Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: An LCS newbie has some questions  (Read 8210 times)

Blighted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
An LCS newbie has some questions
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:19:01 am »

Hello fellow liberals,

I have just started playing LCS and I am very impressed!

I have got used to the interface, but I have a couple of points I would like clearing up please  :)

- Is there any way I can see how much rent I am (will be) paying?
   - related to this, can I cancel a rental agreement and take out a different one?

- In my team, Mr Muscle has become quite adept at killing conservatives. He has the ability to take on some followers. The only downside is that he can never get any dates (even from liberals) as he has no persuasion. What can I do to raise this?

- Another of my team has some good statistics, but security isn't one of them. I take her to one of the appartment blocks to practice on picking some locks and at the end of it, she still does not have any security skills. How do I proceed?

- I am a little vague as to which liberal activities I need to pursue to affect which public opinion. Are there any (legitimate) crib sheets to help with this?

Many thanks everyone.

Blighted

PS I am over 50! Does that qualify me for an award :)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: An LCS newbie has some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:40 pm »

Hi and welcome to the world of LCS!

* In the monthly budget report you will see your rent in addition to other expenses
* Persuasion can be raised easily by taking college courses (in the activate liberals menu) and seduction by prostituting
* I'm not sure about how skills work in the latest release, but I think nowadays it's very difficult training security from scratch. Have another liberal teach it is the only way, as far as I know
* The LCS wiki is somewhat outdated, but most of the stuff is quite logical. The stuff from activate liberals-menu will have wide-ranging effects (to the point where I actually beat the game using only a single graffiti painter), while raiding sites will target specific issues. Target factories for industry and pollution issues, corporations for wages, courthouse for liberal justice, women's rights and many other social issues, etc...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:46:21 pm »

You can't cancel your rent. Canceling rent is a commonly requested feature, for good reason.

In addition to college courses, you can train persuasion with money flowing the other direction by soliciting donations or selling brownies. If you grab the update Janus posted here and replace your .exe (save should be compatible), you should be able to at least get meetings with some low-level characters without any Persuasion.

For security, you will probably need to recruit someone who already has the skill.

Blighted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »

Hello fellow liberals,

Many thanks for the quick responses :)

I will try out the things you have suggested.

Unfortunately, I have to start the campaign again. The police were arresting my legal fund raisers (as they were all wanted) and so I decided to turn in my leader to clear his good name. So, I wandered down the police station and picked a few locks, broke down some doors until I got noticed. That's when my inferior command of the game interface let me down!! I accidentally shot the police officer instead of talking to him and thereby giving myself up. Needless to say I was killed (shot in the stomach I believe) and I lost contact with my LCS members.

So, onwards to try number 2.

Bye all.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

Happens to all of us.  I clearly remember wandering around, constantly talking to potential recruits, only to accidentally attack the people I was trying to recruit.  This was after playing this game for about 5 years.

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:35 am »

Hello!

Since there is already a topic for questions about LCS, I will ask some too!

1): How to upgrade a safehouse? I went to the cement factory safehouse, and can't find a way to upgrade it (I heard I could use a generator, a business front, but I don't know how to do it).
2): During interrogations, what does "expensive props" do?
2): bis: Could someone add a random line about making hostages play Superman 64 when using expensive props? Would surely be an awful torture  ;)!
3): What hallucinogenic drugs do?
4): Is it possible to brainwash a conservative without beating him up?
5): What is the effect of getting several liberal to tend to conservative hostages?
6): What does the business skill do?
7): How can sleepers gain juice?

Thank you!

Kent Able

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »

1) Use your liberal awesomeness and it will come [press the Z key to cycle through your safehouses and then I to invest in the upgrades]

2)Dildos and corkscrews no lube [Gives a bonus to Psychology?]
2a) Not moddable yet without touching the source

3) Makes liberal rainbow unicorns appear to suck the marrow from Conservative swine [It breaks down defences like Religion and Science otherwise those hostages would be tougher than normal to crack]

4)yes, maybe, depends [if Persuasion and Charisma? are high enough you can get them to like you enough to convert even if you did beat them up. Otherwise Psychology and Persuasion will eventually lower Wisdom and raise Heart to the point where once Heart > Wisdom they have a chance to convert.]

5) Gangrape [Everyone who participates in the "interrogation" will earn psychology experience]

6) Makes you a liberal pimp daddy [Gives a bonus to various actions like selling brownies as well as being used in interrogation for hostages with said skill]

7) They don't as of a few versions ago. Did that change again?

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:00:18 pm »

They gain juice by taking risks (embezzling funds, for example). This was true a few versions ago too. It caps out at 100 though, and they never get the ability to do direct action.

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:46:35 pm »

thank you! It was helpful!

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:19 am »

Thanks, that cleared things up.

They gain juice by taking risks (embezzling funds, for example). This was true a few versions ago too. It caps out at 100 though, and they never get the ability to do direct action.

So what's the deal with direct action? An upcoming feature?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »

More like a cancelled feature.  I have yet to read that anyone has any real plans to implement it.

It's a complicated and totally unimplemented feature that would need to be created from scratch.  It's not like adding another site or skill, from which there is at least a template and examples to follow.

Generally, Jonathan Fox has been responsible for creating totally new features, although there has been the occassional additions from other players (I'm specifically thinking of the Fireman HQ, but I know there are others).  But, he is now busy moving into the game industry, and probably doesn't have the time to create the direct action feature.  In fact, he's hinted at cutting it completely a couple times.

However, Jonathan has happily surprised the community by implementing features and improving LCS in ways that nobody though would actually happen.  He may do so again.

Also, the other people working on LCS are quite talented, recently producing a complete upgrade almost without Jonathan.  Perhaps they may be up to the challenge of implementing this feature.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »

And if I recall, the reason for direct actions going half way forward then backward, is because Jonathon and others had some balance issues with how Sleepers got used. They were quite powerful at one time. Now they're less essential. So that may be affecting his decision to revisit direct actions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GodlikeSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »

I have a few questions.
1. Where can I find mutants that won't try to claw me to death apparently there are ones who can be persuaded to join.
2. My leader seems to be stuck at 233 juice I cannot seem to get it any higher I used to just steal and raid the cosmetics place freeing the bunnies.
3. Now that the crack house glitch was fixed I have no idea how to effectively increase combat skills without having everyone die in a horrible massacre. Then ratting me out those bastards....
4. Last question is I have sleeper judges 6 i believe how do i know if they are preceding over the case or not it seems like trial just goes like normal and bad things happen.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »

1. If pollution laws are super lax (i.e. Arch-Conservative), you can find liberal mutants at the crack house at least.
2. Possible bug, but you could try doing riskier stuff, like killing conservative scum.
3. Learn some Dodge from the university (Gymnastics) and then go beat up genetic monsters at the corresponding lab.
4. It's probably random, like sleeper lawyers. Sometimes they can be in the right place at the right time, but not always. I'm guessing having more sleepers increases the chance, but I don't know.

GodlikeSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »

Are there any ways that the laws can get more arch conservative? I know obviously they can become more liberal or else there would be no point to the game, but can you do something that causes the country to be more conservatives?

Does killing the mutant animals not count as murder?

Doing riskier things didn't go so well I r very dead LCS disband  :'(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:01:01 pm by GodlikeSoldier »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7