Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Former miners don't drop their picks.  (Read 415 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Former miners don't drop their picks.
« on: November 04, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

When I turn off the mining job for a dwarf, they no longer drop their pick.  I haven't checked to see if this happens for woodcutters and axes as well.  Is there a way to force them to drop it that I'm not aware of?  I wanted to switch the mining job to a different dwarf but I didn't have another pick available.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Former miners don't drop their picks.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Was he in the process of doing any mining related jobs?  I've had no problems with my miners dropping their picks when I tell them to stop mining.  They just don't stop mining until they finish what they're doing.  It might just take a while if they're mining a big section.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

The former miner was in the middle of bookkeeping when I disabled the mining profession.  I waited for nearly a month in-game but he never dropped the pick, even when he was standing around with No Job.

Lactose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

Go into the miners inventory and forbid the item.  He'll eventually drop it once his task is complete.  Then claim the item and a new miner can pick it up.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

Would drafting him and setting his weapon to something else (like swords) make him drop it?
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

did you actually make another dwarf have mining enabled.. whilst disabling the one that you didn't want?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 08:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>Would drafting him and setting his weapon to something else (like swords) make him drop it?</STRONG>

This should do it.  In fact, you don't even have to draft him to get him to drop his pick.  You can simply assign him a weapon in the military screen and he'll drop the mining skill (and his pick) automatically without any need for drafting.  The same goes for axes.