Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I just won the game. Period.  (Read 15766 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: I just won the game. Period.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 01:14:31 am »

Did I not just specify that I lost?  All dorfs died except my military commander.
And I was just WAITING for someone to say this.  Everyone always seems to doubt me.
Sorry, though, but it DID happen.

EDIT: not mad.  I just looked; I did NOT specify.  My apologies.

I know I'm being pretty harsh, but it just ticks me off when someone has the gall to have a thread proclaiming they just won the game and yet not have a single pic, then saying that something bad happened to ruin the achievement and now it's as if the whoooole thing never happened.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:05 am »

Bah, he's just thrilled that he dug a shaft and missed all the caverns and the lava sea.  If you want to go sour-puss, the topic is not that interesting, but I can understand why the author posted it, as one who always manages to hit cavern and have to mess with walling in before the forgotten beasts eat my dwarves.

As of now though the thread is about the kobold who pulled out the sword.  That's pretty funny.

For the OP, those kobold thieves have trap avoid, so they won't hit a trap even if they're visible.  This is something that should probably influence fortress design.  I think it makes most sense to have an entrance corridor rather than an entrance staircase, and that the first room the corridor runs into should be the main barracks, and there should be a dog chained there such that it's impossible to get further into the fort without going past the dog.

There was a thread a few months ago about how a central staircase is a huge security problem and I have to agree with this.  Unwelcome visitors can go a long distance very rapidly, fighting on multiple Z-levels is hard, you don't really want to be fighting in your dwarven reactor room or your dining room, and you'd prefer that your legendary armorsmith isn't the one who detects the intruder first.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 06:39:58 am »

Well, it just so happens I know a VERY fun game we can ALL lose together :D

THE GAME

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:19 am »

Bah, he's just thrilled that he dug a shaft and missed all the caverns and the lava sea.  If you want to go sour-puss, the topic is not that interesting, but I can understand why the author posted it, as one who always manages to hit cavern and have to mess with walling in before the forgotten beasts eat my dwarves.

As of now though the thread is about the kobold who pulled out the sword.  That's pretty funny.

For the OP, those kobold thieves have trap avoid, so they won't hit a trap even if they're visible.  This is something that should probably influence fortress design.  I think it makes most sense to have an entrance corridor rather than an entrance staircase, and that the first room the corridor runs into should be the main barracks, and there should be a dog chained there such that it's impossible to get further into the fort without going past the dog.

There was a thread a few months ago about how a central staircase is a huge security problem and I have to agree with this.  Unwelcome visitors can go a long distance very rapidly, fighting on multiple Z-levels is hard, you don't really want to be fighting in your dwarven reactor room or your dining room, and you'd prefer that your legendary armorsmith isn't the one who detects the intruder first.

I had epic fortress defenses already.  It was just my MAIN staircase.  But I did have a fort around it.  :l  That 'bold was just bloody lucky.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »

Well, f**k you you friggin thief.
you HAD to get past the traps and the friggen epic security because the military was sleeping and pick up that weapon, didn'tcha?
Goodbye that fortress.
Wow.
Solid Kobold: Fortress Eater.

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 01:10:47 am »

whats so scary about HFS? i mean come on its short for Happy Fun Stuff.   

right?

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 02:51:01 am »

The most difficult part of colonizing HFS is the FPS drop.

Seriously. Danger Room + Cotton Candy = Unkillable dorfs (aside from the godforsaken dust)

I've literally had a squad of 10 dorfs kill off a hundred or so clowns without even a wound. But the FPS drop....oh god. I've been meaning to set a cap of 40-50 dorfs and try it instead of the 250 dwarves from immigrants and babies, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 03:43:14 am »

There needs to be a story written about that Kobold. Did you happen to catch its name?
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »

whats so scary about HFS? i mean come on its short for Happy Fun Stuff.   

right?
You think that, for the true meaning of HFS, DIG URIST mcdonaldjord, DIG!!!! Then find the cotton candy, eat the cotten candy and have !!!FUN!!!, if you eat alot of Cotton Candy, you'll find HFS!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »

Hell is a lot stranger with duplicate raws. Upright Adamantine Dress? I... I guess I'll take it :I

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »

I just won the game. I have no pictures or logical account statements to prove it. I expect forum celebrations, possibly in the form of a textual parade.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »

I just won the game. I have no pictures or logical account statements to prove it. I expect forum celebrations, possibly in the form of a textual parade.

...............................!    <- Ant parade.  It is led by a flag-bearer ant.

!!...............................!!!    <- Flaming ant parade.  Take your pick.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:50 pm »

What was the Kobold's name?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »

I'm throwing my vote into the ring; give us the kobold's name.  I need to write a ballad about him.  Or her, even.

LordBistian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:14 am »

You won once a message shows up that you won.
Unfortunately, this message will show up after you played for infinite hours.
Also, be dwarfy, go to Adventure Mode, find the Kobolds Cave, let them cut your arms and legs off AND FIGHT BY FRICKEN BITING THEIR FACES OFF.
Steal the Candycane back and place it in your fort. Profit.
I THINK reembarking regenerates the Candycane.
I once had 3 Candycanes on top of each other.
Yes.
Each on the same square.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4