Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: D&D: 4e vs 3.5e  (Read 26983 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: D&D: 4e vs 3.5e
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »

I suppose my point was that D&D can be anything. It is just a set of rules to confront and overcome challenges made up by the DM. I agree that a lot of those rules are focused on combat challenges.

Off topic: A strange request, but someone here may know. Is there a pen and paper style sci-fi roleplaying game centered around running a colony or something similar? I'm talking largely noncombat type roleplay and character interaction in a science fiction setting running a colony on a distant planet.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »

I suppose my point was that D&D can be anything. It is just a set of rules to confront and overcome challenges made up by the DM. I agree that a lot of those rules are focused on combat challenges.

I suppose I understand your point about D&D being anything, but it is sort of like bringing a knife to a gun-fight, if you know what I mean.  Your current tool will technically "work" for a non-combat oriented campaign, but it's not going to be the most efficient tool you could be using.  People have a lot of preset expectations when you run a "Dungeons and Dragons" game, most of which revolve around combat in one form or another.  It's not really their fault, it's just that as soon as they open their PHB, it's filled with people...killing stuff.

Off topic: A strange request, but someone here may know. Is there a pen and paper style sci-fi roleplaying game centered around running a colony or something similar? I'm talking largely noncombat type roleplay and character interaction in a science fiction setting running a colony on a distant planet.

I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi RPGs, but I would recommend Mongoose Traveler.  This game has a huge amount of GM tools for creating a living breathing universe, right down to the atmosphere, biome, and temperature of your planets, to the blueprint schematics of your space-ship hull.  You can really get detailed with your environments, which would make planet colonization campaigns pretty cool.  I've been thinking about buying Traveler for a while.

I've also heard good things about Transhuman Space (GURPS), but I'm not a big fan of GURPS really.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »

I guess I've just been very fortunate then, as most of my D&D games (3.5 and 4e) have been story focused with combat only where appropriate.

And I will check those out, thank you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »

The only 4e game I've been in was one that crashed after two session, but I am currently in two separate D&D 3.5 campaigns that I find fun based on the story, rather than the combat. I'm also in a third one that's fun because the combat that occurs is always new and interesting, and the story's not half bad either.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi RPGs, but I would recommend Mongoose Traveler.  This game has a huge amount of GM tools for creating a living breathing universe, right down to the atmosphere, biome, and temperature of your planets, to the blueprint schematics of your space-ship hull.  You can really get detailed with your environments, which would make planet colonization campaigns pretty cool.  I've been thinking about buying Traveler for a while.

I've also heard good things about Transhuman Space (GURPS), but I'm not a big fan of GURPS really.
I looked into Traveler. It has wonderful tools on generating a sector of space and general details about a planet but nothing about actually running a colony. I wasn't too hopeful though, this is something I've been seeking for quite a while and its rather niche.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »

I think you want to look for a splatbook in the well-developed game system of your choice; this isn't something that would ever go into a main rulebook.  Specifically, look at something geared towards high-level players who want to expand their options I would think.

I'm curious now though.  What do you plan for your players to spend their time on, in this game?  (Serious and non-judging mechanical question.)  Like, what actions do you want the players themselves to be performing around the table, what plans and calculations do you want them to make?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »

I think you want to look for a splatbook in the well-developed game system of your choice; this isn't something that would ever go into a main rulebook.  Specifically, look at something geared towards high-level players who want to expand their options I would think.

I'm curious now though.  What do you plan for your players to spend their time on, in this game?  (Serious and non-judging mechanical question.)  Like, what actions do you want the players themselves to be performing around the table, what plans and calculations do you want them to make?
I have a wide range of play types in the group. Some like nonstop action, some like minute details and trade. Having a little research outpost or colony running as a backdrop with fully fleshed out rules and occasional trade opportunities would offer not only plot hooks and story options but a welcome (for some) departure from the normal story-centric roleplay. It also gives the PC's a home base which they can expand upon as they see fit. I don't think you should be epic level before you can have a place of your own. I don't care what system the rules are in, I am very good at adapting things to suit my needs. I just didn't want to invent the rules from scratch if it could be avoided.

As for what the players would be doing, that depends heavily on their characters and what type of colony/outpost it is but generally it would be things like mapping new sections of the planet, performing small experiments, working out trade deals with passing ships. Things that are done in the 'downtime' between action scenes or heavy roleplay. A small mining base would offer them a slow but steady income, or a research base could give me some excellent plot hooks.

Anyway enough derailing, if anyone knows of something like that please let me know via PM.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »

I looked into Traveler. It has wonderful tools on generating a sector of space and general details about a planet but nothing about actually running a colony. I wasn't too hopeful though, this is something I've been seeking for quite a while and its rather niche.

I'd give a gander at Mekton. It has some good tools for polticol stuff, and meant to run space operas. I recall it having tools for planets and colonies.

Fuzion I think has really good tools for creating planets and alien spieces. Though it doesn't have anything specially for managing a colony.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:34:36 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2010, 10:33:26 pm »

I'd give a gander in Mekton. It has some good tools for polticol stuff, and meant to space operas. I recall it having tools for planets and colonies.

Fuzion I think has really good tools for creating planets and alien spieces. Though it doesn't have anything specially for managing a colony.
Found those and started them downloading along with a few others, I'll give it a look tomorrow.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »

So anyone who hasn't yet watched this, I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiW56B79ZNI&playnext=1&list=PL3B02BD8AD0C58187&index=35

To be very educative. An actual play, on YouTube, 30 something videos. The writer cast of Robot Chicken playing 4E. Decent camera work too.

Then there's another with Larry Elmore, RA Salvatore and some other guy, same DM I think, and there's a last, ongoing one in the UK.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:59:59 am by Sergius »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2010, 12:59:40 am »

So anyone who hasn't yet watched this, I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiW56B79ZNI&playnext=1&list=PL3B02BD8AD0C58187&index=35

To be very educative. An actual play, on YouTube, 30 something videos. The writer cast of Robot Chicken playing 4E. Decent camera work too.

Then there's another with Larry Elmore and some other guys, same DM I think, and there's a last, ongoing one in the UK.
I caught a WotC podcast with the Penny Arcade folks playing 4e. It was neat, a two party group doing pretty well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]