Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Age of wonders I or II?  (Read 1394 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of wonders I or II?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:23:22 am »

I and II didn't have that 'fun' feeling for me reminiscent of Master of Magic, personally. Shadow Magic actually did, making it the better choice by far. Well, up until my civilization leader died from a random wandering monster! :P

This is..Terrible. I guess everyone has their own opinion about a game, but personally I think this game is shit-But that's just my opinion, I find some games shit that others find awesome-how-could-you-hate-this-game.

If you don't like master of magic, you won't like Shadow Magic. You probably won't ever like AoW I or II, unless you're INSANE (In my humble opinion! :P) - but some people are. I know one person who likes Master of Orion III, of all things.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:27:44 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 04:16:56 pm »

Am I the only one that only really liked the first part of the series?  :-\

Couldn't really get into the world in II & Shadowmagic, even though the global spells were sweet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:19:34 pm by Hiiri »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 04:23:16 pm »

nope, I loved AoW 1. I liked the simpler world and interface. I like to think of it as a much better Battle for Wesnoth, or rather I wished Battle for Wesntoh was more like AoW 1
I got nothing

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »

First of all, AOW 1 and AOW 2 are basically the same game. AOW 2, if I remember correctly, added some maps and the ability to randomly generate, maybe some races?

AOW 1 plays more like a tactical game than a grand strategy. There is very little city building to do and very little empire management. On the other hand, you get to develop your hero to be totally bad ass which is a ton of fun. However, if he dies, it is bad news.

In Shadow Magic, your hero takes a much more passive role, lobbing spells at enemies within his domain (a set area around your avatar) or near your other heroes. It adds some really awesome features, like being able to create items, but heavily restrains the over-the-top combat abilities some of your guys can get eliminating some of the fun there.

SM also adds another layer of empire management, making you deal with populations and a host of different buildings for your cities.

Every one of the three stands up very well on its own, I do not think you’ll need to do any modding to get lots of fun out of it. I would say the first one has more interesting units but SM probably has better balance.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »

Well, scratch what I said earlier. After playing a bit it's fun, but only if you select the good scenarios.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »

I like the art style of AoW alot more then the other games, but AoW II and III just add alot of features and make the game more complex and fun. I wish they hadn't abandoned the art style of little unit sprites rather then the current huge ones, which makes them look sort of awkward in the field.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 [2]