Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heated Floors  (Read 4921 times)

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Floors
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »

You have to keep the magma moving. If you are losing pumps the system will slowly loose magma too.

So, what, build an exit dump for the magma down to the sea so that it can keep flowing?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:47 am »

You have to keep the magma moving. If you are losing pumps the system will slowly loose magma too.

So, what, build an exit dump for the magma down to the sea so that it can keep flowing?

You could try filling the magma so that some squares have 6/7 and some have 7/7 magma, causing the very top 1/7 of magma to flow around randomly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:42:33 am »

Wouldn't flooding a cavern layer result in infinitely flowing magma since it would go off the edge of the map?
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 02:22:43 am »

Be careful about building anything directly underneath the lava pool.  I once had an entire fortress that was heated by magma, but then a cave-in punched through the magma duct's floor and flooded my entire basement.

A trick I've been thinking I'll use if I ever do it again is to put my cistern underneath it.  That way, any holes will automatically plug themselves with obsidian.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 08:03:50 am »

Mod goblin tissue so that it combusts at 10074 U, and lead them over the floor.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 11:22:57 am »

You could try filling the magma so that some squares have 6/7 and some have 7/7 magma, causing the very top 1/7 of magma to flow around randomly.

I did this in an attempt to keep a pool from freezing.  It didn't work out so well.  There were partial freezes all through the winter.  The freezing blocks created both a solid wall of ice in the pool, and an ice floor on the level above.  The walls were promptly melted, but not the ice floor.  When a bit in the center happened to freeze before the edges, this floor caved in, breaking through to the magma reservoir.  Fortunately, it was solid rock under that, so I just ended up with obsidian walls in my pool.

The cave ins wouldn't happen in a moat only a tile or two wide (or seeded with a pattern of walls which left no space for unsupported ice floors), but sooner or later you'd still end up with solid ice floors for invaders to cross on.  That is, unless it froze without creating ice floors on the level above - but then you wouldn't have to melt the moat water to keep invaders from crossing it in the first place.  What determines whether water will freeze with or without a floor on the level above, anyway?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

I don't get it you have already got the deadliest thing in the world near your moat and then you use it to warm up the water in the moat???
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »

I don't get it you have already got the deadliest thing in the world near your moat and then you use it to warm up the water in the moat???

Yes.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 02:14:15 pm »

Isn't round-about and ridiculous engineering supposed to be a dwarvenly trait?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »

You can't put carp in a magma moat.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

You can't put warm carp in a magma moat.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:47 pm »

Ironically, I just came across this dilemma myself (the magma one, not the carp one) - I made myself a perfectly acceptable water moat. But then I found that my whole map freezes for a small part of the winter, negating the whole point of the moat. So, I started to set up a magma-layer beneath it to keep it from freezing.

A little later I had a "dur" moment and realized I should just put the magma in the moat (the only problem being keeping it out of the river which goes straight through my fort, but I'm just going to use pumps to move it around it).

Now I'm having to grapple with the best way to set up a drain in the magma-moat, in case I want to collect remains that fall in. My current best idea is to set up pumps by the gate to pump the moat out... and onto the heads of anyone invading.

I love this game.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

In older versions magma just sitting still under ice was enough to keep it melted except at peculiar moments that were probably just glitchiness. In the 31s this has since changed and it seems to require magma to move into a particular tile to add its temperature to the equation- as such you get unavoidable points where a seasonal change sets the outdoor temperatures to some value without the magma's impact.

If I had a proper way to numerically check the temperature on a tile I could actually confirm that the out of doors was doing that but as it stands now I'd have to make rows of things with different melting points or such and I don't think any of those react fast enough.

But then again it isn't like it would have much impact on keeping a moat liquid. If you're lucky you can just make the moat one tile deeper or just not care that enemies can come right up to your raised drawbridges.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »

If you're lucky you can just make the moat one tile deeper or just not care that enemies can come right up to your raised drawbridges.

Or you can do even more engineering to let them walk up to your drawbridge, then pump magma under your moat to drop them in, and dump it out again to let the moat re-freeze.  Or that's what you should be able to do, if it weren't for the surface bizarrely staying frozen.  Damn you, extra floor level!
Pages: 1 [2]