Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback Please! An LCS Let's Play  (Read 3567 times)

Arachnion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Feedback Please! An LCS Let's Play
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:37 pm »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of making an LCS Let's Play for a forum I frequent.

So, before I get a final version all posted up there and running, I figured I'd ask for input over here!

Pre-update Info:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First Post:

These are our starting game options, and will determine much of the difficulty of the game. The CCS is the Conservative Crime Squad, a sort of EVIL REDNECK TWIN to our heroic liberals. Classic mode would make my life much, much easier, but I'm a man who lives a life of danger.

Not doing the We Didn't Start The Fire mode. I'm not crazy, after all.

First up, we have to generate our hero. The only really important part is the last option, which will allow me to carefully craft our Fearless Leader's background for the maximum possible benefit.

Portrait Of A leader: Silvia Zakharov's Traumatic Childhood

Finishing up the questions triggers the game proper, and the story block.

And here's our main game menu! For now I'm just going to check up on the status of the liberal agenda.

'kay, conservatives ruling both houses of congress...I can deal with that. After all, how bad could it be?

Note to self: Never ask that question again.

We've got a lot of work to do.

First off, time to check up on the status of our liberals.

The only *really* important things in this window right now are Silvia's Heart, Wisdom, Charisma, and Juice scores. Heart is a measure of how Liberal you are, while Wisdom is a measure of how Conservative you are. If your wisdom becomes greater than your Heart, you TURN INTO A CONSERVATIVE, so we'll be trying to keep that as loooow as we can. Fortunately, it is quite difficult to raise your Wisdom.

Charisma is your standard social interaction stat. Silvia here has 17 charisma, which basically means she is a sex god. 20's the maximum, but even here at 17 she can make government agents sent to kill her become her eternal love slaves by dropping a bad pick-up line.

Juice is probably the most important stat in the game. It's a measure of a given liberal's cojones, and increasing it will improve all of their stats. Juice is gained through ballsy liberal action, like cutting conservatives apart with your sword, or leading protest rallies. Juice can also be decreased through various wimpy/conservative actions, like prostitution (A true liberal is nobody's bitch!).

That one romantic interest is the lawyer mentioned in her history, and HOLY SHIT HE IS AWESOME

I mean seriously, how many lawyers do you know who carry around revolvers all the time, are trained in the use of claymores, and have covert operations skills?

Still, if I'm gonna start a revolution, I'll need some help. And complete immunity from the legal code. And if I want that...

I'll have to go to the courthouse HALLS OF ULTIMATE JUDGEMENT.

Silvia: The conservatives are strong here...I can smell it.

The courthouse is pretty interesting; you can use it to intervene in trials in progress, steal stuff, and generally screw up the legal system. Today, however, Silvia is looking for something very different.

LOVE.

Fun fact: Pick-up lines are change based on how conservative or liberal your society is.

Leroy: Hey, why haven't you proposed to me?
Silvia:*shrug*

The best approach for what I have in mind is to date as many judges as you can at once. This can lead to some confusing screens:

This is the whole dating interface. If you're me, you will only pick options B or C. Ever.

Dating can lead to some very good things...

...but is not without it's risks.

Silvia: Suddenly, the Alien and Sedition Acts don't seem all that bad!

-5 Juice

Judge1: Get thee to a nunnery!
Judge2: Trollop!
Judge3: Just...just GTFO.
Silvia: *Sob*

After a month of intense dating, we get the monthly financial report!

Not shown: Silvia getting kicked out of her apartment for refusing to work for a living and going on week-long vacations.

Still, there was some productive results of the dating; now Silvia has four judges and a Leroy in love with her!

Judge Stats:

Now, why did I go to such lengths to get sleeper judges? The answer, my friend, lies in the american legal justice system.

You see, people are represented in court by a lawyer. They can either choose to use a court-appointed lawyer (who sucks), defend themselves (and probably fail), or hire an Ace Attorney to defend them. The Ace Attorney is extremely expensive at a price of 5,000 dollars, but can get a not guilty verdict from all but the most extreme of cases. Unfortunately, there's a chance that hiring him will bring his bastard rival from hell to prosecute you, and then you are totally screwed.

Having a sleeper lawyer (Like Leroy) means you can hire them for a mere 100 dollars to represent your character. Leroy's not as good as the Ace Attorney, not by a long shot-but he doesn't attract Manfred Von Karma, and he gets better at cases as you have him defend you.

The judges are sleepers because all cities have exactly four judges. Since these judges are sleeper agents for the cause of Libeeralism, any time an LCS member goes to trial they will severely stack the deck in their favor. Dismissing evidence, overturning the prosecution's evidence, holding the prosecutor in contempt of court...if you're in court, having a judge on your side is one of the best things you can hope for.

Unfortunately, most cases in an Arch-conservative society don't even go to court, instead being settled on the street when the Death Squad officer puts a bullet in between your eyes.

Sleepers alone won't win the fight, so once Silvia gets some free time it's down to the crackhouse for a recruitment drive!

The crackhouse is an important location for us; crimes committed there will not attract police or be reported in the newspaper (and thereby activate the CCS). People who can be encountered at the Crackhouse are Prostitutes, Gang Members, Crackheads Teenagers, Highschool Dropouts, Mutants, and occasionally a Socialite.

