Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B12 WG ST: What would you like to read on the Internet?  (Read 521 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
B12 WG ST: What would you like to read on the Internet?
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:32:42 am »

Yeah,
What would you like to read on the Internet?1
A fiction writing community guide, hopefully

I'm not entirely sure that it is a good idea, so opinions on that are welcome

Recently I've become of opinion that there's no such thing as tl;dr. There is just either bad writing, or writing unsuited for the Internet (because the Internet is a very distractive medium) (nevermind that I've just realised that the latter includes tl;dr).

And so I visualised my ideal story thread - it consists of posts with length no greater than 500 words (subject to discussion), high action (not in the "action movie" sense but in the characters do something) and emotional content, and correct grammar. The emotional content seems more and more important to me, as emotions are what keeps us with things in real life, it's only natural that stories that evoke strong emotions in us would keep us wanting more.

So I decided to ask for your opinions on this matter and advice for fiction writers on the Internet. With your permission, I'd like to arrange what we come up with here into a guide and post it somewhere useful (coincidentally I'm in the mood for a complete Writers Guild overhaul).

-
1Even if it's forum games - what are the characteristic traits of your favourite ones?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: B12 WG ST: What would you like to read on the Internet?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

Well, here goes double post.

Writing slogans from old Super.

Fight tl;dr with the verb! For every two words you put your active non-modal verb closer to the beginning of the story, readership is guaranteed to improve by 10 20 30%!

Well, that came out as more of an ad... Order your verb today and receive a special discount!

-

One more.

Strike tl;dr with the name! Immersion has been proven to significanly increase after only a single sentence's reduction of space before the protagonist's introduction.