Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)  (Read 48176 times)

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2016, 04:00:31 pm »

So this game has been on my Steam wishlist for a long time...

What does this game have that's different from Rimworld? 
What does this game do better than Rimworld?

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2016, 04:23:24 pm »

I haven't played Rimworld, but from what I know of that game, I think our game does the graphics a lot better (I'm the artist ;).
We probably also focus more on 'crafting chains' and managing food and resources and not so much on base building. (There's no digging underground bases)
We also wanted to make the setting more 'Hard sci-fi' where Rimworld seems inspired by less hard sci-fi. Our game tries to be 'realistic'.
Also, we don't have the 'emergent story-telling', instead we focus more on managing and logistics, more like The Settlers in that regard.
Maybe we also have more focus on animals/plants than Rimworld does.
Our combat is very hands off/indirect- you'll see the people defend themselves and flee if needed, no need to do tactical placing, they can do that on their own as long as they have access to good weapons and are not too scattered - I think this is different than Rimworld.
There are probably a lot more differences!

By the way, did you get an email from Steam about the release? Just so I know if they've been sent out to everyone.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:25:16 pm by MoPed_UnclaimedWorld »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »

have yet to pick this up but it seems as though the game should go on the newly released list and i haven't seen it

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »

Good to know one of the many games I found before most other people (hipster vibes~) actually got all the way to the full release.  :P
Will check it out soon.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2016, 06:58:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, did you get an email from Steam about the release? Just so I know if they've been sent out to everyone.

Sure did.  That's actually what prompted me to check in here.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 05, 2016, 03:30:06 am »

What is required to repair/maintain buildings?  The info thing does not say what is needed, but it is definitely implying that I don't have the tools to do the repairs.  I know I have the manpower to actually repair everything at the same time...
Comes a point when you have a lot of buildings that need maintaining and game priority chooses to repair/maintain the same few buildings while the rest fall into ruin. 
I ragequit after all my clayhuts finally fell apart.  (Granted, I am not a huge fan of micro gameplay.)

On the new map, things slow down after awhile.... like after exploring the nest.  4x speed becomes laggy. And then grabbing +10 colonists all at once, 1x speed is now laggy.

It is massively annoying when the tooltip info box pop-ups right over the checkbox/place where you order more things to be done.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 05, 2016, 04:10:12 am »

What is required to repair/maintain buildings?  The info thing does not say what is needed, but it is definitely implying that I don't have the tools to do the repairs.  I know I have the manpower to actually repair everything at the same time...
Comes a point when you have a lot of buildings that need maintaining and game priority chooses to repair/maintain the same few buildings while the rest fall into ruin. 
I ragequit after all my clayhuts finally fell apart.  (Granted, I am not a huge fan of micro gameplay.)

You can see which tools are needed for the maintenance tasks by clicking on the Maintenance job type Button (a grey rectangular square) that appears in the Task Manager.  It is usually something simple as a knife, string/vine or a trowel in case of clay huts. 
These buttons appear for every task in the Task Manager, make sure to click them if there's a problem to find out more.

There's really no need for micro-management in the game, the MAIN THING in the game is about having the right things available (in this case tools) and balance the number of jobs/skills,materials/tools/time so that you can get things done in the right order while giving people time to eat and sleep.
Tools can be an extreme bottleneck, so keep an eye on those, just like in real life, if people need to share 1 knife, things will slow down a lot.

On the new map, things slow down after awhile.... like after exploring the nest.  4x speed becomes laggy. And then grabbing +10 colonists all at once, 1x speed is now laggy.
On some systems, the large maps can slow down. Make sure to save once in a while because this will refresh the game and it'll speed up again.

It is massively annoying when the tooltip info box pop-ups right over the checkbox/place where you order more things to be done.
Ok, noted.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 05, 2016, 07:30:06 pm »

I'm not seeing any tools listed.  You mean the arrow to show more details?  Its got a subcategory for tools, yea.  But it does not show anything under it. 

Also, apparently the dog doesn't have a health icon like a colonist would. 
Was watching the dog fight a whipjaw, waiting for the injury icon to show up before I send someone to help.  The whipjaw killed the dog.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2016, 04:48:47 am »

-No, I mean the button that says whatever process they are doing, in this case 'Repairing integrity'. See this image: http://unclaimedworld-game.com/wp-content/uploads/various%20images/repairIntegrityClayhut.jpg
For a clay hut, it tells you that you need a kind of string/rope  and also a digging tool for doing repair.

-We'll look at the health icon for the dog, see if it needs fixing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2016, 11:14:31 am »

-No, I mean the button that says whatever process they are doing, in this case 'Repairing integrity'. See this image: http://unclaimedworld-game.com/wp-content/uploads/various%20images/repairIntegrityClayhut.jpg
For a clay hut, it tells you that you need a kind of string/rope  and also a digging tool for doing repair.
Hmm... right, that was blank for the purple leaf housing.  Maybe when I get to making more advanced buildings this time around.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2016, 11:34:17 am »

Yes, the simple survival structures typically don't require tools for repairing, on the other hand, they need to be repaired more often.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »

Too bad there isn't a way to preemptively 'reinforce' the structures.  That'd use additional resources in order to stave off having to repair them for a longer while.  Which would be helpful for campfires and the like, cause I tend to use them so much that they break before they can be repaired. >.>'
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2016, 12:59:31 pm »

Heck wouldn't mind the option of using renovations to reinforce/maintain things, so that there would be overall less work.  By renovations, I mean using half or equivalent amount of resources. 

It'll also fix things when you get into the red/broken icon...

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2016, 11:42:48 am »

Here's a video where I play the newest map - Muckroot Mining Site. It's an open-ended map which is different from the previous in the way that you have an abundance of advanced weapons that you can buy so you can move into a territory infested with predators - in my game i stock up on sentry turrets and go searching for a mineral deposit:

https://youtu.be/vT1y6f5F_lc

@Viken  Structures that are being used constantly such as the campfire will still get repaired, the colonists move in and do a repair task in between cooking, at least that's how it was designed - if you see that this doesn't happen then yes, there might be a bug that we would like to fix.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]