Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age of wonders I or II?  (Read 1395 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of wonders I or II?
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:27:06 pm »

Currently I have the choice between getting Age of Wonders I or II on steam. I'm looking for gameplay quality, and I was wondering, which ones better?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of wonders I or II?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Go for III, Age of Wonders: ShadowMagic.

...I havent actually played the first 2, but love the 3rd.

All 3 are on steam or impulse.. and the 3rd has fan-made-updates and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:36:43 pm by Rift »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

Agreed. I've only played Shadow Magic but from what I hear each member of the series only improves on the last, so Shadow Magic is the way to go. Definitely do a search for the "unofficial" patch 1.4 too. It does a great job balancing things and it's actually endorsed by the developers so it's only unofficial because it was developed by community members.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:39:19 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »

Well, kinda.

There is still some reasons to go with AoW 1. Theres quite a lot of mods and the game plays a bit differently. Some of the mods really feel like an RPG quest, an effect that the folw-ups arent quite as good at imo and I am not quite sure why it feels that way. There are some game breaking exploits, but just dont do those and its an awesome game.

That all said, if you are only getting one of thee, I also recommend Shadow Magic Great game.
I got nothing

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »

SCRATCH that, it just started working
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:33:11 pm by x2yzh9 »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »

Note that Shadow Magic is pretty much a standalone expansion pack to AoW II. They included a brand new campaign, 3 extra races and probably a ton of other improvements. There's little reason to get AoW II nowadays, unless you've thoroughly exhausted Shadow Magic's campaign, mods and random level generator and are craving for another campaign.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »

which makes the $20 Steam bundle of all three games kinda silly. Skip AoW 2 altogether i think and just play all the mods if you need more campaigns to play.
I got nothing

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »

Didn't like Shadow Magic at all.

I would go for II, if I were you.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »

Didn't like Shadow Magic at all.

I would go for II, if I were you.
But ravenous bugs! And slavers!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

Where do I download unofficial patch 1.4? My google-fu is lacking, quite apparently.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »

This is..Terrible. I guess everyone has their own opinion about a game, but personally I think this game is shit-But that's just my opinion, I find some games shit that others find awesome-how-could-you-hate-this-game.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:59:19 pm »

This is..Terrible. I guess everyone has their own opinion about a game, but personally I think this game is shit-But that's just my opinion, I find some games shit that others find awesome-how-could-you-hate-this-game.

Dude...what....what!! O.o you just asked about the game asking which one to get blah blah blah and then you say it's shit????? O.o I'm so confused right now
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »

I enjoyed Shadow Magic as a creative release - I could easily start up the map editor with nothing in mind and have a cool, interesting world (In my mind, at least) with stuff happening in it once I finished.  Too bad I never went beyond fiddling with it, but you can easily do some pretty neat stuff with it.

Gameplay-wise, I thought it was okay, but it's certainly not everyone's piece of cheese, as you've discovered.  Personally I didn't like the campaign and just played random maps.  I loved being able to play as goblins, undead, halflings, everything...  But the AI wasn't as creative in its tactics as me.  I could easily take a bunch of Halfling Rogues and kill the AI's leader without too much hassle, since their cities are often under-defended or poorly planned.

AoW1 feels a lot more like Lord of the Rings, if that's what you're going for.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »

I could never stand the slower races. Goblins and halflings were just ugh for me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:06 am »

Good games (by a dutch developer, woohoo!) Personally I liked the way the lord was handled in the first one (you didnt HAVE to be a wizard) but I really missed a way to develop new towns like you're able in the second and the third installment.

I think... I liked the atmosphere of the first one the best though...
Pages: [1] 2