Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please help!!  (Read 978 times)

NickyNick101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Please help!!
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »

Hello, My name is Nicholas and I have come here to ask for help. I am trying to create my own game using the Byond system but I'm no good at it. I am only 12 so i don't know much. I have been playing Byond for almost a year now and have tried to code, icon, and map. I am no good at neither. I have gotten' help from a few people to start me off on a good path but the further I get into coding the difficulty rises. So please if anyone can please help me code, icon, and map I will try my best to show my appreciation. Most people I know would want me to the pay them but my parents wont let me. My parents don't even want me creating a Byond game until I bring up my grades. But my dad said he don't care what i do concerning making a game as long as keep my grades high. I got straight B's and A's right now so I'm good. So please can someone help me? I need coders, iconners, and mappers.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »

I'm probably going to say this more nicely than anybody else will:

You aren't going to have much luck going to random internet forums and asking complete strangers to do volunteer work for you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:20:10 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NickyNick101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »

Ive been here before but i forgot my log in info. And I know I'm sounding like a fail but im really desperate right now. Ive been trying to figure how to code, icon, and map for my game but I just dont get it. I'm just asking for a little help thats all

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:22:27 pm »

Ive been here before but i forgot my log in info. And I know I'm sounding like a fail but im really desperate right now. Ive been trying to figure how to code, icon, and map for my game but I just dont get it. I'm just asking for a little help thats all

Keep trying.

As my beloved mentor says, "success or lack thereof is more indicative of character than talent."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NickyNick101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:28 pm »

I know the basics of coding but the advance stuff like making verbs and coding in icons. Oh and most importantly, mapping.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »

Additionally, 'icon' isn't a verb. Or a programming language, so far as I know.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:30:18 pm »

Additionally, 'icon' isn't a verb. Or a programming language, so far as I know.

I think he means "coding in icons" as in "inserting icons via code."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NickyNick101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:39 pm »

yeah thats what i mean vector

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:58:28 pm »

My troll-o-meter is showing high amounts of troll in this sector...

...either way, Nick, you shouldn't expect anyone to put much effort (as you can't do a lot of stuff) in a project that seemingly has no future and is made by a person of questionable reliability.  ???

NickyNick101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:02:00 am »

Ok i understand

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:14:58 am »

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  Start with game maker or rpg maker.  Something like that.  When I was 12 I was modding games, but I was nowhere near the point of making my own.  If you really want to learn programming (and I advise that you do) you should buy some books on a couple different programming languages.  Start reading and practicing simple scripts now, because it will take many years to become good at it.  If you start now and stick with it, then you could be doing quite well at 18, and at that point you could make any game you want.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:32:17 pm by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:40:27 am »

I also suggest getting to know people who are good at this sort of thing. There are game development chats/forums/websites, as well as those geared toward specific software.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

If you have specific questions or a problem to solve then of course then feel free to ask and people will help.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:52:54 am »

Try following this tutorial: http://www.angelfire.com/games4/byond/

If you want to know about a certain variable or function, try to find it here: http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/

And don't worry if your first game isn't briliant, you will get better over time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:56:15 am by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:15 am »

As one of the main developers of BS12 right now, I guess out of all the people here I'd be most qualified to comment on BYOND related stuff

Byond, for all its faults is a decent starting language if you want to get somewhere quickly

That being said, until you have something to bring to the table, nobody will ever help with your project (game design is NOT something to bring to the table)
Do not assume you know the basics of coding, verbs in BYOND are a simple concept that you will need to be able to grasp easily before you consider yourself a programmer.

At your age, I was messing around with C++, I got nowhere, but it started me learning on the right path
It took me quite a few years afterwards before I considered myself a decent programmer.

Basically, get to work on smaller stuff before you even attempt to start recruiting people for a project

Also, ACID, sadly I doubt this is trolling, this is the general state of the byond community.
Nicky just probebly spotted the Baystation12 server and came here thinking that we were a BYOND community.

And MrGimp, I'd call BYOND a decent starting langauge to learn basic concepts (Damnit I miss C# advanced OOP features though)

BYOND is simple enough, that with a fairly small amount of work you should be able to have something to show for it.
I'd continue to mess around with it, but note that you will not get anyone helping or contributing to any projects.