Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Houses! (Kinda)  (Read 2054 times)

0Keske0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Houses! (Kinda)
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:32 am »

Long Story (Worth it):
During my adventures I noticed that lairs do not randomise items upon leaving the area.
This led to me asking the DF reddit: redd.it/eomn8 if they have ever tried to store items in them.

Well I decided to see just how well it works.
AND IT DOES!!!
Lairs (best ones are brides'/bridegrooms') make really nice houses/bases/storage locations.

Anything left in them (blood/bodies/items) stay inside and remain (as far as I know) until you move them.

Quoted from my post:
This is tested with a bridegroom's lair:

New Adventurer: Items Present and unmoved inside lair.

Random Fortress:(not on lair) exited then made a adventurer to check:

ADV died on the way to lair... remaking..
Items are still there!
"Give into starvation" (in lair)

New adventurer. Goes into lair... The last one is dead inside xD all his items sitting on the body.
Conclusion: Works very well!

Advice:

DO NOT KILL INSIDE!
Any blood or items will remain. Drag the monster out first!
Lairs are a safe zone, use it to sleep away from night creatures.
Store extra armor in them for new ADVs!

Making a fortress on a lair:
Items you put there (during ADV) stay inside!
Area becomes a fortress and non-randomisation effect is lost.*

*Im pretty sure... I had some nasty lag near the old fortress and couldn't fully test it

So there you have it. Lairs are now prime real estate! (Given that you clear out the monster)
I just wanted to let others know. I will check back on this often so let me know if you found anything else out!

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Houses! (Kinda)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:09:22 am »

I think you can also build a fort on top of lairs to and when you abandon the left overs won't scatter as much.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

0Keske0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:13:00 am »

I had left a crutch in the lair on a table and it remained there. But I left a few other things on the floor and they disappeared.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:24 am »

I do not like to say people "USE SEARCH" because I find it impolite, so I will just say that I agree.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70346.msg1710524#msg1710524

;)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:43 am »

Now all thats needed is mining(to some degree), so we can edit these lairs to our own tastes. :)

0Keske0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:03 am »

I do not like to say people "USE SEARCH" because I find it impolite, so I will just say that I agree.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70346.msg1710524#msg1710524

;)

Lovely. I had used the search and it said no results. Thanks for linking it! I was hoping someone had started a discussion so I could learn more about the idea =)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27:02 am »

if you don't mine a little hacking you can use tweak (given if you change the title from dwarf fortress to Dwarfort first) you can use the tile edit to 'dig' around the lair messing with 20 00 through 29 00, 24 00 being up down steps. the down side is that well you can't retire there using Tweak.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

0Keske0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:34 am »

Yikes. That other topic derailed into a OMG IMBA BOGEYMAN rant fast.
Thanks for the tip Rum. Ill look into that =)

I dont mind hacking if it is not game breaking.
Such as my plans to make craftable bone beds... Gotta do something with the giant dragon bones :x

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:15 am »

Yikes. That other topic derailed into a OMG IMBA BOGEYMAN rant fast.
Thanks for the tip Rum. Ill look into that =)

I dont mind hacking if it is not game breaking.
Such as my plans to make craftable bone beds... Gotta do something with the giant dragon bones :x
oh good news I just found out that if you retire your adventurer some where jump into fort mode plant a fort near by use Dfusion change site to change the fort site to a hamlet then abandon you can create a mini town. Though from testing there no way to reclaim this spot(reversing the effects) and all stuff you do in that fort will be wipe out the next time to walk in so be warn not to do anything crazy. Though every one should be there from miners, to leaders to the wounded dwarf that got attack by a rogue elephant cant seem to find pets though.

wait a minute the hamlet I just converted into a abandon fort allow me to play it!? I guess it must have swap over the other abandon fort/hamlet slot then. I'm so confused and curious some how the area is houseless and covered with friendly people.
"body swapping and YOU!"

0Keske0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51:25 am »

So far what I have noticed is changing the lair's site type means removing the ability to store items.
I spent around an hour making a REALLY nice house just to have it reject new objects.

It would be awesome to have a lair near a town though (or in). Closest I have gotten was a day away. Made for a nice launching point for wiping out the town once I got bored.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »

So far what I have noticed is changing the lair's site type means removing the ability to store items.
I spent around an hour making a REALLY nice house just to have it reject new objects.

It would be awesome to have a lair near a town though (or in). Closest I have gotten was a day away. Made for a nice launching point for wiping out the town once I got bored.

Yeah about that you can embark near a lair change it to hamlet then leave the game will save every one there as a resident which grants you access to retire/rest and sleep for a day. I pretty much class lairs as storage about now until daruis can find the special flag that sets sites for storing items.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

My latest adventurer had been doing this for a while now; there's a bare minimum of four hundred corpses in there by now with ten or fifteen of them being hydras and dragons. I've been saving the corpses of everything I run across: enemies, those slain by quest targets, and the various animals that my adventurer and his companions have slaughtered. Quite a bit of human, dwarf, elf, and goblin meat in there as well as fat.

I haven't gotten around to starting a fort there year though. I have done it on another lair before and it's extremely important that you immediately place food stockpiles everywhere in the lair as starting a fort removes the tag that keeps food from spoiling.