Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: All I Want For Xmas is an HK416  (Read 69312 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: All I Want For Xmas is an HK416
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:19:37 pm »

Right, updates...

Wednesday before New Year's, we had a lovely little get-together with, essentially, a bunch of Catlady's friends (I'll call her Catlady instead of To-Be-Named, at least for now.  The sound of it goes fairly well with Hatman, and I can't think of any other particularly name-worthy quirks of hers aside from her love and devotion to their two cats, and the fact that she has just now received her order for a beanie shaped like a cat).

The party was interesting, at the very least.  I was introduced to a number of highly unique individuals, not the least of which being the two girls I was being matched up with.  While I cannot with full honesty say that either got my heartstrings vibrating in aching rhythm, they were both quite pleasant and interesting individuals I wouldn't mind be acquainted with.  I know, my shining compliments hold no bounds...

In any case, they were indeed quite nice, and the party was fun.  Much Inka Corn was consumed, and merriment flowed freely.  As everyone started filtering away, I was eventually left as the last man standing.  Wanting to fit in some time to chug water after my alcoholic imbibing, I stayed up for a while longer cleaning up the inevitable results of drunk people making strawberry daiquiris on the spot.

I woke up some time after going to bed to find Catlady also suffering from a spell of not-sleeping.  We sat up for a couple more hours jabbering about this and that, and we both got to know each other a little better than just "That friend/fiancee of Hatman's".  I took the opportunity to continue the hydrobased bodily toxin-flushing that is the one reason I've never had a hangover to my name.

A day of rest followed, with more cleanup and more Xbox.  About as much as could be expected of a "morning after".  Plans were discussed and mulled over as to what would happen in the New Year's/After New Year's region of time.

I'd originally thought about checking in with John Smith, but as it turns out he was somewhere completely different than where I thought he was, and would remain there for a while yet.  So, rather than jumping ship and getting out of everyone's hair before the ten-hour drive across Norway's snowy roads, it was decided that I'd just go along with them instead.

New Year's Eve itself was spent at the top of a great big'ol hill with a church shoved on top of it for good measure.  From this vantage point, we were able to look out over the city and experience a rather quite large number of fireworks, all going off from different places at different times, seemingly with no connection to the actual turn of midnight into 2011.

We were, in fact, able to experience the fireworks disturbingly well; due to the fact that we were standing in the midst of a crowd of revelers who'd brought their own whizzy bang-bangs and were setting them off with the usual degree of accuracy and forethought an alcohol percentage will give you.

January 1st presented the three of us with what essentially amounted to an acid test.  Stick three people in one car with lots of baggage for ten hours, and then see if they can still bear the thought of one another.

We passed, strangely enough.  Through audiobooks, music CDs, World's Best Buns and sheer strength of sarcastic wit we managed to pull through and make it to the front step of our destination:  The home of some proud parents, waiting for the godmother to arrive.   Plus two.

As it was bad enough pulling up last-minute at someone's home with a strange and foreign tagalong, the three of us decided that it would be better for everyone if I just hung out and played Xbox for a couple hours while the people who were actually invited could participate in the baptism ceremony.

For one thing, having some stranger show up at your baby girl's baptism is just a bit too taxing on personal relations...  For the other, I get a rather unsightly rash whenever I spend extended periods within the boundaries of sacred grounds.  It was just the natural solution to stick me in front of electronic entertainment for a while.

The after-baptism party was just as roaring and wild as you'd expect something of that sort to be.  I did get to speak with various persons of Swedish heritage, however.  Or, rather, they spoke to me and I acted like I had some clue as to what the bugger-all they were saying.  I think some old grandmother was asking me if I'd considered the possibility of finding and marrying a Swedish lass during my time in Scandinavia.

An odd event worth mentioning was when the pictures were being taken to commemorate the whole ordeal.  Having met her just the night before, the mother of the child instructed me to take part in one of the preserved images.  Apparently, in just the short time I had spent being anywhere near her, I had made quite a good impression on her (I only later found out just how good this impression was.  She sent a text message to Catlady when we were on the road, where she wondered if I was in fact homosexual.  Because, obviously, no man as good-looking, thoughtful and humorous as myself could possibly be straight).

After a successful baby-watering, we saddled up and hit the icy road yet again, this time for a shorter 4-hour stint up to Catlady's sweet little old grandmother.  Catlady's sweet little old grandmother, who had once given her the sage advice to wait for another taxi if there was a negro behind the wheel, and to stay well away from those entirely untrustworthy yellow people.

