Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 27911 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 02:10:13 pm »

Once I had a dream where a new version of DF came out.
The normal sidebar thing which shows you all the buttons for menus was replaced by a sci-fi minimap.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »

Last night I had a dream that I was a carpenterdwarf, and I was working 23 hour days making nothing but barrels. And yet, there still weren't enough. The nobles yelled at me because there weren't enough barrels to make booze. And instead of punishing the farmers who kept filling them up; I was sent to a jail that was suspended above a magma pool.

Then, while chained up on a 3x3 platform, I get harassed by the imps from Doom 3. They kept pummeling me with fireballs, but I wouldn't die because there was a quantum stockpile of +25 medkits on the corner of my prison platform.

Finally, I get released from my jail term; but on the way back to the fort, I get stuck in a repeater hall.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:07 am »

There's a bit in the Fantastic Mr Fox movie where Bean has a tantrum over losing to the foxes.

"Bean is throwing a tantrum! Bean has calmed down."

It's arisen in other instances too.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:53 am »

I once had a dream about cats falling down pits so deep they went splat.

And, DF has changed my personality ever so slightly. I find torture a bit meh-ish, than before I played and got hooked on DF.

Oh, and cats are expendable.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »

Dammit, I just had a DF dream for the second night in a row.
And this one was AWESOME.
I dreamed that I was playing and I discovered that once a Dorf becomes a Champion, he/she will start learning a secret skill based one what type of champion the Dorf is.

Marksdwarves will learn the "BeastMaster" skill. When entering combat, all wildlife on the map will temporarily become friendly and attempt to path to where the Marksdwarf is fighting and help out. Afterwards they will try and path back to where they were and once there revert back to neutral. Also, all war animals assigned to the Marksdwarf will have a high level stealth skill.

Spears and Pikes will learn the "Hoplite Formation" skill. When fighting, they will attempt to stand side-by-side with other spear/pikes, and then they will hold their ground and not run off after enemies. They will protect each other against ranged attacks by using the shield of not only the Dorf being attacked, but also the shield of those around him. When a enemy attempt to close to melee: it will act as if it stepped on a weapon trap armed with every spear in the formation.

Knifedwarfs will learn "Assassin" skill. It's basically a permanent stealth. Attacking won't reveal the Dorf, and if discovered, each attack will attempt to re-stealth.

Lashers learn "Disarm". Their attacks will always attempt to remove an enemies weapon and/or remove an attacking limb.

The next types will have a skill that activates only when a Dorf enters a martial trance and has multiple enemies around it.

Hammerdwarfs learn "Shock". It's a chain lighting attack that bounces around enemies dealing both impact and heat damage.

Macedwarfs learn "Impact". As soon as it enters a martial trance, the Dorf will smash the ground sending out a shock wave that stuns all nearby enemies.

A lastly, the one that made me chuckle the most: Sworddwarfs and AxeDwarfs learn "Berzerker". All attacks that sever a piece of a foe will cleave through and attack all foes around it. Also, I found this hilarious; the severed piece will move in an arc as if it was an aimed throw against another nearby enemy.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »

For the past three nights in a row, I've been having DF-based dreams.
Night one: I was being chased into my fortress (first-person, somehow) by dark dwarfs. Then my second dream (or you could consider it a part of that one) was just me playing Dwarf Fortress.
Night two: I dreamed my bed was an arena and I was wrestling kobolds. They were adorable.
Last night: I had a dream where I was playing a different mode of DF, all I remember of it was that you were a kobold and you had one jump to reach the end of the map. (It was a 2D sidescroller, with 8-bit actual graphics). Then my next dream was of my craftsdwarf (I actually remember that craftsdwarf was one that is in my current fortress, somehow. I remember him being blue, too. Too much DF?) had struck down a dragon that was attacking my fortress. With his bare hands. Then I exited and went back to play the kobold jump mode and saw it wasn't there. Then I realized it was a dream and I then dreamed I had got up to play DF for real to see if it was there. It was not. I woke up sad, wishing that mode was real.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the fact that I'm dreaming in ASCII is rather strange. The brain is quite a marvel, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:06:31 pm by Rinnix »

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 01:31:11 am »

I had a pretty horrible one once. Only tangentially related to DF, but still...

I was (from a real-life first person perspective) in my house, which happened to be a fortress about 17 z-levels high and 34 deep. Suddenly a Hydra appeared, and this being my real life house apart from its odd dimensions, there was no way to actually fight it, though I didn't really think that far ahead in the dream anyway. I knew somehow that it hunted by scent and hid in a pile of blankets in a corner in one of the rooms on the third z-level, hoping it would leave before it killed and ate me. It walked past the room entrance, and somehow I knew that it smelled something odd, but wasn't sure what to do about it and so left for the lower levels. I was kind of seeing half from my perspective (folds of blanket) and half from the hydra's when it was nearby, and when it wasn't I still somehow knew about where it was. It chased around various of my relatives and pets, presumably killing them though I wasn't paying attention at the time, and I ran up to the fourteenth floor, since it would be less likely to climb all that way up. It did anyway, noticed something strange again, and this time decided to investigate, it tore up the curtains, bit me, tearing through the skin of my left arm, and I woke up. Aside from the obvious, the weirdest thing about the whole scenario was that when I finally saw the Hydra, it wasn't really a giant dragon with eight heads. It didn't have a real shape that I could see, apart from an enormous mouth which took up my whole field of view, though I know that it did have the other heads and a tail and forelegs and hind legs somehow. I got the impression that if we were living in DF, everything would look kind of like that: less like what it is, and more like an abstract representation of what it is. Of course, this also handily explains how it could fit through the door despite being thirty feet tall.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

Honestly, dwarf fortress hasn't affected me at all.

Just ASCII everywhere... Wierd walls of red text narrating my life... My face suddenly flashing blue and brown signifying my desire for lunch.

Oh and the music, whenever someone's talking all I can hear is the DF music.

InSANiTY is A DiSH BEsT sErvED oRIGNAl

>Insane laughter here<

OH GAWD NO THE MUSIC!!!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »

I was the mayor of a dwarven fortress, and it was time to meet with the human diplomat. The corridors of the fortress were huge, roughly seven meters wide and high, with brown brick walls and smaller doorways splitting into separate rooms. On the way I caught a glimpse of Derpy Hooves in some wacky antics.

The human diplomat was a huge, bald man with a low flat head and muscles like a toad's legs. I thought there was no way this was a human, or whatever god it impersonated, but went along with the negotiations about building a training room. The training room was to contain poles with spinning spiked balls a la Dungeon Keeper 1, which is what I've always imagined danger rooms to be like. The negotiations were heating up, but Twilight Sparkle came to assist me until I woke up.

Incidentally I have been playing the ponymod lately.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:44 am »

I saw a dream that while playing, I found an underground chamber with golden walls, lots of green plants, and a yellow stone monolith in the center of it. It was so interesting I integrated it with my fortress, but every now and then, when dwarves walked through it I got a message "The Monolith judges Urist McDwarf!". I didn't see any consequences to it, until I somehow found out that each judgement made the dwarf 20% frailer. I was shocked, and wondered whether to seal the chamber completely or let only farmers and other safely indoors-working dwarves visit it.

I'm fairly sure this dream was caused by reading about the effects of cave spider bites on dwarves. I was throughoutly traumatized when I heard that bitten dwarves would never do anything but no-quality goods again.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 09:04:05 am »

nope
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:50:12 am by Reudh »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:24 am »

I've had a few ASCII dreams, but I never remember the cooler ones. The only DF dream I remember was specifically not in ASCII format, but was rather realistic. Urist McMagmamucker, a dwarf wearing artifact nethercap armor, spent his days cleaning and maintaining the magma canals of the fortress. The dream detailed the horrifying day when Urist went to bed with magma on his boots. The bed caught fire and he canceled sleeping to run around attempting to find help for his wife and children who wouldn't wake up despite the fire. He ran straight to the meeting hall where the whole of the fortress was partying - him being the only dwarf in the fortress with work ethic - where he promptly ran into the booze stockpile and blew everything up. I think he may have set the farms on fire, or the outside. I'm not quite sure, but I do remember a great deal of fire. Now that I think of it he must have still been ecstatic after all of that since he was wearing all those artifacts.

Also, I recently used a pickaxe while volunteering with habitat for humanity. Now the urge creeps into my mind to find a cliff face somewhere and dig out a throne, though I doubt my puny chin fuzz is beard enough to smooth it properly :(
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »

Obsession with optometry can be added to the list.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:03 am »

I've gone asking people whats the best way to kill somebody.
They commonly go for the mundane, "Stab the guy," or, "Shoot him."
When they ask what I think, I tell them any number of the ways I've killed somebody in Adventure Mode

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »

When they ask what I think, I tell them any number of the ways I've killed somebody in Adventure Mode

And that's just adventure mode. You've still got DF mode and modding to cover :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11