I guess keep them. Armor other than a worn burnoose is heavy and sells for very little. Honey, cider, and wine are also valuable, especially if you find a lot (a weep). You can also carry your vendor trash back to town and drop it next to the merchants so you can afford to trade when they renew their inventory.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: December 02, 2020, 09:36:32 am »

Thanks for the help guys!

Currently playing a mutant gunlinger. Freezing hands, wings, force wall, evil twin, and heightened speed. Just got a compound bow, which I assume is much stronger than the normal short bows because I paid good money for it. Currently exploring red rock, and finding all sorts of wierd stuff. Also my character wanted to name my gloworb because I bashed some glowpad to death with it. ???

Incidently, can force wall "turn"? My evil keeps surrounding me with it.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: December 02, 2020, 11:31:55 am »

Yeah, you basically draw on the screen with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:11 pm »

It obviously isn't an immediate concern, but has anyone found a good source of top tier bits (8s) other than using an axe to dismember blast turrets? I think I've seen one antimatter cell for sale ever.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: December 02, 2020, 04:37:12 pm »

Disarming phase cannon turrets (which turret tinkers in deep caves can spawn) seem to be your best bet, checking. As a general thing taking apart high end robots is probably about as good as it gets. Stuff's pretty rare on the market.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: December 02, 2020, 10:27:29 pm »

Ah, disarm. That sounds a lot easier to control.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: December 03, 2020, 06:31:14 pm »

I've got a question for you guys, as somebody who played a little Qud in the past and is looking to get back into it: whaddaya do if you ain't got numpad? My old laptop used to have one, but when I moved up to a newer one out of necessity, I ended up without. I could get an attachable usb numpad, but it seems like quite a length to go just to play traditional roguelikes. Are there any non-numpad control schemes that A) feel comfortable and B) don't overwrite important hotkeys?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: December 03, 2020, 07:05:44 pm »

I think it has mouse control these days? No clue how comfortable it is. You can rebind the whole control scheme though, iirc, so... you can make it whatever you prefer. Also fairly robust context menu stuff, so there's not actually that many important keys to overwrite. You really need comfortable access to diagonal movement but the rest ain't that big of a deal.

I'd just get the numpad in your situation, but I actively use the things for stuff other than gaming so *shrugs*

e: though if you're asking if it's possible to make a control scheme as comfortable as numpad for handling eight direction movement on your standard qwerty offset keyboard, then no, not in my experience. People say you can get used to other setups but it's never worked out, personally :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:08:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: December 04, 2020, 01:44:23 am »

I've got a question for you guys, as somebody who played a little Qud in the past and is looking to get back into it: whaddaya do if you ain't got numpad? My old laptop used to have one, but when I moved up to a newer one out of necessity, I ended up without. I could get an attachable usb numpad, but it seems like quite a length to go just to play traditional roguelikes. Are there any non-numpad control schemes that A) feel comfortable and B) don't overwrite important hotkeys?

There may be other solutions, but a friend of mine ran into exactly this problem when attempting to play Tales of Maj'Eyal, and solved it by creating an AutoHotKey script that allows you to move diagonally using only the arrow keys. It should be possible to use it for other roguelikes as well.

Here it is on GitHub if you want to try and play around with it: Tales of Ar'Okés

I haven't used it myself and can't vouch for it for Qud in particular, but it might be worth a shot.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: December 04, 2020, 04:27:53 am »

There may be other solutions, but a friend of mine ran into exactly this problem when attempting to play Tales of Maj'Eyal, and solved it by creating an AutoHotKey script that allows you to move diagonally using only the arrow keys. It should be possible to use it for other roguelikes as well.

Here it is on GitHub if you want to try and play around with it: Tales of Ar'Okés

I haven't used it myself and can't vouch for it for Qud in particular, but it might be worth a shot.
This is quite a novel solution, and if it works, probably the most comfortable one. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: July 12, 2021, 06:39:48 pm »

"You can no longer enter yourself if you are a piece of enclosing furniture such as an iron maiden, a regeneration tank, or a psionic sarcophagus."

Qud has some interesting situations you can get yourself into. I assume a large amount of them are due to body-swapping shenanigans, like when you could turn into a fish, and probably wouldn't ever find another land-based animal to swap with, so you'd never be able to leave the pond you were in. Or when you could turn into the giant cats that fell asleep every 10-ish rounds.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 08, 2022, 11:26:20 am »

Going to necro this:  who else is digging all the recent additions to Qud, from revamped early dungeons to two new late areas? Or the chill exploration mode where all the XP comes from seeing new sites and doing water rituals?

I’ve been playing around with the body-stealing exploit/feature and having a blast
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 08, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »

Going to necro this:  who else is digging all the recent additions to Qud, from revamped early dungeons to two new late areas? Or the chill exploration mode where all the XP comes from seeing new sites and doing water rituals?

I’ve been playing around with the body-stealing exploit/feature and having a blast

I haven't played in around a year, because they were going to do a big change, and then another and I never really got back to it.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250]