Yet another tottering old relic spouting nostalgia for a more uptight era, she was actually quite pleasant for being a batty old racist who was hard of hearing and would never admit it.  Catlady was treated to a staggering array of gifts and bestowals, including an antique footstool and a home-sewn gravy boat coaster in the shape of a crucifix.

I, meanwhile, made myself familiar with the dog.

After a night of making under-the-radar heretical banter, stifling hysterical giggles and then snoring, we packed up and shuffled off into the vehicular mode of transport yet again for the home stretch.  The audiobook was bitten into, the remarks and comments flew, and the gas station cuisine was sampled.

At one remarkably abandoned rest stop, we were left without access to official bathrooms.  Hatman and I took turns fulfilling our instinctual urge as men to urinate on things, and the local snowbank was targeted.

Hatman had apparently made a spontaneous decision to write his name in bright yellow letters, an honorable and ancient ritual of manliness.  Unfortunately, Hatman suffers from dyslexia.  He also suffered from a not-quite-full bladder.  The resulting scrawl was such a pitiable affair that I could not help myself but assist in completing his noble work of art.

I wound up having a wee bit more ink in my pen than I'd imagined, so an exclamation mark was added for good measure.  Come her turn, Catlady was entirely unimpressed.

Today was spent recovering from the massive amount of road hours taken.  I believe we all managed to do our part in this regard, but I was particularly efficient due to the fact that I was the only one who didn't need to go to work at some point during the day.

From the looks of things, I'll probably be staying here for a while longer before heading up to my granddad and getting ready for my Norwegian test.  There's a chance that another get-together will be arranged while I'm here, but alcohol will not be hugely prominent as everyone needs to be in some kind of shape for work around this time.

We'll see what I can come up with to scribble about.  One never knows what kind of mischief can occur when you're not doing much of anything...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:35 am »

Teensy bit busy as of just now, but I should be able to push out an update on the 16th, all depending on how the next few days work out.  With the recent hubbub over the state of the forums, I extend all apologies for making a(nother) thread exclusively about my life and experiences, and note that I will be making absolutely no plans for doing anything differently.

Cheers.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 05:15:01 am »

As it turns out, the Norwegian military actually has a few brains stockpiled in strategic locations, so they had the sense to use the same hair length/style restrictions for males as for females.  Which means I get to keep The Hair, so long as I keep it tidy and under control.  Hopefully, this isn't just some sneaky recruiting tactic and I will indeed be allowed to save the many years of work that went into growing this thing (it's exhausting to let hair grow naturally).

I overlooked this thread when you first started it, but this part really caught my attention.  I love the idea that there's an industrial-power military that lets men enter with and keep long hair, especially a magnificent golden mane like yours.  You'd think they'd all do it, since long hair is fucking dashing and everyone knows it, but nooo, this party pooper American military busts out of the straight razor on anyone with a penis.

Anyway, brofist Samson-buddy.  Good luck not freezing your nuts off.  See if you can find that glacier where they filmed Empire Strikes Back.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 05:53:02 am »

Pretty sure there will be hairnets involved. They might be a bit more laid back at samband (communications) than at the unit I was stationed though. Samband is just tramping around the hills in a BV206 APC and sorting cables. My extent of comms training was using the field radio kit. All I can remember is that it had to be assembled and disassembled in an extremely specific order, otherwise it would apparently EXPLODE.

See if you can find that glacier where they filmed Empire Strikes Back.

That's far more south than Kagus will be. The filming was at Finse, which is on the rail line between Bergen and Oslo.
Hoth.

EDIT: While I'm at it, this is where the military base you're going to is, Kagus. The place God forgot and the devil abandoned.
I'm very motivational, aren't I :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:02:31 am by olemars »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 06:25:08 am »

I'm connected on Facebook with the brother of one of the gals I went to Skiringssal with, and he's apparently going through his service period now too.  One of his military mates took a number of pictures, including a couple shots with long-haired gals.  From what I could see, they just had ponytails.

Of course, they were air force...  And we all know what those people are like.

You'd think they'd all do it, since long hair is fucking dashing and everyone knows it, but nooo, this party pooper American military busts out of the straight razor on anyone with a penis.

There's actually a Wikipedia article about long hair that mentions its handling in military organizations...  Apparently the cutting thing all started with some whacked-out ancient loony who believed his men would fight like women if they wore their hair the same way.

From a purely rationalist point of view, I can understand why you might want short hair in the military.  It does have a tendency to kind of get in the way...  But if they're going to let the gals keep their hair long throughout service, then they may as well extend the same rules to the menfolk.

Saw a weather forecast yesterday...  -20 degrees Celsius in Bardufoss (-4 Fahrenheit).  Joy...

