Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive  (Read 138252 times)

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

Ahoy,

I put in $20 for the Panda but never got a link or email to choose which animal.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »

Ahoy,

I put in $20 for the Panda but never got a link or email to choose which animal.

You will. Toady will send you an email - he needs some time to catch up with his emails, and he is probably out for christmas.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »

Ahoy,

You will. Toady will send you an email - he needs some time to catch up with his emails, and he is probably out for christmas.

Yeah, unfair as it may seem to all of us, ToadyOne Is Not Our Bitch... I'm waiting for my email too, so then I can profess my undying love for pandas, or wolverines, or hedgehogs, or maybe something else...

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2010, 11:59:09 pm »

Happily awaiting an email.

If this doesn't make its way to me, I'd like to nominate the Platypus. It'd be great if they were a massive threat to fisherdwarf as well, without of course, surpassing the carp's notoriety.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2010, 08:30:02 am »

If hedgehog wins, put in a Giant Hedgehog with [SPEED:500] and a penchant for stealing golden objects, especially rings.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:41 am »

I just cleared all of the donation email, so if anybody expecting a response doesn't receive something soon, that person should contact me.  I had an email or two bounce on errors (full inboxes, missing accounts, etc).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

and if we got a reply but not an ascii art?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:47 am »

and if we got a reply but not an ascii art?

ASCII art takes longer because one of the Adams brothers has to make it for you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2010, 06:46:07 pm »

Yeah, Zach is still working on those.  I have a bunch I'll be sending out over the next few days in my inbox, and he has many more to write.  I think because people are already sponsoring an animal, which opens the lines of communication, there are as many story requests as there were in April, so it'll take a bit of time to get it all finished up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 26, 2010, 07:07:41 pm »

take your timne with mine then ;) I am not upset if i am the last one on the list.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »

Thank you, Tarn. it was an epic story.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2010, 08:43:53 pm »

...it's a shame there aren't many (any?) recently extincted animals - Dwarf Fortress would be a great opportunity to bring them back to life once again. I'm talking about sea cows, thylacines, tarpans, aurochs, etc. Here's hoping for some extinct donation drive in the future.
It does bring up the question of what "should" be in DF. Distinctly real-world-localised animals (the kiwi, lemur, kangaroo, platypus, capybara, kea, cockatoo, etc, all of which are on the sponsor list) will be jarring enough.

Respectfully, I have to agree with Jiri Petru and disagree with Dante. Incorporating recently extinct animals would be cool. Also, unlike extreme fantasy creatures like unicorns, dragons, merpersons, and iron man (which are already in DF), recently extinct animals are entirely realistic and believable since we know they used to exist. Personally, I would find sea cows and aurochs less jarring than kangaroos and platypus. Though, I will admit that's because the latter seems fantastically different and I immediately associate them with only one location (Australia).

Consider, too, that the extinction of many species has been attributed to either human activity or climate change. Another words, many such species might still be alive today if it wasn't for the expansion of human hunting and habitation (humansplosion?) or if said species were not isolated to a pocket environment where they could not migrate in reaction to environmental changes. The worlds created in DF are not Earth, yet they seem Earth-like and embody the spirit of "untamed wilds". So I could easily see some 'extinct' species there.

Besides, we know a great deal about some recently extinct species because we have remains and, in some cases, detailed descriptions and studies. In fact, there have been some half-successful attempts to "breed back" a few extinct species. For instance, Heck Cattle were bred to have very similar size and traits to the Auroch and Heck Horses were bred to resemble the Tarpan.

Personally, I want to see the Auroch and Giant Deer introduced, among several others. (I'd also mention the Mammoth, but that's already included in Genesis Mod.) Their size would make them dangerous to fight and they'd provide a lot of meat, bone and leather. To that end, I think I will try to create my own mod.

PS: I also support the notion of expanding the animal variety in Cold and Freezing climes. It seems more variety is needed there.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »

I, for one, look forward to animal extinctions happening in game.

pineapple

• Bay Watcher
  • I shouldn't trust that bird...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

Consider, too, that the extinction of many species has been attributed to either human activity or climate change.

PS: I also support the notion of expanding the animal variety in Cold and Freezing climes. It seems more variety is needed there.

The Kakapo is nearly extinct (<150 in existance) because of humans introducing mammals to New Zealand.  They're outcompeted for food by rats and killed by stoats, cats, dogs, and people.

Freezing biomes need the Stellar's Sea Eagle.  As a trainable.

zeus3rd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:55 am »

How can you have a Marcupial section with the Opossum and not have added the Possum?

That's speciesism!  :o (gasp)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31