Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AI observation games  (Read 864 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
AI observation games
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:47:39 am »

I'm curious about those games where you can set up AI driven robots/mechs/spaceships/whatever. Preferably ones that blow each other up. However I don't particularly want games that involve programming languages to get the AI to do anything. Though I am not interested in such programming based examples, others might, so feel free to bring up any that you feel are very good.

The closest games I have toward 'set them up, watch them knock each other down' are Battleships Forever and Gratuitous Space Battles. Both involve space ships, I want to vary my pallet a bit.

High customizabilty is the order of the day. Finally, please, no tower defense games because somehow I know that sort of thing will come up unless I say something.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AI observation games
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:51:02 am »

There was this game called BOTZ or ROBOTZ or something. It's been like 5 years ago since I last played it.

You had robots that learned from their mistakes. In the training room, the player could create a spawn and finish point, place a few walls and turrets and click Go!
The robots all walked lemming style and most of them would die to the turret fire. Eventually, they learned how to wait for the bullet to pass before moving on to the next wall. Pretty cool :)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:52:19 am »

the player could create a spawn and finish point, place a few walls and turrets and click Go!
The robots all walked lemming style and most of them would die to the turret fire. Eventually, they learned how to wait for the bullet to pass before moving on to the next wall. Pretty cool :)
>_>

Tower Defense?

Still, sounds at least a little more interesting.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:16:20 am »

the player could create a spawn and finish point, place a few walls and turrets and click Go!
>_>

Tower Defense?
Well, looks like it's from the other side of the battle.
I've not played it, but NERO might be what you're looking for.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:47:37 am »

YES it was NERO.

and no, it wasn't like tower defense at all :P You could set your own goals but basically, it was to train your bots to be able to defeat the other team in a team deathmatch/capture the flag or something.