Before all that, however, I need to take a lovely little test that I can put on my record...  More on that once I'm finished with the dreadful affair.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 12:53:08 pm »

Oh hey, you're only a little north of where I made my stay. Did you go through Harstad/Narvik? The customs people thought I was on drugs because I hadn't slept for two days after flying from the US. Then they proceeded to believe me, which I still think is very strange. Norwegians are strange beasts.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 01:15:40 pm »

I'm not actually there just yet, I'll be meeting up at Gardermoen on the nineteenth.  I assume they're going to do the testing (blood/urine/physical) there instead of flying everyone up to the northern reaches first, figuring out who stays and who isn't worth it, and then flying the rejects back.

Then again, this is a military organization we're talking about.

But no, I don't think I've ever been to Harstad.  I may have passed through Narvik at some point in my life, but I doubt it.  I'm probably just muddling things up.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »

They usually do the medical and stuff after you arrive at the base. If you've been told to report to Gardermoen there's a chance you'll get to ride in the back of a Hercules (C-130), but most likely it will be a boring passenger jet. They have absolutely no problem flying you up there and back again, multiple times if they have to.

The first day or two is mostly spent standing in line for medicals, vaccinations, filling out forms, getting forms approved, getting gear, getting new gear because the stuff was two sizes too small. At one point there will be a small interview while someone rifles through your personal belongings. The questions will progress roughly like "Where are you from?", "Got any hobbies?", "When did you last smoke pot?". One of the guys in my room answered "last friday" and had to hand in a cup of pee once a week.

The next week is spent learning the essentials on how to make your bed, wash the floor, wash the toilets, organize your locker and properly salute any graphical representation of the King.

Oh hey, you're only a little north of where I made my stay. Did you go through Harstad/Narvik? The customs people thought I was on drugs because I hadn't slept for two days after flying from the US. Then they proceeded to believe me, which I still think is very strange. Norwegians are strange beasts.

So... the world would have made more sense to you if they'd done a cavity search? If you flew in from the US they probably assumed your TSA had given you one already.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 02:33:38 pm »

I actually flew in from Chicago to Amsterdam (7 hour layaway, woo), then to Oslo (where we literally had to sprint from departure to our gate in order to reach our flight in time), and from Oslo to Evenes. I'm assuming they had my flight iternerary, though I was so out of it at the time they could have been cleaning people for all I know. This was before 9/11, so that probably helped, heh. But Amsterdam... I expected a drug dog at least. Those are cool. Considering how small the airport was, I wonder if they couldn't afford one or something.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:54 pm »

... I expected a drug dog at least. Those are cool. Considering how small the airport was, I wonder if they couldn't afford one or something.

It's Amsterdam, the dog was probably too high to do anything that day.

And yes, extreme layovers are always greatly amusing.  But I have to say, standing in line for 3 hours straight (ain't jokin' here pal) really did it for me...

... getting new gear because the stuff was two sizes too small.

This is most likely going to be a *very* entertaining portion for me, as I am the proud owner of a matching pair of Mutant Feet from Mars.  Ultra-wide in front, ultra-thin in back, and toes that can grasp a round doorhandle (this is actually a remarkably useful talent.  Note how I refrained from using the colloquialism "handy").  The boot issue is going to earn me many dear friends, I can feel it...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 04:40:14 pm »

How did I miss a Kagus travel thread? I hope that you make it through Scandinavian style basic well enough, best advice I can give is continual optimism. Also, do *not* sign for anything unless you've actually got it, and make life semi-tough on the standard issue people. Get a nice fitting pair of boots!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »

How did I miss a Kagus travel thread? I hope that you make it through Scandinavian style basic well enough, best advice I can give is continual optimism. Also, do *not* sign for anything unless you've actually got it, and make life semi-tough on the standard issue people. Get a nice fitting pair of boots!

Every time I read anything by anyone who was ever in any military ever, it's always 'Get nice boots.' Is this just a meme they throw out, or is it serious? I could see it going either way.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

Every time I read anything by anyone who was ever in any military ever, it's always 'Get nice boots.' Is this just a meme they throw out, or is it serious? I could see it going either way.

Can you think of any profession that involves more standing, walking, marching, running, and carrying heavy loads?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:22 pm »

When you're on your feet all day or marching a dozen miles in them, good boots are a really big deal.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »

I've brought along a vast cargo of Inka Corn this time around, so the corny goodness has been flowing freely.  Chances are, it should be quite popular with the various drunken partygoers.

That's stuff is awesome, I've been eating long before it was neatly packaged for export, and even long before I was of drinking age. We just call it "cancha" or "mote" though. I can't imagine what other peoples eat with their beers. I heard it's peanuts... can't be peanuts.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22