Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 27919 times)

Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 07:20:30 am »

I haven't had any truly remarkable dreams, but my girlfriend has caught me muttering about dwarves in my sleep multiple times. Apparently once I got out an entire sentence. I'm not a chronic sleep talker.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »

Somone plays SC2 and DF too much?

But really, do you think automation would be good in a society that can afford to asplode 5-man ships as thier main form of attack? Adorable little fuzzballs though.

They do make good WMDs. Earthling Cruiser nukes are pathetic compared to Glory Devices.

...We need a Star Controll mod. Something tells me the Shofixti would wipe out everyone in worldgen through numbers though.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 04:40:56 am »

In last nights dream there were some round, faceless creatures outside my fortress. I was going to send my military to kill them for practice, but Deanna Troy from StarTrek told me that she had made a telepathic contact with their diplomat. The creatures used their face tissue as a sensory organ, and without any understandable features they had failed to communicate their intelligence.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 08:12:41 am »

I once had a weird ascii dream. I was just being there. Motionless. I could see every single dwarf and object and anything else on the map at once. I could see every aspect of it at the same time. And then I realized...I WAS THE WORLD!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

Last night I dreamt that the new version was released. It was written with an entirely different engine, and it started with a tileset on straight to the map screen, with DWARF FORTRESS written in the left upper corner in blue.

The game itself was isometric, and I had apparently chosen a human civilization. The site had a walled city similiar to the ones seen in the dev page, but the ground under the city had deep crevices, making walking in it nearly impossible. Standing outside the gates were two merchants in white, and inside there were four peasants in cyan stranded between the crevices. I started building a bridge, which it turned out needed workers on both sides of the bridge, and woke up.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2011, 03:56:03 am »

Not a dream related to the game play, but I dreamt of the menu music of DF with me standing in the end of the world or something apocalyptic.

Nukarama

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: adorable stupidity]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 03:04:49 pm »

Last night I dreamt of passionate lovemaking with five kobolds, sensually caressing one with a tallow cookie...

15 meter long purple tentacles
I've read enough hentai to know where this is going.

OT: I dreamt I was being chased by night-creatures, they ripped my legs off and bludgeoned me to death with them. Twas a good dream.
And when the site infiltration feature is done, we can do that thing where two short people disguise themselves as one tall guy in a trenchcoat. Except the two people in question will be halves of the same person.
The perfect disguise.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »

I'm one of those lucid dreamers, and I have some of the strangest, detailed, disturbing dreams ever.
I once dreamed about a GIANT FUCKING EAGLE (like in DF) coming down and plucking three of the elves in a caravan coming to my hole in the wall fortress.
It dropped them from great heights. ._.

Then I had this dream about ToadyOne being in DF like it was a multiplayer game, him coming out of a cave like a FB and just raging hard on my dwarves.
That was a very funny dream. Lol. He made whips of lava out of pig tail rope and was just like C'MERE BITCHUMS :D

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:25 am »

well my humor has gotten significantly more sadistic.  And people think there's something wrong with me when i discuss the game and tell stories with my friends XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »

I'm one of those lucid dreamers, and I have some of the strangest, detailed, disturbing dreams ever.
I once dreamed about a GIANT FUCKING EAGLE (like in DF) coming down and plucking three of the elves in a caravan coming to my hole in the wall fortress.
It dropped them from great heights. ._.

Then I had this dream about ToadyOne being in DF like it was a multiplayer game, him coming out of a cave like a FB and just raging hard on my dwarves.
That was a very funny dream. Lol. He made whips of lava out of pig tail rope and was just like C'MERE BITCHUMS :D
Did you dream a toad or tarn? (LOL imagine the real Tarn with giant !!+pig tail whip+!!. 8))
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »

I don't think I've ever dreamed of Dwarf Fortress, but I rarely remember my dreams anyway.

Instead, DF has seeped into my pysche in other ways.  For instance, I was watching a cold case show of some sort where someone was murdered by a bat strike to the head.

The first thing I thought of was, "The murderer bashes the victim in the head with the -steel baseball bat-, fracturing the skull and jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain!  Victim was struck down!"

I felt a little odd for a while after that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:11 am »

Not exactly dwarf fortress, but I had a dream that I was being attacked by a bunch of undead camels. Or, horses...Something like that. I wish I remembered more, but after I woke up, I promptly went "NOPE" and watched some anime to forget about the whole thing.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »

I had a dream where two dwarves gave me a tour through their fortress. The 3d graphics, marble flooring, and gold furniture was nice, but what got me was the efficiency of the layout. Every workshop and stockpile was placed for optimum efficiency and they kept bragging about how it only took them five paces to get to bed or work. I still place two gold statues at the gates to my fortress as homage to that dream, hoping that someday I'll remember the layout.

The only thing I remember was that they had the carpenters shop next to the clothiers shop. Compete blasphemy!
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:59 am »

I often have strange first/third person ascii dreams.

Usually, It starts out like DF or adventure mode, then somehow it switches to first person, but everything is flat. After that, it usually just jumps all over the place and makes no sense whatsoever.

Those dreams are lots of fun, especially if they're vivid. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »

I dreamt that a FB was attacking my town and I was activated to go kill it.  I spent the next 5 minutes looking for my weapon and armour, then ate, then slept, then when I almost got the the fighting, it died with a big axe in it's head.  Doh.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11