Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59

Author Topic: How have you been dying recently?  (Read 157094 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: How have you been dying recently?
« Reply #825 on: September 30, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »

Playing as an average Orc (MW), and destroying a city by myself. I get to the castle, and I get on top of one of the towers, where I find a spearman. I start the fight by breaking his left arm, so I think "this will be easy"; however, it was just a VERY lucky shot: he goes on for a while parrying every single shot, while attempting to pierce my armor. Then, a single hit to the arm breaks a bone and I pass out. I then spend half an hour like this:

1) the spearman attacks randomly, but can't give any deadly blow, because of my almost-full armor. The only thing he can hit? The arms.
2) I wake up for a turn; I don't have any weapon, so I try to deliver a kick/bite, I miss and then I pass out again.
Repeat the above for a LONG time.

It took so long I actually became an Adequate biter, starting from 0 at the start of the fight. Then, obviously, 2 turns after I do this, he hits me in the head and I lose too many teeth, so... no more bites.
Then, he somehow manages to take out my eyes; at this point, I just attack blindly, missing all the times, while he keeps stabbing my steel armor, making no damage.
Then, finally, the blood loss kills me. I then go check the report of the battle: since the first time I passed out, 254 pages have passed.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:48 pm »

But seriously, why does a single broken finger cause you to pass out? I've lost 6 adventurers in a week due to broken fingers...

The tissue_template_default is at fault I believe? Not sure how much a high toughness/will power affects the bone pain number.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On dying: ambush by night wrestler killed my dwarf. It was very quick. No time to cry out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:45:33 pm by a smiling bearded cretin »

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »

After dissecting Suika Fortress and porting a few bits to the latest DF, the last two characters have been fairy archers, both of whom died via beheading; the first by a zombie fairy in a necromancer tower after I foolishly thought I was safe to pelt at them bellow from the skies (as well as forgetting that zombie fairies are a thing despite the fact that fae leave no corpses), and the second to a goblin axemaster after unsuccessfully attempting to kite her.

The third archer decided to stay away from necro towers or confining 1 Z level dungeons, and has so far managed to fell a giantess, a night fiend, a troll, various bandits, a troll soldier, and an ogre, highlighting the benefits of flight. As a peasant as well, no less.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 21, 2015, 08:30:32 pm »

You have drowned

Well, not everyone survives the murky pool  :P

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »

If you're playing as a peasant, save scumming is almost mandatory.

Personal experience.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:44 am »

>.>

"I feel like making a peasant girl who finds the set of artifact gear her dad left behind and decides to take on the world with it."

*reclaim fort -> force strangemood on the dorfs and get a suit of steel helm/mail shirt/gauntlets/greaves/pick/shield, plus masterwork boots*

*retire fort, start peasant girl there, go downstairs and grab the gear*

*head upstairs, use advfort to dig all the soil, all of it, took so damn long, wrestled a cat a bit until I got worn out/bruised up, but got my armor/shield/mining/fighter skills up enough that her training montage was complete*

*find out about various local beasts and bandits, sneak into a bandit camp, slay them all*
*sneak into a dragon cave, behead it with a single strike to the head*
*almost legendary miner now, for some reason after fast traveling most recently the game decided I was now a chief medical dwarf... the only surgery I've ever done involves the removal of heads... this is very confusing*
*find an elf retreat, slip in and spend a good while tossing elves out of trees, at one point I accidentally grabbed a prone elf next to me and after seeing I can't throw them I noticed I could grab the standing elf up and behind me and proceeded TO USE THAT ELF TO KNOCK TWO MORE OUT OF THE TREE... BAHAHAHAHA...*

*in the process one of them scratches me and MY NOSE CAME OFF... so I started removing ears, deciding these elves were clearly suffering from too much elfery, and later uh... I had no way to sanitize the wounds, which leaves only one method: cauterization*

So, after all this, after becoming Deler Bloodypick the Mechanical Finger of Smokes, 84 notable kills, I decided to flesh out another part of the map on my way back to the fortress to regale folks with stories of my journey.

*heads north through a narrow isthmus, skirts some mountains, drops out of fast travel to jump a river... right into some sludge*

*feverish*

"Bleh... well, still gotta get out of here."

*tries to jump the river, only makes it halfway*

You are drowning.
You flounder in the water.

*makes it just barely to the other side, and flops out on the bank*

You have suffocated.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2015, 07:00:28 am »

the game decided I was now a chief medical dwarf... the only surgery I've ever done involves the removal of heads...
Made me laugh.

My last adventurer found a gods nercomancy slab and decided not to read it but use it as a weapon. Being a powerful vampire i walked to a minotuars lair and giggled as he approached me with his pick in hand.. he started ripping teeth out, ruined my motor nerves with his pick and in fear for my life I dragged my arse put of his hole to fight in the tundra... well he killed me with a pickaxe to the head. And paid another visit with another adventurer. The slab was nowhere to befound and he had my iron greatsword in one hand and his copper pick in the other.. gulp I ran for it.
I just hope he cant read, looked in ledgends. Nothing about the slab has changed, maybe it despawned or its a pillow
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:00 am »

Pecked to death by a turkey hen.

I don't wanna talk about it.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:25 pm »

My dwarf necromancer swordmaster settled in my fortress as a farmer. He lived a happy life with many friends. One day, the undead began to walk (not sure if he was the cause of it), and soon my fortress was succumbing to the invasion. The fortress fell, and my dwarf necromancer, who doesn't sleep, eat, or drink, died ... from starvation, according to Legends viewer.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:03 pm »

Killed by the only hazard in the entired catacombs. There were no mummies, no undead rose up, just this one single trapped square. I'd been through this room many times hauling out treasure, but it was along the wall behind a row of pillars, and just once I walked along that route -- once is all it took.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 03, 2015, 10:21:35 pm »

Drowning, mostly. I keep forgetting that armor is really, REALLY heavy.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 03, 2015, 10:51:14 pm »

Drowning, mostly. I keep forgetting that armor is really, REALLY heavy.
Welcome to bay 12 and let the insanity seep into your pores, if you dont the osmosis will get you
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 04, 2015, 02:22:40 am »

Oh god, that was awful... new world, unretire a fort, force mood some artifact armor, do some catwrestling with an adventurer after picking it up, find out about some lairs and head for one, drop out of fast travel and step in some vile murk.

Make it three steps, fall over unconscious... lay there hoping maybe it will wear off, watch giant scorpions scooting around the fringes of your vision... still out cold... more scorpions scooting around... still laying there... BAM, one sees you and starts chewing on your head til you die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 04, 2015, 03:31:28 am »

Ahh the dreaded evil rains.
After learning the cave in from kisat dur my goblin was having a bundle of fun, then night came and.
you are surrounded by little shits so I tried my new moves on the cuties and just lile usual they break a finger bone and I pass out then die from my mind being blown. I like night creatures but I dislike gungfu babies.
I just genned a world without them. You may say its a weak move, i agree. But I also boosted vampire curses werebeast types more demons and night trolls hundreds of semimega and mega beast caves and a whopping 467ish titans, so Its quite fun.
So today I looked for a nice minecart car today and I enquired about seatbelts

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:10 pm »

I like night creatures but I dislike kungfu babies.
sigged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59