Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 27899 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2015, 05:07:47 am »

It's been a long time, but I finally saw another DF dream:

The game was fully 3D, and I was playing it inside some kind of virtual reality set. However, while the graphics were absolutely lifelike, controlling what was going on around the mines was pretty much impossible with me having to move around physically. I was ready for some Fun though, so I didn't play too carefully anyway.

Eventually I started getting announcements about people getting interrupted by creatures, so apparently the miners had dug into a cavern. I hovered down the mineshaft while the multi-racial fort inhabitants ran up for safety, and at the bottom there was a massacre going on by muscular humanoids with shiny grey skin and flat, worm-like heads. The bottom of the stairs was dug all wrong and should have been impossible to use, but designating them to be fixed in the three-dimensional interface was too difficult for the moment.

I hovered back up and designated several barracks areas around the mineshaft, drafting most of the citizens to spar there so they'd be ready when the creatures come up. Eventually the worm-men came up... and they had plasma rifles! Fortunately they had very bad perception skills in the lit up areas, so a wrestler managed to wrest a rifle from one of the enemies. Unfortunately I woke up before I saw if he could use it.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2015, 08:48:12 pm »

Ah,the wonders of the Tetris Effect.

I had a dream once where I was defending a town from undead hordes using only Grand Master Misc Obj. User and a coffin filled with my companions corpses.

Yeah.......
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2015, 10:36:15 pm »

I cannot play standard ASCII because of this, I literally start thinking in ASCII and everything I try to picture in my head is translated into ASCII even things not related to dwarf fortress.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]