Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games with procedural content generation  (Read 3733 times)

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games with procedural content generation
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:46:10 am »

Hi,

apart form roguelikes/minecraft: Are there any other good games out there, which use procedural content generation be it dynamic campaigns / role playing games and other stuff?

Thx.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Games with procedural content generation
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:52:33 am »

DF.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:59:19 am »

All of the big budget games that I know of that have procedural shenanigans are pretty shit, Spore for example.

Of course there's RTS games that have generated maps but that's probably not what you're looking for.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:06:18 am »

Doesn't torchlight have randomly generated adventures? I've not played it yet but i'm planning on doing so today since I now own it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:02:56 am »

It's difficult to answer the OP when he says "roguelikes". I would say Diablo, but a lot of people say that's a Roguelike. It's hard because part of the definition of a Roguelike is procedural generation (as far as I know ... ).

But if we leave out ASCII games.

I'd say Diablo, a procedural randomized hack-n-slash. #1 has its charm but it desperately needs a run button. For that reason alone I would suggest Diablo 2. But #2 adds enough cool stuff that it's worth playing. If you plan on playing both, definitely play 1 first, otherwise you may never get through it for frustration at the slow pace.

Spelunky is a procedural randomized platformer, sort of an Indiana Jones game. It's also free. You will probably die several times in a row, often, so just sit back and try to learn something from each death. Even if that something is "I should maybe slow down a little" or "I got a bit cocky that time". It's fun.

I've heard that Noctis is a fun single-player space exploration sim. The content is procedural, but not random. That is, if you visit a given star and explore the first planet, another offline player will see the same things if he also explores that planet. The software is around 1mb, but the galaxy you can explore has about 78 billion stars. I think that's pretty outstanding, but I haven't played it yet.

Dark Cloud and DC2 are for PS2 I think. They're third-person RPGs with invention/crafting/townbuilding. Pretty fun.

There was an old old game (you will need DOSBOX) called Dungeon Hack that was sort of like Eye of the Beholder but procedurally and randomly generated the dungeon. You get one character instead of 4 plus 2 NPCs.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 08:05:38 am »

Daggerfall has awesome generated dungeons. They are not really procedurally generated, they are in fact built up out of "blocks", but they are one of the most (if not the most) awesome dungeons I've ever seen. They are huge, complex, consist of dangerous monsters, labyrinths and traps. I definitely suggest to try it.

Another great game is Space Rangers/Space Rangers II. They have pretty much everything generated randomly (starting from the galaxy map, trading goods' placement, quest distribution and enemy positions and ending with randomly generated other "heroes"). This game is great because it is totally influenced by random events and actions by the player. You can actually just sit back and look at the systems being captured/recaptured and heroes being killed/new heroes being enlisted. It's not recommended on the high difficulty though (the only way I play; in the beginning you feel like a rat in a cage surrounded by cats and it's Fun). Also the fact that you are not a "chosen one" but one of many (which usually fare better than you for a long part of the game) is cool too.

There's that roguelike zombie game called Rogue Survivor, you ought to try that. It's turn-based but it has a lot of features for a roguelike, so I suggest to play it even if the initial question was about non-roguelikes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 08:08:18 am »

I can vouch for Rogue Survivor. I love it.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:04 am »

And I can vouch for Spelunky, too bad the PC won't be getting an improved/paid version...

Just don't be like me and think you can talk to the shopkeeper or something, you WILL whip him and he WILL pull out a shotgun.

EDIT: And be frikking careful throwing things around too!  Jesus buying things is difficult!

You know, I don't know why I decided to say anything before playing for at least an hour.  You WILL die the first time every single thing happens, but the good news is you will probably have a good laugh the first time you say, throw an arrow at a wall and kill yourself when it flies back and stabs you, and there are a million things like that which WILL happen.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:46:39 am by Kitsunin »

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:40:36 am »

Daggerfall has awesome generated dungeons. They are not really procedurally generated, they are in fact built up out of "blocks", but they are one of the most (if not the most) awesome dungeons I've ever seen. They are huge, complex, consist of dangerous monsters, labyrinths and traps. I definitely suggest to try it.

There's that roguelike zombie game called Rogue Survivor, you ought to try that. It's turn-based but it has a lot of features for a roguelike, so I suggest to play it even if the initial question was about non-roguelikes.

Yes, Rogue Survivor seems to be cool^^and I try out Daggerfall!
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:49 am »

Transcendence has a fair share of procedural/random generation too, and despite it has a few rogue elements, in fact the gameplay is much more similar to the real time Escape Velocity or NAEV.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:56:43 am »

Daggerfalls freeware right? I think Bethsada released it a long time ago... Or whoever made it.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

Sid Meiyer's earlier games (Covert Action and Sword of the Samurai) did some limited random generation for the building interiors, I think.

The first two X-Coms generated their tactical combat areas using pre-set pieces (entire buildings, ufos, etc.).

Mount & Blade sometimes generated its battlefields, other times it used some pre-set battlefield (for sieges, for example).

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 10:32:16 am »

Eufloria uses procedural generation for a great deal of it's content.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 10:50:48 am »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:09:10 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 10:57:11 am »

Daggerfalls freeware right? I think Bethsada released it a long time ago... Or whoever made it.
Yes.
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/
They took down the bethesda download page though, so you have to scout various sites which offer freeware/abandonware games for download.

P.S. With proper amount of patches, configuration and DOSBOX tweaking it's quite playable even on windows 7 (and you can play it like a WASD shooter; back then when I had it on my old PC I thought you have to click to move :))).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3