The thing is that most of those are already liberals, and so can be easily recruited using persuasion (instead of seduction).

Silvia: What kind of prostitute uses the word "Gadzooks?"

This is the political recruitment screen. Naturally, you'll have a better chance with people who are already liberals or moderates (Green and White names, respectively). This kind of recruitment runs off of the Persuasion skill and Charisma, and can also be used to get you sleeper agents.

The initial reaction of the person you are talking with ranges from "____ is somewhat skeptical" to "_____ is ready to fight for the Liberal Cause". Depending upon your skill and the option you choose, the potential recruit could decide to just meet again the next day, join the LCS as a full member, or decide you're crazy and leave. It's best to talk to them until they are determined or ready to fight, then invite them to join.

All of my successful recruiting was done with mutants. These are their stats:

Mutants are notable for always being liberal, and only existing while Nuclear Power is set to Arch-Conservative. They tend to have fairly bad stats, but are easy to recruit, and some of them have completely awesome stats. Axel and Alfred here have pretty good ones, and Lily....doesn't.

Now that we've got some other liberals to help Silvia out, though, I'm ready to TAKE ON THE WORLD, and invite some audience participation!

If you want, you can "Claim" any Liberal other than Leroy or Silvia as your own, and tell me what to change their code name to and what their personality should be like. For the mutants, you can also tell me what sort of role you want me to focus them on-Alfred, for instance, could focus on gathering funds through his computer skill, and Axel could undergo the intense training needed to master the Katana. One Liberal per person, and they'll be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. If you *really* want, you can try to request a liberal of a certain profession for the group to gain, but I make no promises about their availability.

Assorted Things[spoiler]
The Questions, and their impact on stats
A List Of Professions-useful if you want to be a specific one
Developer's Walkthrough
We Didn't Start The Fire[spoiler]

Again, this LP is not really meant for this forum-I just wanted to get some feedback here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Please! An LCS Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:59:04 pm »

A few things:
You might want to briefly mention what is the "We didn't start the fire" option does, and why you didn't chose it.  Otherwise it just sounds like an annoying injoke that is likely to irritate non-players.

Your Conservative Judge has a point in leadership.  That gets the sleeper a single recruit, provided they are not brainwashed.  He should be set to recruit, so you get more sleepers in the courthouse.

Stats aren't everything.  Especially since the LCS version 4 series, skills count for a lot.  That's why you could only successfully recruit mutants.  Set your founder to ask for donations, so they can get more persuasion experience and recruit "better" professions.  Like agents.

Never ask someone to join until they're "ready to join the LCS".  They won't join at anything less than the maximum, best as I can tell.

Oh, and the "four judges" benefit is slightly confusing to someone who does not know the mechanics.

Otherwise, it's a good LP!

Arachnion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »

mkay, the general writing was what I was worried most about. Though those are plenty of things I will make sure to include in later updates.

I thought I explained the Four Judges benefit well, though.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

I'd also like to add that enabling classic mode actually makes the game *harder*, due to the CCS's tendency to help you by going on rampages 80% of the time.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:08 am »

I'd also like to add that enabling classic mode actually makes the game *harder*, due to the CCS's tendency to help you by going on rampages 80% of the time.

Yeah, but that was fixed in the later (beta) versions.  As of Mr. Fox's LCS 4.02 Beta, that was fixed.  CCS now only rampages 1/10 of the time.

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

Oh, and the "four judges" benefit is slightly confusing to someone who does not know the mechanics.

In fact, that benefit hasn't existed for a while. These days sleeper judges use their infiltration value as their probability to preside on a case, and similarly sleeper lawyers use their infiltration as their probability to be available to defend on a case (with the exception that loveslave lawyers are always available to their master). The probabilities are independent so you can't get up to 100% just by adding judges, but you might be able to get a judge to 100% infiltration after a while (a sleeper that's lying low gains 1% infiltration per month), and if you've got a lot of sleeper hangin' judges it's very unlikely you won't get a sleeper anyway.

So, um, yeah. Game mechanics, they sure are fun! As for the writing, yeah, standard LP deal, informative and pleasant to read :).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:14:14 am »

if (I.rememberCorrectly()) {

Actually, based on something I read a while ago, the whole rampage thing was a confusing bug/feature of newspapers. The news decided whether to call it a raid or a rampage based on which agenda (L or C) was advanced. This means that rampages actually used to be successful CCS raids.

}

Nevertheless, CCS sucked.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:42:52 am »

I enjoyed it and would read more. :)

It was informative and interesting. I want to see what happens next!

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »

mkay, the general writing was what I was worried most about.

Why were you worried about that? Such silliness. Sure, you called Liberal Crime Squad a "rougelike" as opposed to a "roguelike," and you managed to showcase one of the, as you called it, "quite difficult" ways of increasing your Wisdom. Also, let's remember the state of society in which you're playing; these character should have skill with guns and with fighting since the Arch-Conservative Menace is nasty and brutish. In spite of those points, you managed, through the power of SCREENSHOTS, to showcase the silly business of striving to achieve Elite Liberal Justice while rebelling against the Corporate Menace.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:12:48 pm »

Hemerocallis i.e. Lilly will sell . . . services until cashflow turns positive.