Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The mystery of the rotten hand -- solved!  (Read 2895 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
The mystery of the rotten hand -- solved!
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:50 pm »

A while back some goblins stormed the fortress and were eventually thwarted.  But not before they killed about 10 dwarves.  Some time later a hand is rotting in the common room.  I built a refuse pile, thinking it belonged to someone else.  Then I built a graveyard realizing it belonged to one of the dwarves.  I figured the dwarf it belonged to was ripped to pieces and thought nothing of it.  Until one day i finish setting up some soap production and I get a notice that someone can't reach area to clean themselves...

It was Urist McHandless.  I connected the dots and yeap, he lost his hand in the attack... wow... =)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of the rotten hand -- solved!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:03:21 am »

Two of my dwarves each lost a hand in a goblin attack, one glassmaker and the other a weaver. I didn't realize there was two of them until the glassmaker reached legendary.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:08:11 am »

Incidentally, the "Urist McFilthy cancels clean:  cannot reach area" or whatever message has nothing to do with a dwarf missing a hand.  It's a generic message you get anytime a dwarf wants to clean himself and there is soap in a stockpile.  It happens because dwarves are not yet smart enough to use soap to clean themselves.  Forbid all soap that isn't being stored in a hospital zone to stop this message.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:10:46 am »

I just love how dwarves will be perfectly happy to leave their rotting severed limbs in a pile outside somewhere, but they'll still put them in their coffin upon death.

"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard