Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves happy after failed trade  (Read 344 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Elves happy after failed trade
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

I was trading with the elves with a large imbalance in their favour. However, I seemed to have let some biological material slip into my selection of goods. I attempted to trade, and they complain about a "poor, gentle creature"(probably a goblin) while their mood changes from normal to ecstatic. I don't think that this is expected behaviour. This is version v0.27.169.33e.

Tyrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves happy after failed trade
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

I've gotten that since 33b.  My guess is, the code for generating the trading emotion comes before the code for rejecting unethical goods.  It is a weird bug and one that had me stymied dealing with the elves before reading the forum some.

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Tyrion ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
<STRONG>I've gotten that since 33b.  My guess is, the code for generating the trading emotion comes before the code for rejecting unethical goods.  It is a weird bug and one that had me stymied dealing with the elves before reading the forum some.

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Tyrion ]</STRONG>

It's possible that the emotion code simply takes into account both what profit they'd get from it, AND any auto-reject items. Thus, if you give them a good enough offer, their morale could go higher even though they reject the trade as containing an unfit item. In theory you might be able to keep offering extremely good trades with one bad item to boost their mood so high that you'll be able to get a much better trade rate when you finally offer them a set of items that're all acceptable.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

I've seen this reported before, don't know if it's in the list. In the old thread it just made the elves happy when a trade was rejected.
On a side note, maybe they rejected the trade because of one of the items being bloodied?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

It's Bug 544.  I'll get to it at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!